6 yr OMS and undergrad GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shamrock2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I feel like a complete idiot for not realizing this...but I was informed today that the 6 yr programs will also look at your undergrad GPA for admission into the corresponding med school. I'm doubting my stats are good enough to get into a 4 yr program considering my class rank...but my undergrad GPA wasn't stellar either. Yes, good enough to get me into d-school, but not inflated like some med school GPA's. It was something like a 3.47 or whatever. I was under the impression that your part I scores were the consideration...w/ a correlation b/t those and how you would perform on the med boards. Is the undergrad GPA really a prime time player?

Members don't see this ad.

For some programs it is a deal breaker, but a 3.47 in cell bio, or neuroscience from a tier 1 university is different than a history degree from a no named school. Some programs' final say comes from the med school, end of discussion. 90+ on NBDE Part I and a good class rank should make up for a few tenths in UG GPA. I think a 3.5 is set for some med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
out of curiosity, for 6-yr os residency programs, would getting a high mcat score compensate for low undergrad/dental/nbde grades?

out of curiosity, for 6-yr os residency programs, would getting a high mcat score compensate for low undergrad/dental/nbde grades?

You don't take the MCAT for the 6 year programs....so no it would not help.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but I think you must be a current Med student in order to take the MCat. You can't take the mcat until you're accepted into 6 yr os then take it after 2nd yr of med school while IN the OS program not before.

the only exception is case western, you take the mcat right after getting accpetd into os. Even then you need to be acceptd into the OS program first.

the only exception is case western, you take the mcat right after getting accpetd into os. Even then you need to be acceptd into the OS program first.

You don't take the MCAT for Case OMFS as far as I can tell. You have to take and pass the USMLE Step 1 prior to starting on 7/1 which is unique, but there was no mention of the MCAT anywhere in the ample documentation they gave out at the interview.

I may be wrong but I think you must be a current Med student in order to take the MCat. You can't take the mcat until you're accepted into 6 yr os then take it after 2nd yr of med school while IN the OS program not before.

Like armor alluded too, you have the mcat and usmle step 1 confused.

For some programs it is a deal breaker, but a 3.47 in cell bio, or neuroscience from a tier 1 university is different than a history degree from a no named school. Some programs' final say comes from the med school, end of discussion. 90+ on NBDE Part I and a good class rank should make up for a few tenths in UG GPA. I think a 3.5 is set for some med schools.

how about a 3.0 sci 3.3 overall from a tier 1 school? serious question because thats where i stand...had a 3.3 sci and 3.6 overall when applying to dental school...got into school dec 1st (2 weeks before finals)...ended up with 2 semesters of C's...but anyway...working hard in dental school and i reallllllly don't want mistakes made when i was a drunk college senior haunting me after being drilled-in-the-ass for 4 years.

how about a 3.0 sci 3.3 overall from a tier 1 school? serious question because thats where i stand...had a 3.3 sci and 3.6 overall when applying to dental school...got into school dec 1st (2 weeks before finals)...ended up with 2 semesters of C's...but anyway...working hard in dental school and i reallllllly don't want mistakes made when i was a drunk college senior haunting me after being drilled-in-the-ass for 4 years.

Prob gonna be tough. My experience so far in med school is that, they don't care if you have a DDS/DMD, you are still just a med student. They kinda look at us a notch below their MD/PHD students in my mind.

Prob gonna be tough. My experience so far in med school is that, they don't care if you have a DDS/DMD, you are still just a med student. They kinda look at us a notch below their MD/PHD students in my mind.

When I was still going through med school as an OMFS resident, some of the classmates thought I was a dental student.

When I was still going through med school as an OMFS resident, some of the classmates thought I was a dental student.

They kept call us the "dental" students.

They kept calling us the "dental" students.

Wait, so what if you took the MCAT, then decided on going to d-school instead but still had a competitive MCAT score to begin with. Would you still have to retake it? More of a curiosity than what I'm actually planning.