6 in verbal!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SRS

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 6 on the verbal section and applied to schools this year. I received some interviews and even one from a top 30 school which I have been waitlisted at. My interview went really well and I have a 3.92 gpa as well as over all good scores on the rest of the mcat (PS = 13, B = 10). I am so pissed that this one stupid section of the test messed up so many of my dreams and all the hardwork from the past 3 years of my life. So many people on this thread talk about how their 8 in the verbal section is not good enough,etc. Do you think I have a shot at getting into the top 30 school I am waitlisted at? Obviously, since they kept me this long it means they are looking past this score and see something that they like in me right? any comments would be appreciated. thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I think we could be more helpful if we knew more about you (like what school you're waitlisted at for starters). Schools don't only judge people based on mcat scores. If they have interviewed you, they must have liked you on paper.

best of luck, and again, welcome to sdn :)

I can't really say what your chances are at your top-30 school. Every school puts different emphasis on MCAT verbal. It doesn't seem like NYU thinks it's critically important, because their application says that you should have >10 on BS and PS. On the other hand, couple of schools told me that they feel that the verbal score is the most important indicator of how a student might do in med school and on the boards. Focus on the fact that, at the schools you interviewed at, you were able to get through the pre-interview screening. That means those schools did deem your academic credentials to be impressive in spite of your MCAT scores.

What matters is that you've gotten some interviews despite your verbal score. Your verbal score should've been largely taken care of during the pre-interview screening (although I'm not saying it won't be considered at all post-interview). With the schools that you interviewed at, what's a LOT more important than your verbal score at this point is how you did in the interview. So don't fret too much about your verbal scores in regards to the schools you interviewed at. But, in the meantime, you should perhaps start preparing for the August MCAT in case you have to reapply next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry that much about one number! Schools always look at more than mcat scores and if you application is well-rounded, and it sounds like it is, you should call up the school and express your interest in them.

i know a guy with similar score (6,13,13) who was waitlisted at UCLA but in the end they could not pull the trigger and accept him. he is very bright and capable and determined to matriculate into a top school (rightfully given his accomplishments)and so is retaking the MCAT this august. your scores indicate that reading comp is not a problem so most likely if you retake the test your score will be higher and you will be unstoppable. Good luck!

I also agree with all the above posts. You know yourself the best and your dedication has reflected upon your overall good academic record (and hopefully from other relevant activities.) Believe in yourself. Present yourself politely and assertively to those schools and they will see your genuine interest and dedication.

Whatever may happen, I wish you all the best luck!! Be realistic though…I told myself the same thing. Prepare for whatever may happen, lay out the strategy and go from there.

hey !!
I think I have talked to you before, but I have the exactly same MCAT score as yours.
I am currently waitlisted at Vandy and Dartmouth.
Haven't heard from Einstein yet.
I don't really care if I don't get in this year.
I retook that MCAT last saturday, but I haven't told schools yet.
I think I did better than '6' because it is very hard to get '6' again. :wink:
PM me if you want to talk more.

Good luck.

hey everyone, thank you so much for the great advice and support. I guess I was really upset when I saw my scores because if the verbal score is an indicator of medical school performance then maybe I might have trouble in medical school. I always had trouble on the verbal practice exams but I usually scored around an 8 sometimes a 10. The problem mainly was I read slow, my accuracy was awesome but it took me too long and also I had trouble concentrating on stuff I was not interested in and on the mcat I was stuck on some passage about music and one about literature. I was so motivated as a student but all of a sudden lost all motivation and start thinking a lot to myself if I should even be where I am. I think it all has to do with this score too. I totally lost confidence and I know thats stupid. I might not be among the brightest students but I think the thing some schools are seing in me is my ability to relate to people. I know almost every med school that didn't consider me rejected me due to this single verbal score since the rest of my app is pretty much well rounded with leadership, research, etc. the funny thing is the school I'm on the waitlist for was my number one choice when I started applying. but in the end, this med process really has worn me out and I've tried to hide everything and it seems like you guys are the only ones I can share this with. Its just that I've worked so hard my years as an undergrad that I don't know if I will be able to take it if I don't get into this school.

Hi SRS,

I just wanted to give you a heads up... I know how you feel. But don't worry, if the rest of your application is in good shape, you will get in somewhere!

I have a 7 on the verbal (I am a non-native), and got 3 acceptances.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Chnobli
:D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Chnobli:
•Hi SRS,

I just wanted to give you a heads up... I know how you feel. But don't worry, if the rest of your application is in good shape, you will get in somewhere!

I have a 7 on the verbal (I am a non-native), and got 3 acceptances.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

Chnobli
:D •••••hey, would you mind telling us where you have gotten into?

Hi Legi,

Sure. I got into NYMC, Albany Medical College and UCSD.

Chnobli :D

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Chnobli:
•Hi Legi,

Sure. I got into NYMC, Albany Medical College and UCSD.

Chnobli :D •••••Wow... Congratulations !!

hi Legi, its good to know that you have had some success with a similar mcat score to mine. Did you mention anything to the committees about how you are disappointed in your score and that it doesn't reflect your actual ability, etc? I'm just wondering if I should be doing anything at this point. The waiting is seriously killing me; I know that my fate will be decided between may 15 and june 1 and its hard to enjoy my senior year not knowing anything. thanks again for everyones advice and support

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SRS:
•I got a 6 on the verbal section and applied to schools this year. I received some interviews and even one from a top 30 school which I have been waitlisted at. My interview went really well and I have a 3.92 gpa as well as over all good scores on the rest of the mcat (PS = 13, B = 10). I am so pissed that this one stupid section of the test messed up so many of my dreams and all the hardwork from the past 3 years of my life. So many people on this thread talk about how their 8 in the verbal section is not good enough,etc. Do you think I have a shot at getting into the top 30 school I am waitlisted at? Obviously, since they kept me this long it means they are looking past this score and see something that they like in me right? any comments would be appreciated. thank you•••••Hi There. 13 10 6 is still below a 30, which is going to be below the mean for most top 30 schools, in fact, i think all of them. Albeit, your GPA is stellar, so having a lower MCAT would be acceptable.
However, I also know that schools would rather see a balanced score,..i.e. 10,10,10 rather than a 13,10,7

In my own situation, i received a 7, 12, 13 the first time i took the test. Although a 32 isnt that bad, i knew that having a low verbal would hurt me so i opted to retake the test. The second time i prepared for the test, i spent about 70% of my time on verbal. I read alot of political history books and did tons of verbal passages. The work pays off: got a 11, 12, 13.

Studying for the MCAT again is a nightmare, i guess. But to be candid, that 6 on your verbal is going to really hurt. I think you should take the test again and spend a disproportionate amount of time studying for the test.

Personally, when i took the test the first time, i finished all the sections with time to spare. The second time i took it, i didnt even finish a passage and got an 11. I think "speed" reading is a tactic that may not work for all. Take your time and be accurate.

Good luck! :clap:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by SRS:
•hi Legi, its good to know that you have had some success with a similar mcat score to mine. Did you mention anything to the committees about how you are disappointed in your score and that it doesn't reflect your actual ability, etc? I'm just wondering if I should be doing anything at this point. The waiting is seriously killing me; I know that my fate will be decided between may 15 and june 1 and its hard to enjoy my senior year not knowing anything. thanks again for everyones advice and support•••••Hi.
I didn't say anything about my MCAT scores.
I thought if the schools were to take me, they would take me regardless of excuses I make.
I am actually preparing myself to take time off.
I somehow think that it is to my benefit if I stop thinking about my poor performance on the verbal section.
Good luck and PM me if you want to talk more.