Axiomatician

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Hey y'all. I took the 2009 DAT today! After doing not so great in organic, and brushing up over the weekend+ this week, I had a SHOCKER today.

I have 6 full days before I have to take my DAT. I am taking it on Friday, the 29th(at least trying to)!

My I have taken 2 full length Bootcamp tests in the past week, my scores were as follows:

DBC Test 2 DBC Test 3

Bio - 20 19
GC - 23 23
OC - 17 18
PAT - 19 20
RC - 18 21
QR - 18 19

Between the 2nd test AND 3rd, I really kicked it into gear and focused a TON on organic. I went through Destroyer again, entirely! I worked out all 6 road maps and Baby road maps. I studied at least 6 solid hours every day.

Here is the kicker! Let me tell you!

I originally wanted to take the 2009 today to see where I fell and if I needed to push my test back or not! Seeing as this was 'the best indicator of how you'll do on the real DAT' and how you should 'take the 2009 3 days before', as its the closest you'll get to the real thing, I SAW ONLY OPPORTUNITY to take this 2009 test for some raw numbers on how I would perform if the test was in a few days. I felt strongly like I was going to get a 20 AA, maybe get lucky or be more prepared than I actually thought and get a 21-22.

MAN WAS I SHOCKED!

My 2009 Scores from today:

Bio - 19
GC - 21
OC - 17
PAT - 24
RC - 20
QR - 19

TS - 19
AA - 19

So, after seeing this, is DBC really harder than the DAT? Is it only slightly harder, is it the same, is the 2009 harder than everyone thinks it is, I'm not sure. I'm not sure what to think. I was ready to reschedule after seeing my scores today, IN FACT, I may still tomorrow or even a couple days before the test if I don't feel really.

My conclusion: Are practice tests really nothing more than an attempt to make money from those who fear the unknown and seek mental security in wanting to do well in order to achieve this toothy dream? I want nothing more than to be able to run a practice and be my kind and loving self to patients, have my hands in mouths all day, and work on teeth! But before I can get that, I want to do well(HAVE to do well, tbh) on this DAT, like so many others.

Shoutout to Nancy! I've called her countless times at all hours in the day and evening, and she is so kind and puts so much effort to try and personally give advice to so many different students each and every day.
Thank you, Nancy, from my the bottom of heart. @orgoman22

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: orgoman22

sarriball

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2014
Status
Dental Student
You're looking way too far into the scores and the numbers. Know the material (Destroyer and BC) as well as you can and do your best. The more familiar you are with the material the better you will score.

Reactions: ImSirius
Mar 6, 2013
Fhloston Paradise
Status
Dental Student
At this point seeing the people who have scored bad on the real thing but good on practice test sort of makes me feel uneasy but honestly, I have studied so hard and even though I feel sort of unprepared for my test Tuesday, I have been scoring where I want to on practice tests. If my practice test scores aren't a good indicator then I will never be 100% prepared to take this thing and will just keep rescheduling for the rest of my days. There's just a point where you have to accept your unpreparedness, but also realize your degree of preparation has been sufficient. I pray every night that mine has as I do feel confident on everything but PAT, but only time will tell

BTW, as far as your scores go, only bio and OC seem to be a bit lower than the others. You have enough time to make improvements between now and Friday

Jul 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Hey y'all. I took the 2009 DAT today! After doing not so great in organic, and brushing up over the weekend+ this week, I had a SHOCKER today.

I have 6 full days before I have to take my DAT. I am taking it on Friday, the 29th(at least trying to)!

My I have taken 2 full length Bootcamp tests in the past week, my scores were as follows:

DBC Test 2 DBC Test 3

Bio - 20 19
GC - 23 23
OC - 17 18
PAT - 19 20
RC - 18 21
QR - 18 19

Between the 2nd test AND 3rd, I really kicked it into gear and focused a TON on organic. I went through Destroyer again, entirely! I worked out all 6 road maps and Baby road maps. I studied at least 6 solid hours every day.

Here is the kicker! Let me tell you!

I originally wanted to take the 2009 today to see where I fell and if I needed to push my test back or not! Seeing as this was 'the best indicator of how you'll do on the real DAT' and how you should 'take the 2009 3 days before', as its the closest you'll get to the real thing, I SAW ONLY OPPORTUNITY to take this 2009 test for some raw numbers on how I would perform if the test was in a few days. I felt strongly like I was going to get a 20 AA, maybe get lucky or be more prepared than I actually thought and get a 21-22.

MAN WAS I SHOCKED!

My 2009 Scores from today:

Bio - 19
GC - 21
OC - 17
PAT - 24
RC - 20
QR - 19

TS - 19
AA - 19

So, after seeing this, is DBC really harder than the DAT? Is it only slightly harder, is it the same, is the 2009 harder than everyone thinks it is, I'm not sure. I'm not sure what to think. I was ready to reschedule after seeing my scores today, IN FACT, I may still tomorrow or even a couple days before the test if I don't feel really.

My conclusion: Are practice tests really nothing more than an attempt to make money from those who fear the unknown and seek mental security in wanting to do well in order to achieve this toothy dream? I want nothing more than to be able to run a practice and be my kind and loving self to patients, have my hands in mouths all day, and work on teeth! But before I can get that, I want to do well(HAVE to do well, tbh) on this DAT, like so many others.

Shoutout to Nancy! I've called her countless times at all hours in the day and evening, and she is so kind and puts so much effort to try and personally give advice to so many different students each and every day.
Thank you, Nancy, from my the bottom of heart. @orgoman22

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Are you just using Destoryer for bio section?

I took the 2009 test too and my Ochem came out a it lower when I went to recheck it I made silly mistakes!

I'm sure you'll be good to go though bc those scores are consistent!

O Gaúcho

2+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2014
Status
Dental Student
At this point seeing the people who have scored bad on the real thing but good on practice test sort of makes me feel uneasy but honestly, I have studied so hard and even though I feel sort of unprepared for my test Tuesday, I have been scoring where I want to on practice tests. If my practice test scores aren't a good indicator then I will never be 100% prepared to take this thing and will just keep rescheduling for the rest of my days. There's just a point where you have to accept your unpreparedness, but also realize your degree of preparation has been sufficient. I pray every night that mine has as I do feel confident on everything but PAT, but only time will tell

BTW, as far as your scores go, only bio and OC seem to be a bit lower than the others. You have enough time to make improvements between now and Friday
Dude I think you are going to kill it! That DAT is very daunting to think about, but if you put in the time and preparation like you both have you will do great. Honestly the hardest part for me was the QR and that was due to BAD test taking and is so easily to avoided. I think I could have spent more time practicing my speed if anything

Reactions: rich123321

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
I took 2009 yesterday as well and did ~0-1 points better than my bootcamp average, but I get what you mean when you expected to do better on the 2009. Check what you got wrong and learn from it! This is an opportunity to better yourself, not feel bad about yourself!

Reactions: orgoman22
OP
Axiomatician

Axiomatician

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2016
Status
Dental Student
Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I have mainly used Destroyer for Biology. I feel like I have used it very well, taken tons of notes on anything I missed and didn't know or problems that I got correct, but which had information I didn't know about. Tons and tons of notecards too, honestly too many to use. I'm talking like 800+, more than I thought I ever made.

I am consistently doing bad in Biology and Organic, and I really don't know the best way to go about fixing these scores in 3 days! I am freaking out, gosh.

Jul 9, 2016
Thanks for all the replies! Yes, I have mainly used Destroyer for Biology. I feel like I have used it very well, taken tons of notes on anything I missed and didn't know or problems that I got correct, but which had information I didn't know about. Tons and tons of notecards too, honestly too many to use. I'm talking like 800+, more than I thought I ever made.

I am consistently doing bad in Biology and Organic, and I really don't know the best way to go about fixing these scores in 3 days! I am freaking out, gosh.
Just took my DAT last Thursday, I was also disappointed with my 2009 scores the week before, and I felt the same exact way. Rule Number 1: DON'T FREAK OUT. Trust yourself and how much time, effort you have put into this thing. I know it is easier said than done, but man panicking and stressing about practice scores ONLY HURTS you.

Relax, take some deep breaths. Get off this forum, go for a jog. Review your materials for a couple of days, ignore scores, and just go take your test and be confident.

Reactions: Denizen

Charles_Darwin

2+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Just took my DAT last Thursday, I was also disappointed with my 2009 scores the week before, and I felt the same exact way. Rule Number 1: DON'T FREAK OUT. Trust yourself and how much time, effort you have put into this thing. I know it is easier said than done, but man panicking and stressing about practice scores ONLY HURTS you.

Relax, take some deep breaths. Get off this forum, go for a jog. Review your materials for a couple of days, ignore scores, and just go take your test and be confident.
Perfect advice :)

Aug 9, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
In my experience, both the 2007 and 2009 DAT's were harder than DBC. I scored 1-2 points lower on those than I averaged across the five DBC practice tests. My actual score on the DAT was about he average of my DBC tests, and I even did a little better on PAT than I was normally doing.

I think training yourself to stay calm is very smart. Getting nervous during the actual test will for sure impact your score. If you have put in the work you know you needed to and done a handful of practice tests to get comfortable with timing, you will score at your best. I had already done the pre-test Prometric tutorial months beforehand (I think I found it on the ADA website under how to prepare for the DAT). You get fifteen minutes to go through it before you begin the natural sciences section, and I used that time to just breath and try to calm the normal anxiety that I'm sure everyone gets when you sit down in front of that computer.

Reactions: Axiomatician