5th year, UCSD, finishing in March 2017. Taking MCAT in July. What to do during intermediary phase?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SouKu

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a UCSD fifth year finishing with BS and BA degrees in Biochemistry/Cell Biology and Anthropology in March, as well as a Global Health minor. My first two years were abysmal, but my third, fourth, and fifth years have seen a tremendous upward GPA trend, especially with taking 20-22 units a quarter, and acing most, if not all, classes. I have one W unresolved, and two Ws which I retook for an A and A-. I have never failed any classes. I am 21 years old.

If my last quarter goes as well as I intend it to, I will finish with a ~3.42 overall GPA. I'm not sure how to calculate my BCPM GPA, but I know it's not particularly high, probably around a 3.4-3.5. My Anthropology GPA is nearly immaculate, but I understand that is nowhere as important as my science GPA.
  1. In regards to my extracurriculars, I did research in a molecular and cellular physiology lab at Stanford for 2 months, doing well enough to get recommended to a lab at The Scripps Research Institute, at which I did research for 2.5 years, eventually getting a publication, and perhaps another.

2. I have been an Emergency Department Research Associate at Thornton Hospital, enrolling patients in clinical studies for a year or so, and I am projected to complete approx. 200 hours by the end of my studies at UCSD. Among the topics currently being investigated are chest pain, abdominal pain, and medication adherence.

3. I will be tutoring middle school kids in science subjects, such as biology and chemistry, as well as maths during my last quarter at UCSD.

4. I have participated in trips to clinics in Mexico as well.

5. Finally, if it means anything, I won a 2nd place presentation award at a Global Health Research Symposium last year.
After March, I intend to study for the MCAT and take the exam in July. God-given a good score (515+?), I'll apply in 2018. However, the next 1-2 years will essentially be an intermediary phase during which I need to keep myself occupied, for the sake of medical schools knowing I haven't wasted my time and my parents' worries about earning money somewhat quelled. Any suggestions/alternatives to what I should do, and also what are my chances of getting in given my background? Right now, I intend to take up a job as a technician at a lab/hospital during that time. I'm one of the "model" minorities by the way (Asian/Indian). Is a Master's a good option too? I simply do not want to spend so much money on a Master's if it's not going to help me much either. However, if the Master's program offers a decent stipend and helps, I'm certainly interested.

Members don't see this ad.