6 classes freshman year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohnoes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been under quite a lot of stress my first year in college, at Brown. The first semester I only took three classes because I was having trouble adjusting and blamed myself for not going to school closer to home, as my mom was sick for a long time (though parents were the ones who wanted me to go here instead of UNC), one of which was pass/fail (even though I would've gotten an A), and I made As in the other two classes. This past semester I learned she only had three or so months the day before I left to go back, and passed away during the semester, so I missed a week and a half of school (I was home for two and a half weeks, but things got really bad around Spring Break, so that's where the extra week came from), and the months before I missed school it was pretty much all that was on my mind. I'm probably going to make 2As and a B in three of my classes or all As, but I could very well get a C in orgo because I simply haven't had time to catch up on all the stuff, and have had trouble focusing (at Brown there is no +/-. so it's either a C or a B); there's still time to take a medical drop for the class, which I can. Will med schools really look down on my only taking six classes the first year, only five of which are for a grade, or would they rather see four classes this semester, even with the C in orgo (when I'm positive I could've done better)? It's really something I've been struggling with, and any input would be appreciated

edit: I would've taken a medical leave this semester, but my mom and dad insisted that I stay so I can get adjusted; as I'm the first person in the family to go to college, they insisted that I go to the "best school possible". While I have gotten better adjusted to being here this past semester, that still hasn't really helped with all the obvious personal stress

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally withdraw--it seems like you have a good reason for it. And if you are sure you can pull an A next time around, it would be worth it.

I'm not sure I can pull an A, however the drop wouldn't show up on the transcript (drops/withdraws are only seen in internal records at Brown; yes, not fair, I know :p)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure I can pull an A, however the drop wouldn't show up on the transcript (drops/withdraws are only seen in internal records at Brown; yes, not fair, I know :p)

AMCAS tells you that ALL courses taken at a U.S. institution for credit, including courses that do not appear on transcripts, are to be reported. I'd be VERY careful if I were you about not disclosing any drops/withdrawals. You never know what information can get into AdComs' hands.

Best of luck,
-z

Please accept my sympathy for the loss of your mother. This past year must have been very difficult for you and it is impressive that your grades are so good considering the stress you have been under.

I would base you decision to drop orgo or not on how well you feel you understand the material. Orgo II does build on Orgo I and of course you need to know the material well for the MCAT. One 'C' on your transcript will make no difference at all if you do not drop. If you take the medical drop, perhaps you could take Orgo again this summer closer to home. The material will be fresh in your mind and it would be nice to get it out of the way.

First, I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Dealing with a personal loss and struggling to maintain control of a freshman year can be incredibly difficult. Sounds like you've done an earnest job. Second, congratulations on being the first one in your family to go to university.

This ultimately isn't a question we posters can really help you with. Before you make a decision based on anything anyone here says, please sit down with your advisor. You can explain your situation more specifically, and your advisor is seasoned in these kind of questions.

I would take an "excused withdraw" (terminology differs from institution to institution) or take the medical drop. Medical schools will understand your circumstances. I took an excused withdraw from a chemistry course after a bad bicycle accident made me miss two weeks of school. These types of things aren't uncommon.

And as another member said, if you drop a course, even a medical drop, you must list it on your AMCAS. There is no shame here. The only thing you'll have to do is write a few sentences about your first year in your personal statement. You can take organic next semester and push some other course, like Ethics 101, to the summer.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the input and well wishes. After talking to a Dean she said I could get permission for an "excused courseload reduction", which basically means I can end the freshman year only having six classes without going on academic probation or anything like that, and I thought that would be the best option. After taking five classes next semester I'll be back in normal academic standing. I'm going to talk to the premed Dean tomorrow and see what to do from here.

Here's to next semester, full of hard work... and hard play :cool: