53 year old graduates from medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are you serious?

With the current shortage of well-trained baristas, you'd better stick to Wal-Mart greeter, granny!

Burn.

Isn't the physician shortage induced by the fact that medical schools are so selective and won't increase their class size? My point being that barring older individuals from admissions won't really alleviate any issues. I'm sure they don't comprise a large portion of any medical school's incoming class.

Although there is truth some in his logic

Members don't see this ad.

WOW.. You are an ASS...You will make a wonderful doctor.

No, he's right. The more I know the more I realize that is insanity, utter insanity, to go to medical school past a certain age. I don't know the exact age but to graduate at 53 with the prospect of not finishing residency until around 60 is firmly in the "insane" category.

This mother****er is so not worth it...at least not like that. At that age medicine is just a hobby, not a serious career.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope to get this discussion warmed up again. I am 53 years old and have 72 weeks remaining in medical school. I have been a registered nurse for 30 years now--Med-Surg Telemetry.

As for how long anyone has to practice medicine or do anything else in life is God's decision. Time as enriched my view and appreciation for life:

12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4).

May the love of God be the guiding force in your practice. You have been blessed.

And only 72 weeks to go. :smuggrin::soexcited::soexcited:

After 30 years of nursing practice, I am still up and running. RNs work 12+ hours a day and may not even get a break [that is only 30 minutes]. And guess what? Nurses don't get to take naps in between patient rounds. I work with a nurse who is 70 years old--she waits on no one--bright and energetic.

You young chickens have a lot more to learn besides Histo and Biochem. You need to mature spiritually--God's wisdom always prevails and the measure of one's time is by HIS calculations alone!

12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.[Philippians 4].

jb.

There are laws against upper end age discrimination. She won't necessarily choose a 5 year residency, and there is nothing magic that forces people to retire at 65. For all we know, she could work another 20 years, if she's physically and mentally capable, and still interested.
I shadowed a doctor who is 80 and still working, he's an amazing doctor too, more than capable of still practicing medicine despite his age

I hope to get this discussion warmed up again. I am 53 years old and have 72 weeks remaining in medical school. I have been a registered nurse for 30 years now--Med-Surg Telemetry.

As for how long anyone has to practice medicine or do anything else in life is God's decision. Time as enriched my view and appreciation for life:

12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4).

May the love of God be the guiding force in your practice. You have been blessed.

After 30 years of nursing practice, I am still up and running. RNs work 12+ hours a day and may not even get a break [that is only 30 minutes]. And guess what? Nurses don't get to take naps in between patient rounds. I work with a nurse who is 70 years old--she waits on no one--bright and energetic.

You young chickens have a lot more to learn besides Histo and Biochem. You need to mature spiritually--God's wisdom always prevails and the measure of one's time is by HIS calculations alone!

12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.[Philippians 4].

jb.
Bumps 4 year old thread, only has 3 posts (2 of which are here), makes a bunch of overly religious statements... yeah this is legit.

jb.

wat