6 in any section = Kiss of Death?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is basically what my advisor told me.

That at some schools they wont even bother with the application if they see a 6 in any section of the MCAT :(

what are the minimum reqs for DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

They all have different criteria. From what I've heard, only a few have actual cutoffs. I read that some won't accept anything UNDER a 6, but a 6 will be considered.

You have to also know that with DO schools, they really do look at other aspects of your application. MD schools are notorious for eliminating candidates based solely on their grades and/or MCAT's. DO schools have the intelligence to dig a little deeper and see if their are "mitigating factors", which might make you a successful student and resident.

It's possible that your advisor was just trying to motivate you or give you the "realistic" outlook.

It's also possible that he/she doesn't know that much about the process.

It depends on your overall score and what the 6 was in.

My Verbal was my lowest score (8) but my writing section was an S. Supposedly it helped me out a bit. Plus, they found out that I could read, so it was cool.

Make sure your application is solid. Really make it look good. Then apply and wait.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 6PS, and combined score of 23Q. So far I've had four interviews: AZCOM, UHS, LECOM, and KCOM. I've been accepted at UHS and will be interviewing at NOVA on Oct. 25. So a 6 in any section does not necessarily equal the kiss of death. Have faith, I thought I would have to reapply but things have worked out, as they will with you.

Yossarian
You don't need to give me exact numbers, but what was your GPA?

Thanks

GPA that AACOMAS is a 3.70 overall, and 3.67 science. I have no problems discussing my scores or anything like that so if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Originally posted by Yossarian
GPA that AACOMAS is a 3.70 overall, and 3.67 science.

That's why the 6 didn't hurt you too much.

Good luck all!

it would help if my gpa was higher, but my post bacc gpa is only a 3.0 science and a 3.1 overall. My gpa for when I earned a degree in my previous college is a 2.5 with a science gpa of 1.8.

As for his qualifications, he's setup two medical schools and been the dean of admissions at them here in Texas. So I do trust him when he says this stuff. But his experience is with the allopathic schools and he wasn't very sure about osteopathic schools. He's been motivating me since day 1, so I dont think this was a scare tatic of his.

But I am a bit more hopeful now that someone has had interviews and acceptance with a low score. At this point I am just hoping for interviews so that when I reapply ths summer for the next application cycle I'll have some added experience (mind that I am not applying to a ton of schools right now - only 4 DO and 2 Israeli Allo schools).

Imbebo:

My April MCAT was : 9BS, 8VR, 6PS :( WS-Q.

Many DO schools I called up did not look favorably on 6PS and told me to retake (esp. the Northeast DO schools like PCOM, UMDNJ, UNECOM). Also I had only a 3.1 science. With the first set of scores got an interview at AZCOM and TUCOM by mid-August, and put on hold at DMU. Those were my only interview offers. I just recieved a rejection from CCOM and after my interview at AZCOM was put on their waitlist. Interview at TUCOM on 11/4.

Retook MCAT Aug. 2002 and I am in decent shape

9BS, 8VR, 8PS:D and WS-P.

I hope I get more interview offers from DO school with my 25P.

I am just trying to put things to you in a realistic light that is all.
I have a masters in public health as well.

NJDESI

njdesi
I had a 25S on my MCAT but I only took it once and was told that it was a factor in looking at my score. As for your interview at TUCOM, stress any clinical experience that you have during your interview, if you can. Make sure to convey to the interview panel that you LIKE people and enjoyed working with patients.
This made up for my MCAT score and my gpa 3.13 overall and 3.13 science.

I too had a poor gpa when I first went to college: 2.6 freshman year, 2.7 sophmore. I had a few years off between my poor grades and my good grades so it didn't look like I was being irresponsible. My post bacc grades are over 3.2, I've made the dean's list a few times and I have gotten A's in the hardest courses. Strange but the easier the course, the worse grade I seemed to get (I wonder.... do you think maybe I was bored and I needed the challenge to get good grades???) I am hoping this is the trend and that it will help me in med school because I prefer the challenge.

JPHazelton, yes the S was a factor. I was accepted at TUCOM and afterword was told that it DID matter that I got an S because it demonstrated an ability to communicate.

I won't post my scores cause truly MCAT/GPA/Numbers aren't everything.

When people say DO schools look past the numbers they aren't kidding and I'd say I'm the poster child for that (I believe many of us feel this way).

As a rule of thumb, I'd say >20MCAT, GPA >3.0 its definitely worth a shot if you can write a VERY EXCELLENT essay to suppliment your application with. I have a dirty little feeling my essays and clinical experiences are saving my butt and covering some nasty MCAT verbal scores...

interviewed LECOM today...

off to UNE in Nov...

well i suck, i got a 6 in all sections..you think I could get in? LOL...I wish though. everything else is good ecxept for my 6-6-6...its gotta be a sign...

Hey sweetthang, dont let that score discourage you. I know you have great credentials and so much to offer a medical school. Just retake the exam, its not that big of a deal. Just remember, have patience and perservere through situations like this, they will make you that much better of an individual.

P.S. you make my heart flutter :love:

Don't give up...don't ever give up. - Jim Valvano

Now, he had cancer and wasn't applying to medical school, but you get the idea.

Work hard and don't let people tell you that you can't.

Good luck.