5th Letter of Rec for SF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosierdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3 LORs, one of which is from an ophthalmologist. I have a fourth as a Dean's Letter/MSPE. I will be finishing a month-long rotation with a private ophthalmologist that has been a very positive experience. Would it be of much benefit to have this person write me a LOR to send in as supplemental material for SF? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have 3 LORs, one of which is from an ophthalmologist. I have a fourth as a Dean's Letter/MSPE. I will be finishing a month-long rotation with a private ophthalmologist that has been a very positive experience. Would it be of much benefit to have this person write me a LOR to send in as supplemental material for SF? Thanks in advance.

I am in a similar situation. Do we send the new letter to SF Match? Individually to programs that have already extended us an interview? Individually to programs that have NOT yet extended us an interview? Individually to all the programs we applied to? Ask PCs if they are open to receiving a new letter on an individual basis? Wait until later in the season?

I am in a similar situation. Do we send the new letter to SF Match? Individually to programs that have already extended us an interview? Individually to programs that have NOT yet extended us an interview? Individually to all the programs we applied to? Ask PCs if they are open to receiving a new letter on an individual basis? Wait until later in the season?

SF match will not distribute an extra letter. You need to send it out to programs individually.

Members don't see this ad :)
SF match will not distribute an extra letter. You need to send it out to programs individually.

Just so there's no confusion, the deans letter (MSPE) does not count as a 4th letter of reference. It is part of the process and will be distributed by sf match but it has to go out after original application, because deans letters distribute later than some of the deadlines...

Good point DrZeke. A 4th LOR can be used where an MSPE is absent, and, so, I just lumped them as being synonymous, but you are correct. Essentially, I want to know if having a 4th LOR from another ophthalmologist sent to my programs of significant interest would help me either 1) get an interview, 2) better secure a good match ranking, or 3) both. This is assuming that the letter is, of course, good.

Good point DrZeke. A 4th LOR can be used where an MSPE is absent, and, so, I just lumped them as being synonymous, but you are correct. Essentially, I want to know if having a 4th LOR from another ophthalmologist sent to my programs of significant interest would help me either 1) get an interview, 2) better secure a good match ranking, or 3) both. This is assuming that the letter is, of course, good.

Hey I don't really see how it would change much unless they are super famous and say you are the equivalent of the best and it's heart felt. A phone call or email with that same sentiment from that same person would go just as far