5R Difficulty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandulce321

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hard did people think this was compared to the others? I got a
10/11/10 and I'm FREAKING OUT! I broke the 30 mark :) Was there anything about this test that should make me think twice about my score?

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you I got completely owned by 5R
so far I've completed 3r 4r and 5r and I'm still trying to figure out what happened on 5R since I got
on 3R : 7PS 10VR 10BS
on 4R : 10PS 11VR 8BS
and on 5R: 6PS 10VR 6BS :(

And I thought I was doing fine with my progress so far. Well, I guess not everything is so great.

5R has been my best so far (1g, 3R, and 4R are the rest). The verbal was the easiest VR section I've come across so far, I was familiar with most of the passages. PS was relatively the same as 3R and 4R imo, but BS was kinda difficult. A little more genetics than the rest.

WilliamsF1 said:
5R has been my best so far (1g, 3R, and 4R are the rest). The verbal was the easiest VR section I've come across so far, I was familiar with most of the passages. PS was relatively the same as 3R and 4R imo, but BS was kinda difficult. A little more genetics than the rest.

williamsf1 - how did you grade 4R??

Members don't see this ad :)
eraser said:
I can tell you I got completely owned by 5R
so far I've completed 3r 4r and 5r and I'm still trying to figure out what happened on 5R since I got
on 3R : 7PS 10VR 10BS
on 4R : 10PS 11VR 8BS
and on 5R: 6PS 10VR 6BS :(

And I thought I was doing fine with my progress so far. Well, I guess not everything is so great.

don't feel bad--6 owned me... a 5 on verbal :< :smuggrin:

I got 13,5,11

I guess PS was way easier that April MCAT but Bio was way harder!

You guys are making me feel a little better. I have taken multiple tests from aamc, kaplan, and even a PR, I have been averaging about 28 and 5R ate me for lunch 7/8/7 :eek:

Anyway good luck everyone!!!

yea, 5R is a little harder. 4R is hard too. i did worst on 4R than 5R (i think it was from a bad morning). 6R was my best.

test 4R: 10PS 4VR 6BS
test 5R: 7PS 6VR 10BS
test 6R: 10PS 7VR 10BS

as you can see, i'm not great in verbal. any tips? :D

keba22 said:
...i'm not great in verbal. any tips? :D

:thumbup: By the looks of it, it doesn't seem like you need any. You've been improving, looks good! I think the more you practice, you'll start to see what the "right" answers will look like. I'm taking 6R on Friday so hopefully my VR can be consistent.

For 4R

10PS 10VR 10BS

I did about a week of studying in PS, and then on 5R I got

12PS 10VR 12BS

However, I'd definitely say that the BS was the hardest I've ever done, I felt like I was really stretching to get some of those answers. I still have quite a bit of studying and practice to do, but just so you know. I'd say the PS felt easier, but 4R was my first AAMC test, so it may have just been the adjustment from Kaplan to AAMC.

this makes me feel a little better. i didn't do so hot on 5r today...

just finished 5R...bio was ok, the verbal was very difficult, but i felt so unfocused/gittery, i hope to blame it on that.

PS was ok too, i suppose it was somewhat easier than some of the others

overall..the verbal was consistent, but tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
sekem said:
I got 13,5,11

I guess PS was way easier that April MCAT but Bio was way harder!

Hey i just got done taking my AAMC 5R and I was a little dissapointed about their conversion chart inside the back of the test...it doesnt give any section a score higher than a 12 and it blurrs some of the higher numbers together (10-11 ect). Can anyone tell me what a 71/77 (PS) 46/60 (VR) and a 63/77 BS converts to? Im not sure if the PS is high enough for a 14 (a guy can dream cant he?). Thanks guys.

bawer234 said:
Hey i just got done taking my AAMC 5R and I was a little dissapointed about their conversion chart inside the back of the test...it doesnt give any section a score higher than a 12 and it blurrs some of the higher numbers together (10-11 ect). Can anyone tell me what a 71/77 (PS) 46/60 (VR) and a 63/77 BS converts to? Im not sure if the PS is high enough for a 14 (a guy can dream cant he?). Thanks guys.

that translates into 13 (PS) 10 (VR) and 11 (BS). good job!!...i'd kill for a ps score like that...any recommendations?

sotired said:
that translates into 13 (PS) 10 (VR) and 11 (BS). good job!!...i'd kill for a ps score like that...any recommendations?

I did all EK 1001's for both G. Chem and Physics going over all the problems 2 to 3 times each. Then I made note cards on difficult concepts and every morning I review them. In terms of passages, i just briefly skim them (always being throughly confused afterward) and then go to the questions which can usually be answered off of proir knowledge or minimal passage information.

bawer234 said:
I did all EK 1001's for both G. Chem and Physics going over all the problems 2 to 3 times each. Then I made note cards on difficult concepts and every morning I review them. In terms of passages, i just briefly skim them (always being throughly confused afterward) and then go to the questions which can usually be answered off of proir knowledge or minimal passage information.

man...i've been working off of kaplan and am averaging around 10 for both ps and bs. do you think it'd be worth it to get the EK books now and review them?

just finished the test (its 12am) lol
this is my first practice test and plan on finishing at least 5 more

ps10 v7 bs10
made really stupid mistakes on the science tests (misread, and took too much time on particular questions) I got bored on the verbal and started thinking about other things, thats bad cause I dont want to get into a rythm of slacking on the verbal, its kind of late too hah

EK physics 1001 took me about 4-5 days to finish
EK chem 1001 took 3-4 days
woke up at 8am studied till 10pm with 3 hours for food, finished all questions, looked online for explanations and enhanced understanding of questions. they do have misprints and mistakes in the books, which makes you critically analyze the questions and check online for correct answers (theres not too many but there are mistakes)

theres 10 days before the test and putting all your concentration on one subject at this point might be worse then continually reviewing all subjects. It all depends on if your missing easy points or actual scientific concepts - review your tests and just keep practicing. 10's for ps and bs is med school level, dont worry too much.

sotired said:
man...i've been working off of kaplan and am averaging around 10 for both ps and bs. do you think it'd be worth it to get the EK books now and review them?
Considering you wouldnt get the books by mail for at least a few days its hard to say if there is enough time to help you, but if you just wanted to review a key trouble areas i would say that there are well worth the time and effort.

I completely regret not using EK. Now I just don't feel like forking over the $$ to buy it and use it for only 3 days or something, even though I already spent like $60 total on the verbal materials, though I don't regret it, I did go up from 7 VR to around 8-9 and maybe even higher depending on my future scores with ER, no thanks to Kaplan.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat--stuck around 10s for BS and PS, and I kind of blame it on stupid Kaplan and their pathetic books. Whenever I open those horrible things, I feel like sleeping =S

4s4 said:
I completely regret not using EK. Now I just don't feel like forking over the $$ to buy it and use it for only 3 days or something, even though I already spent like $60 total on the verbal materials, though I don't regret it, I did go up from 7 VR to around 8-9 and maybe even higher depending on my future scores with ER, no thanks to Kaplan.

But yeah, I'm in the same boat--stuck around 10s for BS and PS, and I kind of blame it on stupid Kaplan and their pathetic books. Whenever I open those horrible things, I feel like sleeping =S

ME TOO! ugh....stupid kaplan. hopefully we'll get a few more right in each section in the next ten days... :luck:

I'm in the middle of 5R (I'm on my 1 hour lunch break, yes, I'm doing the breaks just like the real thing). The verbal section so far, seemed much easier than the other practice tests I've done, but I'm pretty sure I got beat down by the PS. I noticed a few people say it was easier for them, but it was by far the hardest for me. hmm.... I'm kinda worried about the BS section now. I hate this, c'mon August 20!

lytesnsyrens said:
I'm in the middle of 5R (I'm on my 1 hour lunch break, yes, I'm doing the breaks just like the real thing). The verbal section so far, seemed much easier than the other practice tests I've done, but I'm pretty sure I got beat down by the PS. I noticed a few people say it was easier for them, but it was by far the hardest for me. hmm.... I'm kinda worried about the BS section now. I hate this, c'mon August 20!

For what it's worth, my 5R VR was higher than the rest of my practice exams (1g, 3R-7).