6 year foreign med school or go to college and do premed? HELP A HS STUDENT OUT?

Discussion in 'hSDN' started by redence, Oct 8, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. redence

redence

Apr 6, 2017
    ?zasdsa

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017 at 3:10 PM
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mfrey28

mfrey28 5+ Year Member

Jul 3, 2012
    No, just no.

4. AttemptingScholar

AttemptingScholar

Apr 1, 2016
    So your GPA isn't very bad at all, but I understand how it's viewed so I won't focus on it here. Let's say, for the sake of the argument, that you are a (relatively, for med school purposes), a poor student.

If this is true, YOU WILL NOT DO WELL ON THE USMLE IN A CARIBBEAN SCHOOL. You just won't. I say that with as much certainty as I can say about anything for the future. The teachers won't be good, the study experience will be bad (like you said, third world country!), and the USMLE was designed for four years undergrad then med school, which you won't have done.

You probably won't convince them about non-MD paths right now, so keep an open mind about that, but it might not be the best thing to argue. But, if they're so convinced you're a subpar student (you aren't), how will sending you to a bad school make up for that? There's no logic there.

Tell them that the Caribbean system has changed in the past 20 years--it used to be good. It isn't anymore. Tell them DOs are merging with MDs, which means the different options for in-country stuff is growing (and thus, out-of-country stuff is shrinking). Tell them residency programs don't want students who jump the gun.

If you search around on SDN, some people have crunched the numbers. Carib schools will tell you that they have a high percentage match, but if you look you can see how many dropped out before trying and thus aren't in that stat.

If they don't listen, do your own thing. Plenty of people go to college without financial support, though it's difficult. Don't let your parents ruin your life.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  5. Dr.J.D

Dr.J.D Probationary Status

Jul 17, 2016
    From what I've heard, if you can get a good score on the USMLE from an international school ( which is significantly harder than from a US school) then you can get into med school in America.

6. sb247

sb247 wait...you mean I got in? 5+ Year Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Galt's Gulch
    Don’t listen to two people who didn’t make it when they tell you to do what they did.....if you can’t make it into a us med school, don’t go to med school

AttemptingScholar and Dr.J.D like this.
  7. Dr.J.D

Dr.J.D Probationary Status

Jul 17, 2016
    Before I just skimmed through your post , but I just realized now: What is wrong with your parents? No offense, but they both failed doing the exact same thing they want you to do! The pre reqs for med school and PA schools are basically the same, so just take the pre reqs, do ECs and just take the MCAT and GRE. If you do good on the MCAT and have a high GPA , then go for it!

8. splik

splik Professional Cat at Large 7+ Year Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Physician
    Faculty
    You need to get away from your parents as fast as possible and don't look back. You cannot live the life that your parents wish they had had (and it sounds like they are both failures and trying to live out their own wishes through you). You may decide that you don't even want a career in the health professions at all. Also there are other countries besides the caribbean (i.e. in Europe) where one can attend a real medical school and try to obtain your medical education if you so wish. If you do not have the aptitude to cope with a US medical school (and really you're still young and have lots of potential to grow and do well academically) you aren't going to pass the USMLEs. Based on what you've said, your parents are abusive. Run!

AttemptingScholar likes this.
  9. Sharknad0

Sharknad0

Oct 9, 2016
    hSDN Member
    Don't do it. You can still retake the ACT but that isn't even needed. Go to a US College, learn to study well and how to succeed in college. Then apply to US Med schools.

10. AttemptingScholar

AttemptingScholar

Apr 1, 2016
    Seriously, this is the logic of your parents:

(1) @redence is a poor student, so in order to make sure they are academically successful, the only good path is a poor education at an unaccredited school in a third world country with subpar teachers and subpar materials. Because they classes are so poor, redence will get excellent grades, which logically (????) translates into a high score on the same standardized tests that everyone, including people who have been in school for longer and at accredited, competitive schools, are also taking.

(2) A six year, unaccredited, incredibly specialized professional degree is a bigger waste of money than an accredited four year degree which could turn into many different jobs.

(3) As people who failed to successfully do this twenty years ago (when it was easier), they are obviously the best resource in how to do this. In order to succeed, you should do what caused them to fail.

Remember, med school serves to get you into a residency. It doesn't matter if you get into a med school if you can't turn it into a job (like so many Caribbean graduates).

And why your parents, who consider you a poor student, apparently think that the education you are receiving has nothing to do with standardized test scores is absolutely beyond me.

11. eternelle

eternelle 2+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I think you should look into getting a BSN here with the goal of becoming a psych nurse practitioner. This way if you do really well in undergrad you could apply to med schools (but you may have to defend why you want to switch from nursing to medicine). Regardless, you'd at least have a back up career in health care and some job security which isn't the case if you go to a Caribbean school.