6-Year Medical Schools in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballaballa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a grade 11 student from Alberta, Canada who is very seriously considering pursuing a career in the field of medicine in the future. I have consistently maintained a 90%+ average for the past 3 years and I have many extracurriculars.

In order to pursue this career, I want to attempt to get into a 6-year medical school (right after grade 12) in the UK, so I can bypass the hassles of medical school in Canada and US (MCAT, waiting for 2+ years to know if I will get accepted, not getting accepted = waste of much time pursuing a BSc.). My end goal is to practice in either the UK or the USA.

A 6-year medical school is my first choice, but if I do not get accepted into a 6-year program, I will most definately try to pursue the BSc. + Med. School in Canada/US route, with equal persistence.

For this, I come to you student doctors. Since many of you are already pursuing medical careers abroad, I am sure you know of more 6-year programs I do. Please enlighten me about them!!! At this point I really only know of the 4 Irish Colleges: Univ. Dublin, RCSI, Trinity, and Cork.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If any members know of any other 6-year medical programs in Canada, USA, or Australia, please feel free to mention. Again, thanks very much!!

P.P.S. Sorry for the long read! :)

Members don't see this ad.

ballaballa said:
Hi all,

I'm a grade 11 student from Alberta, Canada who is very seriously considering pursuing a career in the field of medicine in the future. I have consistently maintained a 90%+ average for the past 3 years and I have many extracurriculars.

In order to pursue this career, I want to attempt to get into a 6-year medical school (right after grade 12) in the UK, so I can bypass the hassles of medical school in Canada and US (MCAT, waiting for 2+ years to know if I will get accepted, not getting accepted = waste of much time pursuing a BSc.). My end goal is to practice in either the UK or the USA.

A 6-year medical school is my first choice, but if I do not get accepted into a 6-year program, I will most definately try to pursue the BSc. + Med. School in Canada/US route, with equal persistence.

For this, I come to you student doctors. Since many of you are already pursuing medical careers abroad, I am sure you know of more 6-year programs I do. Please enlighten me about them!!! At this point I really only know of the 4 Irish Colleges: Univ. Dublin, RCSI, Trinity, and Cork.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If any members know of any other 6-year medical programs in Canada, USA, or Australia, please feel free to mention. Again, thanks very much!!

P.P.S. Sorry for the long read! :)

There are some good 6 year Irish schools over here look into them.