6 year MD/Internal Medicine residency programs?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jargon124, Oct 28, 2001.

1. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

Anyone know which schools offer these? I am interested - great way to cut a year off!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member

I don't know if you are in medical school or not, but I think you should beware of something like that. I'm just a first year, so you'd probably have to get confirmation from someone wiser, but...

You need all the time you can get to learn this stuff. There isn't a rush and it isn't a race. Cutting 33% out of your residency could leave you behind. And perhaps you would like to do cardiology or gastroenterology fellowships afterwards ... Programs might be wary of you, because you just wouldn't have the experience that 99.99% of the other applicants will have.

Just make sure you talk to the right people before you do this ... It isn't like shaving off undergrad years (which I think don't matter a lick). I personally wish that we could spread this four year curriculum over five or at least 4.5, just so I don't feel overwhelmed always.

Simul
    Tulane Med '05

4. phd2b

phd2b Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    University of Kentucky has this program.

5. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

I don't think you're cutting residency short in these 6 year programs. I believe you're finishing medical school in 3 years and then starting a 3 year Internal Medicine residency.

6. yasostegirl3437

Check out NYMC.

7. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member

Well, if that's true, I stand corrected ... I guess all the fourth years are telling me that after they do their sub-I they just goof around anyway.

Simul
    Tulane Med '05