Aug 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everyone. I know in general people tend to need around 3 months of intense studying for the DAT. However my retention of the subjects from college is virtually 0. I was very depressed throughout college and solely crammed, the information just went in and out. I truly need to go back and relearn all my bio and ochem and gen chem from scratch, I have no foundation. Is 6 months enough to do this?
Thank you all

Punt me

Hiya!
2+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2017
Status
Dental Student
6 months is definitely not an overkill for someone with weak basis in topics.

If you have to build the basics of gen chem and orgo from the very beginning, it will easily take 3+ months. Biology is pure memorization and can take some time if you don't remember much.

One thing to note, though. That study style of yours won't hold for long when you are in dental school.

Reactions: orgoman22
Aug 20, 2018
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi everyone. I know in general people tend to need around 3 months of intense studying for the DAT. However my retention of the subjects from college is virtually 0. I was very depressed throughout college and solely crammed, the information just went in and out. I truly need to go back and relearn all my bio and ochem and gen chem from scratch, I have no foundation. Is 6 months enough to do this?
Thank you all
One thing I learned from taking the DAT twice, it’s about the quality of your studying, not the quantity. So just make sure when you’re actually studying for it, you’re actually learning the material and not just “thinking” you’re learning it.

Reactions: orgoman22
Aug 3, 2018
6 months is plenty of time. probably too much time because you going to forget most of the stuff you studied. cut it down to 3 months but increase the amount of hours you study in a day. that will be more beneficially then studying a couple hours a day for 6 months.

orgoman22

DAT DESTROYER... Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
10+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2005
New York City
www.orgoman.com
Status
Non-Student
Thank you all
I have been working with students many years, in a classroom setting and online. No 2 students are alike. There is no way I or anyone else can determine how much time you will need to prepare. Starting from scratch is a big statement and I assume you you have to go back to the very basics and relearn the sciences. That is going to take some time, not to mention you need to also prepare for the PAT, reading and Math. Don't put time constraints on yourself, take your time, you will know when you are ready to take the DAT. The DAT is a VERY challenging exam and without proper preparation you could face a retake and that is not what you want.

By far the biggest mistake I see students make is taking the exam before fully prepared.

Wishing you the best

Nancy, co-owner/orgoman/DAT Destroyer

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019
Status
Medical Student
6 months????? Hell no. You could honestly do it in a month and a half with a good schedule.

whoops saw you are relearning everything. Still doable in 2-3 months. You’ll remember more than you think you will!