6-year OMFS programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cynergy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question about 6-year OMFS programs.

Which programs are stringent with undergraduate GPA for admissions purposes?

Compiling my app for next year, and would like to not waste money and hope on those programs that would auto-reject me based on my uGPA alone.

Thanks a bunch. Specific program names would be most helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is a 3.65 undergrad gpa really low enough to prohibit you from getting in anywhere, given your lofty achievements in dental school?

This must be a motherf*#king game to you...with those numbers you are guarenteed interviews everywhere you apply

Show up to interviews...act like a normal human being...make jokes, laugh at jokes, talk about hot chicks and getting drunk every once in a while...don't talk about how much you already know about omfs...don't tell them how many teeth you've pulled or how sweet you sutured on your last externship...don't act arrogant, you're numbers speak for themselves

You're set man, enjoy any program you want...and if youre lucky you may get into shreveport

A fairly reliable source told me that my uGPA may preclude me from even getting interviews at Mayo, Vanderbilt, and UCSF. UCSF was one of my top choices until now...

And Sub, I couldn't even say those things if I wanted to because, to be honest, I made the mistake of mostly externing at programs that are not very well regarded (even on SDN) for a true OMFS residency experience. Pretty sure PDs know which programs are a joke for externships...

I'm ranked #1 at a "prestigious" dental school with 95+ on CBSE, but I didn't do so hot in undergrad (3.65 uGPA).
Disclaimer: This is not an attempt at humble brag, I just thought a little context would help. I know SDN is a bit sensitive to stat-whoring...

Compiling my app for next year, and would like to not waste money and hope on those programs that would auto-reject me based on my uGPA alone.

Dude you have to be kidding me. You are number 1 in your dental school class and your undergrad GPA is on par with (if not above) the MD national average. Seriously.
You are either hyper-vigilant and naive, or you are the world's biggest troll. 2 posts?

Why is ucsf one of your top choices?

Hmmmm, number 1 in your class and essentially the highest CBSE score in the nation (highest even since it has been used by AAOMS) and you are worried about your undergrad GPA...

Seems legit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Why is ucsf one of your top choices?

Was wondering that too. The 4 full years of med school that you have to do is definitely a turn off for me. This is definitely geared towards the academic type, and you'll probably want to do a fellowship afterwards.

3.65 is a decent GPA. That, along with your dental school achievements and a ridiculous CBSE should get you interviews everywhere you apply. Just keep on the DL and don't DUI or molest anyone from now until then.

Yeah I was expecting the backlash. I really have nothing to prove on an anonymous forum, but the current residents should know who I am by numbers when next cycle rolls around. I'm not gonna lie though, I have been pretty paranoid and anal about grades and whatnot, but admittedly for good reason...

And UCSF was one of my top choices because (1) I truly want a comprehensive medical school experience, (2) an immediate family member is a faculty, and (3) I am planning to pursue MORS fellowship after residency.

So back to the original question at hand, any other programs I should avoid applying to?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah I was expecting the backlash. I really have nothing to prove on an anonymous forum, but the current residents should know who I am by numbers when next cycle rolls around. I'm not gonna lie though, I have been pretty paranoid and anal about grades and whatnot, but admittedly for good reason...

And UCSF was one of my top choices because (1) I truly want a comprehensive medical school experience, (2) an immediate family member is a faculty, and (3) I am planning to pursue MORS fellowship after residency.

So back to the original question at hand, any other programs I should avoid applying to?

Thanks.

:eyebrow: If you have an immediate family member as faculty, why would you post this question here and not just ask them about UCSF's requirements? Also, if you expected the backlash, why post your CBSE and rank when they don't add anything pertinent to your core question? If you want to ask about which schools are stringent with undergrad GPA requirements, just ask that. Also, since there is no lack of troll posts on an anonymous internet forum, most will write you off as a troll and not bother to give an honest answer.

Reactions: 1 user
:eyebrow: If you have an immediate family member as faculty, why would you post this question here and not just ask them about UCSF's requirements? Also, if you expected the backlash, why post your CBSE and rank when they don't add anything pertinent to your core question? If you want to ask about which schools are stringent with undergrad GPA requirements, just ask that. Also, since there is no lack of troll posts on an anonymous internet forum, most will write you off as a troll and not bother to give an honest answer.

Redacted. You happy now?

God, I was asking a completely innocent question that can be useful not just for me but for many future generations of OMFS applicants, but clearly the jealousy on this forum is absolutely palpable.

Last edited:
Redacted. You happy now?

God, I was asking a completely innocent question that can be useful not just for me but for many future generations of OMFS applicants, but clearly the jealousy on this forum is absolutely palpable.

I don't know how many future generations will be smart enough to be #1 in their dental class and get essentially the highest CBSE score to date, and yet find your question useful. I would assume someone of such intellectual talent would understand their position relative to other OMFS applicants with a little more clarity. I would really try and not take these responses personally. Understand that if you are telling the truth (which could very well be the case), it would be wise to avoid any possible interpretation of show-boating. Honestly, all the best. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know how many future generations will be smart enough to be #1 in their dental class and get essentially the highest CBSE score to date, and yet find your question useful. I would assume someone of such intellectual talent would understand their position relative to other OMFS applicants with a little more clarity. I would really try and not take these responses personally. Understand that if you are telling the truth (which could very well be the case), it would be wise to avoid any possible interpretation of show-boating. Honestly, all the best. :)

QFT.

Hey, look, it's an OR troll! Probably getting ready for a marathon oral cancer resection. I hear that only students ranked #1 get to learn that procedure...

470888713_o.jpg

Considering that I heard from a specific program director that my uGPA was indeed lower than their intern pool, I feel that I have a legitimate reason to be wary, no?

I don't understand why people on SDN always err on the side of troll. This was the reason why I made a very recent account in the first place. OMFS applicant should be aiming for top of their class anyway, shouldn't they? Am I doing something wrong for studying my ass off for classes and the CBSE?

And no, my CBSE is not the highest score to date, because one of my fellow classmates scored higher just this past August.

Honestly, how else am I supposed to interpret your wise-ass remarks before, and linking to a trololol video?

Considering that I heard from a specific program director that my uGPA was indeed lower than their intern pool, I feel that I have a legitimate reason to be wary, no? No. Having a GPA lower than an intern pool is not grounds for being wary since being lower than an intern pool is not grounds for rejection. That said, if you are applying to a residency that will reject your application because your undergrad GPA was "low", then I would not want to go to this program. Any reasonable admissions committee would likely want to interview you and make a judgement call. However, their decision post interview is a totally different matter.

I don't understand why people on SDN always err on the side of troll. This was the reason why I made a very recent account in the first place. OMFS applicant should be aiming for top of their class anyway, shouldn't they? Am I doing something wrong for studying my ass off for classes and the CBSE? The reason they err on the side of troll is that, in scenarios similar to this, there are far more trolls than there are legitimate posts. If you made a new account just to post this, then you shot yourself in the foot. An established account is much less likely to be a troll account. I am not saying you are a troll, but what I am saying that given the history on this forum and the fact that you just made an account (unfortunately) stacks the odds against you. Also studying your ass off is great - shows motivation.

And no, my CBSE is not the highest score to date, because one of my fellow classmates scored higher just this past August. I am very familiar with the past performances on the CBSE. True, someone scored a 99, but at that point gains are marginal since a 95+ and a 99 are many, many standard deviations from the average. This is especially true when looking at past exams which had maximums of 92-95. Your score is still among the highest.

Honestly, how else am I supposed to interpret your wise-ass remarks before, and linking to a trololol video? By understanding that we are not attacking you personally. We are critical of the scenario that you are presenting to us - new member, extreme stats, worried about something that is seemingly benign - it all stacks up in favor of a false post. This is not about you, but about the position we are in reading your post. Once again, all the best. :)

Responses are posted in bold above.

Programs like Mayo don't see any dental school grades/accomplishments or CBSE scores, period. They base solely on undergraduate performance and the medical school has a very heavy influence on interviewee selection.

This is the only school I know of that does this, but I'm afraid there are more. So @Bereno you might want to do some more research yourself. 6-year programs operate quite differently from 4-year programs (from your past posts, you seem to be interested in the latter) and medical schools can and will reject based solely on uGPA. Has absolutely zero bearing on the quality of the program itself, it's just how they work.

Programs like Mayo don't see any dental school grades/accomplishments or CBSE scores, period. They base solely on undergraduate performance and the medical school has a very heavy influence on interviewee selection.

Any other programs that don't look at your dental school records or CBSE? My undergrad GPA is 3.90 and I think I just got a hard on for Mayo.

But.. on the Mayo website.. Externs are required to have..

Requirements:
• Junior/Senior in dental school
• Class rank in the top 15 percent
• Availability of 2 – 4 weeks (1 week may be considered)
• Completion of application through Mayo Clinic Graduate Medical Education
(www.mayo.edu/clerkships/)
• Enrolled in a dental school at the time of the externship
• Official copy of dental school transcripts
• We will require a dean’s letter confirming academic good standing
• We will require a letter from an Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon confirming clinical competency.
• No application fee

Seems like from this criteria that dental school records are sorta important?

This is the only school I know of that does this, but I'm afraid there are more. So @Bereno you might want to do some more research yourself. 6-year programs operate quite differently from 4-year programs (from your past posts, you seem to be interested in the latter) and medical schools can and will reject based solely on uGPA. Has absolutely zero bearing on the quality of the program itself, it's just how they work.

Honestly, you cannot be serious that OMFS programs do not look at dental school performance... If anything they look at the CBSE even more strictly to correlate your performance on the step I.

Do some more research? Why do I need to do more research? I am familiar with the Mayo program as well as some other 6-year programs and I understand that 6 year programs operate much differently than 4 year programs, but I fail to see how this applies to your original question. While it is true that medical schools can and will reject based solely on uGPA, it is a fallacy to believe that they will therefore reject you since your GPA is lower than some interns...

Here is my take home point: If you are truly concerned about your uGPA being below a cutoff, call the school in question and ask. If you are below, ask them to consider your whole application. Otherwise it is very safe to assume that you will be an exceptional applicant to any program, so don't worry about it. :)

Last edited:
My bad I totally misspoke. I meant to say that Mayo Medical School does not look at anything other than undergrad performance. The OMFS department does, however, and will take everything into account including of course the CBSE. But again, MMS has a huge input into deciding interviewees. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, I feel like I'm causing unnecessary commotion for something that should have been a harmless question so I'll put this to rest.

While on the topic of 6 year programs and uGPA, are there any that will consider applicants with a significantly lower (3.0-3.3) undergrad GPA? Or will they be auto rejected regardless of dental school performance?

While on the topic of 6 year programs and uGPA, are there any that will consider applicants with a significantly lower (3.0-3.3) undergrad GPA? Or will they be auto rejected regardless of dental school performance?

Yes.

Don't be fooled by the ivory tower, obsessed, neurotic students. Question what everyone tells you and perform your own research. 6-year programs do care more about your undergrad grades because that is an important metric for who is most likely to pass the USMLE. I know 6-year students who were asked to leave their program because they couldn't pass Step 1.

That said, don't think that you need a 3.9. You don't. You can't change your undergrad grades, so focus on your D-school grades and......

....apply broadly and early.

good luck.

My bad I totally misspoke. I meant to say that Mayo Medical School does not look at anything other than undergrad performance. The OMFS department does, however, and will take everything into account including of course the CBSE. But again, MMS has a huge input into deciding interviewees. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway, I feel like I'm causing unnecessary commotion for something that should have been a harmless question so I'll put this to rest.

The world will probably come to a screeching halt if you don't match into Mayo. I heard recently that the AAOMS is eliminating all existing OMFS programs nationwide except for Mayo and Harvard. To add insult to injury, those two remaining programs will each be reducing their incoming class size to one trainee each. For the foreseeable future, only two people each year nationally will become oral surgeons.

If you are not among the privileged two, where should I send the lilies?

all the best and good luck.

Yes.

Don't be fooled by the ivory tower, obsessed, neurotic students. Question what everyone tells you and perform your own research. 6-year programs do care more about your undergrad grades because that is an important metric for who is most likely to pass the USMLE. I know 6-year students who were asked to leave their program because they couldn't pass Step 1.

That said, don't think that you need a 3.9. You don't. You can't change your undergrad grades, so focus on your D-school grades and......

....apply broadly and early.

good luck.
Good post.

The NBME CBSE should also further ameliorate concerns about a low undergraduate GPA if an applicant gets a passing score.

This was a spectacular troll. You should get into the ****ty Mayo program just for this achievement.

This was a spectacular troll. You should get into the ****ty Mayo program just for this achievement.

I've removed my stats from my original post. At this point, I'm just asking a question that anybody interested in a 6-year OMFS program could be asking. I can't do anything about the quoted posts unless the actual posters remove it themselves. I am genuinely curious about my original question, so please let's just keep it on that topic.

And please don't badmouth the Mayo program. It's absolutely top notch.

Oh man. this is some funny sh-t
I'm out of residency, so you will see no evidence of jealousy here. i DO NOT envy you... thats alot of schooling. Residency was hell.
you smell like a troll brother. if you don't want these sort of responses, don't bother posting this crap. You know you have good scores and a number of programs (probably including UCSF) will find your stats well above average.
Try some meds for your OCD. that will help.

Reactions: 2 users
that's insane. a freakin' 95 is correlated to over 260 on step 1. i know the cbse is a little more than half the length of the step 1 but a 95 (260) would get you 2.5 sd from the mean and on par with what it takes to get into plastics. i venture onto the step 1 forums often and a 260 is almost unheard of...dam good job

i thought the main concern from medical schools evaluating omfs applicants was whether or not they could pass and score high on step 1. isn't that why mt sinai med school stopped its affiliation with its omfs program? prior to the cbse, i guess ugpa would have been the best predictor. now ugpa seems irrelevant in comparison to our cbse scores.

Last edited:
a 95 cbse is rare but not insane, we've had a couple residents break 260 on Step 1 at baylor, and we dont go to a crazy stringent med school, and we moonlight like fiends during it.

Last edited:
I've removed my stats from my original post. At this point, I'm just asking a question that anybody interested in a 6-year OMFS program could be asking. I can't do anything about the quoted posts unless the actual posters remove it themselves. I am genuinely curious about my original question, so please let's just keep it on that topic.

And please don't badmouth the Mayo program. It's absolutely top notch.

From what you've posted it sounds as though you: A. Have already made your mind up about a program, and B. Already think you know the answer to the question you asked. I'm not sure what you want to hear.

FWIW, I had terrible undergrad grades and didn't have any issues with getting interviews. You'll be fine.

Last edited: