526/4.0 WAMC/School List (Reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuroscifan

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I applied last cycle relatively late, then had a LOR seal the lateness with a September 30 submission. In hindsight, I think I should have indicated that it was no longer to be submitted in August or before, but the past is the past.

Last year I had nearly 0 hours of clinical exposure and only 30 hours of shadowing. This year I have over 500 hours of clinical exposure and almost 50 hours of shadowing. I have a 4.0 GPA and a 526 MCAT. I also think last year I applied too narrow and too high-end. I also have 1000+ hours of research, lots of mediocre to weak leadership (thousands of hours of tutoring and TA'ing), and a small amount of high-quality leadership (50-100 hours). I received one interview, from Columbia, in December of last year, but no acceptances. I feel like I botched the interview a bit, which felt super bad considering the hours and hours I spent preparing. (I was working nights, and I was scheduled for 6am my time, paired with pre-interview at a dream school jitters that led to approximately 0 hours of sleep).

My list last year is as follows:
Harvard,
NYU,
UCLA,
UCSF,
Columbia,
Wash U St. Louis,
Perelman,
Stanford,
Baylor,
Yale,
OHSU (I qualify for heritage applicant status, but thought I qualified for in-state, which led to a lot of confusion and may have contributed to a no-Interview from them)
UW (I didn't apply for their regional program, but qualify for it this cycle as an Idaho resident),
Minnesota,
Johns Hopkins,
Mayo.

I have completely revamped my application, including throwing out my old PS that contained a lot of red flags, rewriting my entire primary, and adding new experiences, such as clinical exposure, additional shadowing, and a new leadership experience, as well as a hobby/small business that I've been running for the past 2 years that I didn't think to include. I also submitted the primary on June 11th, and it is currently in queue for verification. Last cycle I submitted the primary on July 20th, and it was verified on August 31. I'm not sure where I should apply this cycle, but I am determined to apply much more broadly. For example, I now have a connection to two other states with close relatives that moved within the last year, and I plan to apply to schools in those states (North Carolina and Missouri).

I'm concerned that I haven't done enough to warrant reapplication to the same schools as last cycle, even though my dream schools are there, or at least the top 4 out of my 5 dream schools. I plan to apply to some masters programs in either my field of interest (Neuroscience) or in Biomedical sciences as a plan C, which would work out to being able to apply one last time after I finished a masters before my MCAT score expires, if I don't get accepted this year.

Any advice as to strategies for schools to apply to? Should I reapply to schools that I applied to last cycle? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your relatives moving to another state gives you no advantage when applying to medical schools in those states. I suggest these schools with your Idaho residency:
U Washington
Washington State
OHSU
Washington University
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Mount Sinai
Hofstra
Yale
Dartmouth
Harvard
U Virginia
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
Mayo
USC Keck
Kaiser

Your relatives moving to another state gives you no advantage when applying to medical schools in those states. I suggest these schools with your Idaho residency:
U Washington
Washington State
OHSU
Washington University
Northwestern
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Mount Sinai
Hofstra
Yale
Dartmouth
Harvard
U Virginia
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
Mayo
USC Keck
Kaiser
I was thinking of applying to schools in those areas more for personal support groups during medical school. Is it worth it to apply out of state to them for that purpose? Or should I focus on schools that are more likely to accept me based on my residence status? Thanks for taking the time to give me advice!

I was thinking of applying to schools in those areas more for personal support groups during medical school. Is it worth it to apply out of state to them for that purpose? Or should I focus on schools that are more likely to accept me based on my residence status? Thanks for taking the time to give me advice!
Washington University is in Missouri and Duke is in North Carolina and they are on my list.