6 Year OMFS Undergrad GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treedent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously every program is different, but in general what is the cutoff GPA to get past med school admissions? My undergrad GPA was a little bit below 3.5, and I'm wondering if it is gonna hinder me from a lot of the 6 year programs. I know I cant change it now, but was just curious to see if I should set my sights on 4 year programs, or still go for the 6 year ones. Does anyone have any personal stories (or know of classmates) with this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

In particular, I'm wondering about BU, Parkland, University of Washington, and UAB. Any info on these programs would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t know what specific cutoffs are, but I do know that often the med school kind of disregards your dental school GPA and will focus on undergrad GPA to put you on the same playing field as the med students. That being said my overall UG GPA was right around what yours is. I applied to two of the programs you mentioned above, interviewed at both, and was accepted to one of them. That being said I don’t think your UG GPA will automatically disqualify you from those programs med schools

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t know what specific cutoffs are, but I do know that often the med school kind of disregards your dental school GPA and will focus on undergrad GPA to put you on the same playing field as the med students. That being said my overall UG GPA was right around what yours is. I applied to two of the programs you mentioned above, interviewed at both, and was accepted to one of them. That being said I don’t think your UG GPA will automatically disqualify you from those programs med schools

Thank you for that info. Would you mind if I sent you a message?

6 year BU resident here. Feel free to dm with questions!

For current 6-year residents: Do you think a 220 (77-78) is a competitive score for most 6-year programs?

do people match into 6 year programs with CBSE in the 60s