AubreyMaturin

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
113
1
Status
I got accepted to BU an I am hoping to get accepted to Tufts as well since I am graduating from Tufts U in May (I interviewed in December and was deffered).

Assuming acceptance to both, which would you choose and why?

Tufts has traditionaly had a slight advantage over BU in terms of name recognition etc..., but lately that is not the case, they are neck and neck.
 

YzIa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
812
1
Status
AubreyMaturin said:
I got accepted to BU an I am hoping to get accepted to Tufts as well since I am graduating from Tufts U in May (I interviewed in December and was deffered).

Assuming acceptance to both, which would you choose and why?

Tufts has traditionaly had a slight advantage over BU in terms of name recognition etc..., but lately that is not the case, they are neck and neck.
Go finances if you personally don't like one over the other.
 

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
498
0
39
Encinitas, CA
Status
I'm in the same position you are. I was leaning more towards Tufts over BU because they do still have the slight edge in matching competitive residencies. Tufts' facilities are also nicer and their faculty are some of the most prestigious in the nation. I also like how Tufts' eases you into your first year by post poning the extremely hard courswork until second semester, leaving ample time for their huge plethora of internships during the first semester. Their high tech teaching tools are also unparallel. Having gone to BU for my masters I have to say that their facilities are somewhat ghetto and their teaching tools are on the low budget end (strictly speaking first and second year). I have to admitt, I'm almost hoping I don't get accepted to Tufts so that I don't have to make that decision :p
 

oniwindu

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2004
146
0
Status
RaistlinMajere said:
Tufts also has excellent combined programs, which may be something to consider.
Yes, I would definitely agree. I hope to be in the same predicament as the OP. I have an acceptance from BU, and am hoping to get an acceptance to Tufts' MD/MPH dual degree program. (My interview for Tufts isn't until March 8th, so it might be a while until I found out good/bad/maybe news.) If I did get into Tufts MD/MPH, I think I would be shooting for Tufts over BU in that respect since Tufts has a very well-established reputation for their dual-degree programs. Again, hard choice as both are great schools. Good luck!
 

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
1,247
4
Status
I think it depends on what is more important to you -- innovative pre-clinical curriculum or better clinical opportunities. I'd put Tufts in the former category and BU in the latter. BMC is an awesome place to see a lot of crazy path, while NEMC has been suffering some, esp the children's hospital. Also, some of the Tufts class gets assigned to do all their rotations in Springfield or Maine, I forget which, which would sort of suck. But their pre-clinical curriculum blows BU's out of the water, esp in terms of early clinical exposure. Those are the options I would consider.
 

scooter31

'Ello Guv'nah!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2002
1,067
5
LAS <---> BOS
Visit site
Status
Tufts all the way, as I have hopes to get into their ever elusive, rarely hear of MD/DVM program...
 
OP
A

AubreyMaturin

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
113
1
Status
Cool a Weis and Hickman Fan.
 
OP
A

AubreyMaturin

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2005
113
1
Status
cammy1313 said:
Their high tech teaching tools are also unparallel. Having gone to BU for my masters I have to say that their facilities are somewhat ghetto and their teaching tools are on the low budget end (strictly speaking first and second year):p
The facilities that I saw during my interview where not getto, they where actually brand new. Maybe they only show us the good stuff, but the Anatomy labs and everything in that area was state of the art. What did you do your masters degree in? Was it a subject that provided exposure to the BU med facilities

Finally, I will probably go with Tufts because I am a Tufts U grad and beccasue it is closer to my house. But I have to get accepted first!!!
The main drawback that I see is rotations in Maine or BFE Mass, and a BU seems to have a more extensive clinical network.
 

RaistlinMajere

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2004
540
1
Boston
Status
Medical Student
I believe the rotations are done via a lottery so you might not have to go to Maine. In fact, I think you probably wouldn't wind up in Maine unless you wanted to (famous last words?). Not that there's anything wrong with Maine. I like Maine. But I like Boston better.
 

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
1,247
4
Status
AubreyMaturin said:
The facilities that I saw during my interview where not getto, they where actually brand new. Maybe they only show us the good stuff, but the Anatomy labs and everything in that area was state of the art. What did you do your masters degree in? Was it a subject that provided exposure to the BU med facilities
Yes, cammy took classes with the BU meds. The lecture halls *are* ghetto and the student center area of the building is in the smelly basement next to the cafeteria. Also, there just aren't many high-tech things about BU. But it gets the job done.

AubreyMaturin said:
Finally, I will probably go with Tufts because I am a Tufts U grad and beccasue it is closer to my house.But I have to get accepted first!!!
Tufts med is closer to your house than BU med? They're about a mile apart. Is that really an important factor? Just curious.
 

Acherona

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
605
19
Status
Attending Physician
stinkycheese said:
Yes, cammy took classes with the BU meds. The lecture halls *are* ghetto and the student center area of the building is in the smelly basement next to the cafeteria. Also, there just aren't many high-tech things about BU. But it gets the job done.

Tufts med is closer to your house than BU med? They're about a mile apart. Is that really an important factor? Just curious.
You have to take a Boston PUBLIC BUS (= slow & unreliable) to get to BU :thumbdown:
Or long chilly walk from the greenline :thumbdown:
Or you can live in the South End/Roxbury :thumbdown:

Personally I liked both schools but would probably go with Tufts due to location/buildings being nicer but I'm superficial like that. The exhorbitant tuition doesn't bode well though.
 

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
1,247
4
Status
Acherona said:
You have to take a Boston PUBLIC BUS (= slow & unreliable) to get to BU :thumbdown:
Or long chilly walk from the greenline :thumbdown:
Or you can live in the South End/Roxbury :thumbdown:
Or you could take the reliable BU shuttle from Kenmore/Allston.
Or you could take the Silver Line.
 

Acherona

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2004
605
19
Status
Attending Physician
stinkycheese said:
Or you could take the reliable BU shuttle from Kenmore/Allston.
Or you could take the Silver Line.
How can something called the BU shuttle be convenient? Probably runs every 20 minutes and stops at 9pm. Silver line is a fancy name the MBTA gave to a busline to mitigate taking away the subway from poor people.

Yes, my view is basically that if you have to take a bus in Boston your commute will probably suck.
 

CarleneM

patent pending
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2004
689
1
38
Watertown, MA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Acherona said:
How can something called the BU shuttle be convenient? Probably runs every 20 minutes and stops at 9pm. Silver line is a fancy name the MBTA gave to a busline to mitigate taking away the subway from poor people.

Yes, my view is basically that if you have to take a bus in Boston your commute will probably suck.
I curse the 47 bus on a daily basis (a public bus), especially in the evenings. Waiting over an hour during peak travel times is no fun, especially in the winter. The solution i've found is working out much better- a boyfriend to pick me up from work. However, isn't bu med along the number 1 bus route? the number 1 comes very very frequently and isn't one of those notoriously terrible ones like the 47.
 

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
1,247
4
Status
Acherona said:
How can something called the BU shuttle be convenient? Probably runs every 20 minutes and stops at 9pm. Silver line is a fancy name the MBTA gave to a busline to mitigate taking away the subway from poor people.
:laugh: The BU shuttle is free, faster than a city bus, and direct to the med school. It runs every half hour and they do have late-night service. Although I'm not really sure why this matters to you?

Are buses or the silver line great? No. But I don't find the orange line all that convenient either. Commuting in Boston sucks, period. I just don't think that one has to have sour grapes about it all the time! And I especially don't feel like it's a great reason to choose a medical school.
 

stinkycheese

Stinky and Cheesy
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2004
1,247
4
Status
CarleneM said:
I curse the 47 bus on a daily basis (a public bus), especially in the evenings. Waiting over an hour during peak travel times is no fun, especially in the winter. The solution i've found is working out much better- a boyfriend to pick me up from work. However, isn't bu med along the number 1 bus route? the number 1 comes very very frequently and isn't one of those notoriously terrible ones like the 47.
Yeah, BU's on the 1. A pretty straight shot from Back Bay, Kenmore, Pru, etc, etc.