6/10 HOw I Pimp Slapped the S#*t out of the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmpJBieberblast

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Herrooo Peepo of SDN... Just took my DAT today

I am reporting back to give back to the community since the SDN community has helped me soooo much. I LOVE SDN!

K so I am not here to brag about my score. Im here to inform you fellow DAT studiers how you can study and get a better idea what to expect from the real thing. Hence, I will not give you guys specific numbers as to what i've gotten in each section....

But for credibility purposes, I will tell you this....
All of my section was wayy over the 90 percentile... except my reading :p

First i want to tell you guys that DAT is a very doable test. If you put effort into it, it IS POSSIBLE!! Other people with 23+ that give their breakdown on SDN are nearly always some kind of science tutors in their university or majored in Biology..... IM NONE OF THOSE. Im a GRAFFITI artist that majored Fine Arts in a very gay city (im not gay). So seriously if dentistry is something u really want to do. its possible guys.

Stuffs i used:
Destroyer, Kaplan class, Cliffs , Math destroyer. 2007 sample

PAT:
So right off the bat I'll tell you this section got harder(took the DAT last year). Im an artist so this section comes naturally to me. i had 99.8percentile on this section last year but yes.... the RUMORS ARE TRUE.... PAT got harder.
Putting stuff in the hole section:
compared to kaplan pat stuff its right on the money. Only difference was that there were less angular objects.. but more curvy objects.
TFE:
I would say it was a bit easier than kaplan. for couple of questions it was a bit complicated so i had use counting lines technique.
Angle ranking:
Ridonculous. WAYYYYY harder than any practice exam i took. If youre on this forum often.. u should be familiar with the thread called "Proff that angle gods exist" well.... u know the example of the angle the OP posted? well there were angles that were even harder than that one... maybe 5 of those? Alot alot of questions... you had to compared to 180 degrees... i swear it nearly all looked 180 degrees. My strategy here is tilt your head left and right like a mad man. who cares if you look ******ed in the camera.
Cube couting:
same as kaplant pat or easier
Hole punching:
When i started this section, i seriously laughed out loud. caz it was ridiculous. Yes... they were "like making paper airplanes and ****" This section is the most obvious section in the WHOLE DAT that it was obvious that the DAT question makers were totally pissed off while making this section. comparing it to the last years... its 100 times harder. so many weiird folds. only way to prepare for this section make oragami and poke holes. Either that or u have to be born with natural perceptual ability. Theres nothing that u can use to prepare for this section since the change is so new.
Pattern folding:
It was about the same as Kaplan. A bit easier maybe?

RC:
ummm i know i suck at reading. but this section got harder too. Last year, i just used search and destroy and did pretty well. But now, Even though the passage is very scientific, you cant really use search and destroy. u have to understand what you read and do questions where they ask o are these two statements related? is one of them right but the other one is not not related? There were tons of these questions. Anyway im not a goo reader so i cant give u more advice

Bio:
OK forget what others say to scare u. This section is Sooo doable. So straight forward. i think the only reason ppl say "o this section is so random" is because they pull questions from most of every topic in biology. Maybe it feels random because there are so many topics in biology. Maybe ppl who say its random only focused on cell respiration stuff. caz i didnt have any on those. Honestly i felt like if you just know everything in AP cliffs youre good to go! Destroyer helped too i guess. but destroyer is too specific. questions are pretty general. You just have to combine different knowledge together to answer a questions. But ofcourse there were straight forward questions like what does this do? kind of questions.
GC:
Simple calculations. Simple concepts. Do destroyer to MASTER problem solving questions and read your chem book to understand the concepts. I would say there were 70 percent conceptual and 20 percent calculation. definitely understand chem not so much number crunching
OC:
the difficulty of this section is about the same as the sample 2007 in my opinion. It was that easy. If u do well in sample test, im guessing u will do well. Destroyer helped a BUNCH. best resource i recommend. but the predict the products questions had only maximum of 2 steps. Even those were very simple ones. Destroyer has ones with 4 to 5 steps lol....Also understand what electron donating elctron withdrawing groups can do to the compound.
QR:
Sucks for ppl that came to the states. You know why? USA dont use the standard metric system... so we have to know all these conversions!!!!!!! WHY O WHY?????? besides conversion stuff. it was easier than SAT math. O i hate trig. just use time wisely and yea the calculator lags. but only if you click the same number consecutively.

O and thank you logs for good advice and for giving me confidence! also thank you others that contributed to this forum

anyway hope this helped. bbai

Members don't see this ad.

Over 90th all around, wow thats great! Well done. What kind of conversions did you need to know and struggle with on the QR?

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup::thumbup: good job, but tell us your score! no one will think you're bragging or anything like that.

how long did you study for?

I would like to ask a question about g-chem. You mention that it's very conceptual... without giving any test content away can you give an example of how a g chem concept may be asked? I'm just trying to determine the level of global understanding I will need. Thanks!

First i want to tell you guys that DAT is a very doable test. If you put effort into it, it IS POSSIBLE!! Other people with 23+ that give their breakdown on SDN are nearly always some kind of science tutors in their university or majored in Biology..... IM NONE OF THOSE. Im a GRAFFITI artist that majored Fine Arts in a very gay city (im not gay). So seriously if dentistry is something u really want to do. its possible guys.

:)

Wow thanks for the advice =]

What kind of conversions should I know for QR?~

pound to ounce
foot to yard
foot to inch
inch to cm
mile to km
Celcius to Kelvin
Celcius to Ferrenhite

if you got these down youre good to go!!!

there were 5-6 trig questions :)

I would like to ask a question about g-chem. You mention that it's very conceptual... without giving any test content away can you give an example of how a g chem concept may be asked? I'm just trying to determine the level of global understanding I will need. Thanks!

hmmm let me try to remember....

a gas that does not behave like an ideal gas would....
figuring out oxidation agent reducing agent
wat is the bond angle of this moelcule
periodic trend

stuff like that. just simple stuff really. Dont psyche yourself out. its not a hard section like other say :)

Herrooo Peepo of SDN...

This is very irritating for some reason.

Just took my DAT today

I am reporting back to give back to the community since the SDN community has helped me soooo much. I LOVE SDN!

K so I am not here to brag about my score. Im here to inform you fellow DAT studiers how you can study and get a better idea what to expect from the real thing. Hence, I will not give you guys specific numbers as to what i've gotten in each section....

Stuffs i used:
Destroyer, Kaplan class, Cliffs , Math destroyer. 2007 sample

PAT:
So right off the bat I'll tell you this section got harder(took the DAT last year). Im an artist so this section comes naturally to me. i had 99.8percentile on this section last year but yes.... the RUMORS ARE TRUE.... PAT got harder.
Putting stuff in the hole section:
compared to kaplan pat stuff its right on the money. Only difference was that there were less angular objects.. but more curvy objects.
TFE:
I would say it was a bit easier than kaplan. for couple of questions it was a bit complicated so i had use counting lines technique.
Angle ranking:
Ridonculous. WAYYYYY harder than any practice exam i took. If youre on this forum often.. u should be familiar with the thread called "Proff that angle gods exist" well.... u know the example of the angle the OP posted? well there were angles that were even harder than that one... maybe 5 of those? Alot alot of questions... you had to compared to 180 degrees... i swear it nearly all looked 180 degrees. My strategy here is tilt your head left and right like a mad man. who cares if you look ******ed in the camera.
Cube couting:
same as kaplant pat or easier
Hole punching:
When i started this section, i seriously laughed out loud. caz it was ridiculous. Yes... they were "like making paper airplanes and ****" This section is the most obvious section in the WHOLE DAT that it was obvious that the DAT question makers were totally pissed off while making this section. comparing it to the last years... its 100 times harder. so many weiird folds. only way to prepare for this section make oragami and poke holes. Either that or u have to be born with natural perceptual ability. Theres nothing that u can use to prepare for this section since the change is so new.
Pattern folding:
It was about the same as Kaplan. A bit easier maybe?

RC:
ummm i know i suck at reading. but this section got harder too. Last year, i just used search and destroy and did pretty well. But now, Even though the passage is very scientific, you cant really use search and destroy. u have to understand what you read and do questions where they ask o are these two statements related? is one of them right but the other one is not not related? There were tons of these questions. Anyway im not a goo reader so i cant give u more advice

Bio:
OK forget what others say to scare u. This section is Sooo doable. So straight forward. i think the only reason ppl say "o this section is so random" is because they pull questions from most of every topic in biology. Maybe it feels random because there are so many topics in biology. Maybe ppl who say its random only focused on cell respiration stuff. caz i didnt have any on those. Honestly i felt like if you just know everything in AP cliffs youre good to go! Destroyer helped too i guess. but destroyer is too specific. questions are pretty general. You just have to combine different knowledge together to answer a questions. But ofcourse there were straight forward questions like what does this do? kind of questions.
GC:
Simple calculations. Simple concepts. Do destroyer to MASTER problem solving questions and read your chem book to understand the concepts. I would say there were 70 percent conceptual and 20 percent calculation. definitely understand chem not so much number crunching
OC:
the difficulty of this section is about the same as the sample 2007 in my opinion. It was that easy. If u do well in sample test, im guessing u will do well. Destroyer helped a BUNCH. best resource i recommend. but the predict the products questions had only maximum of 2 steps. Even those were very simple ones. Destroyer has ones with 4 to 5 steps lol....Also understand what electron donating elctron withdrawing groups can do to the compound.
QR:
Sucks for ppl that came to the states. You know why? USA dont use the standard metric system... so we have to know all these conversions!!!!!!! WHY O WHY?????? besides conversion stuff. it was easier than SAT math. O i hate trig. just use time wisely and yea the calculator lags. but only if you click the same number consecutively.

O and thank you logs for good advice and for giving me confidence! also thank you others that contributed to this forum

anyway hope this helped. bbai

Wow congrats on your score!

All >90th percentile except RC, that's pretty awesome.

he strongly implied that he got a 23 but for some reason refuses to post numbers. :confused:

TROLLLoLOLL okay chilax guys

DO YOU GUYS KNOW WHY SO MANY PREDENTS AROUND THE COUNTRY REFUSES TO COME TO SDN??????? INcluding all my friends????

These ppl with 28AA come to SDN and post their breakdown... this intimidates and discourages other predents. I mean.. u guys should know by now SDN community is made up of mostly the smarter kids.

Like i said, my purpose of the thread is to inform and encourage those that are studying now. Not to intimidate them

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job! If you are 90 percentile you have at least a 19/20 each section! well done!

I'm not gonna lie I kind of passed out drunk and just woke up to like 20 PM's on here and my facebook going off with congrats. I'll finish this celebration tomorrow ;)

DO YOU GUYS KNOW WHY SO MANY PREDENTS AROUND THE COUNTRY REFUSES TO COME TO SDN??????? INcluding all my friends????

These ppl with 28AA come to SDN and post their breakdown... this intimidates and discourages other predents. I mean.. u guys should know by now SDN community is made up of mostly the smarter kids.

Like i said, my purpose of the thread is to inform and encourage those that are studying now. Not to intimidate them

Why should people be discouraged? If they'd take the time to realize that out of 12000+ applicants the number of people who post on SDN are very limited and is completely NOT representative of those who get in.

Even the ones throwing down 26TS and AA is not even close representative if those even post on SDN.

here's data from 2009. for TS, 3063 test takers scored 19 or 20(closer to marticulated student average) while only 15 TOTAL scored 28 or better.

Gee I wonder what is easier to remember, 15, 28+ scores or 3000 scores that is closer to the average.

Congratulations!!! I am glad you did well. I agree about what you said. When I first came to this site I was amazed on the scores people got. I have even seen people complain about getting a 19 on the DAT. Seriously? Since when is 19 a bad score. That was what I was shooting for to begin with. We need to continue to help one another out and always give encouragement and not try to intimidate, which I know is not what anybody is trying to do.

You rocked the DAT and now you are free!! Time to start mailing off those checks to some dental schools. Yeah!!!

I agree, everyone needs to be supportive. Obviously if you get a low score (17ish) you should either not post, or if you do, get ready for critical feedback. But 18+ is cause for congrats...this is no small life event!

The thing with posting the actual numbers is that people tend to imitate or copy certain studying methods from those who were successful.

LOL, i dont know what you guys do but I take those scores on the post, hit "PrintScr" and set it as my desktop background for motivation haha!

I hate to say it, but your post would be far more credible if you provided future DAT-takers your scores.

Im glad your happy about your scores, but if you want to be more helpful, you need to provide people with your method of studies (which you've done) and WHAT YOU EARNED from that method.

Its NEVER bragging if its something you worked hard for and earned.

Just my 0.02

I hate to say it, but your post would be far more credible if you provided future DAT-takers your scores.

Im glad your happy about your scores, but if you want to be more helpful, you need to provide people with your method of studies (which you've done) and WHAT YOU EARNED from that method.

Just my 0.02

Would you please post your scores...maybe even a picture? Just saying...it's hard for me to believe any veracity of your claim of high scores, and furthermore, attempt to emulate your study methods without knowing 100% you truly received high scores. Like I said before, "just saying." I don't want to copy another persons study method if they got crappy scores, you know? Thanks :D

Would you please post your scores...maybe even a picture? Just saying...it's hard for me to believe any veracity of your claim of high scores, and furthermore, attempt to emulate your study methods without knowing 100% you truly received high scores. Like I said before, "just saying." I don't want to copy another persons study method if they got crappy scores, you know? Thanks :D
??
my scores are on my pre-dent profile

Just my 0.02

OMG DENTALWORKS youre so right!! i need to post HOW i studied. All i posted was what to expect on the real DAT. Ill be posting that later tonight :)) bit busy today. my sis graduated her undergrad!

Congratulations! But post your numbers!

+1. Posting actual numbers provides a baseline for others who are currently studying; claiming otherwise is just tainted nonsense. Intimidation is merely insecurity laced with doubt after doubt after doubt.

Hey guys! Here are my scores so everyone can stop whining :)

24TS
22AA
22PAT

HAPPPYY now?

my intention of not posting scores was for kind reason but i have no idea why ppl complain so much about how i dont post my scores!

how much did you study and did you read a lot of the bio kaplan stuff

I started studying for it since feburary. maybe 3-4 hours of studying. and then about month before, i started studying everyday every waking moment usually until 3 a.m i didnt do much stuff with kaplan bio. i mostly relied on AP cliffs. and i took an upper division bio class while studying which helped me tons.