611 Comlex, no USMLE - ACGME Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScarletKnights

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I scored a 611 on my comlex but did not end up taking the USMLE. I know a lot of people are gonna say I should have taken the USMLE, but that's not what I'm looking for. I just want to know if anyone here has experience applying and matching with just a comlex. I know I put myself at a disadvantage, but I would just like a little insight from someone who has been in my position. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

As we like to say in South Philly - FUGGEDAHBOUTIT!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do not see that working. Most program directors want a standardized metric that they can use to compare their applicants. They're going to have a USMLE score for all the MD (and most of the DO) applicants. If this piece of information is missing, they're not going to spend the time trying to convert apples to oranges, they're going to move on to the next candidate.

So I scored a 611 on my comlex but did not end up taking the USMLE. I know a lot of people are gonna say I should have taken the USMLE, but that's not what I'm looking for. I just want to know if anyone here has experience applying and matching with just a comlex. I know I put myself at a disadvantage, but I would just like a little insight from someone who has been in my position. Thank you!

I have a buddy who got in to an ACGME east coast university program 10 years ago with just the comlex. I'm not sure if Gas is more or less competitive than it was 10 years ago? I'm would think that it would be LESS competitive now.......back in 2004 there seemed to be an anesthesia gold rush.... job market was outstanding, groups were paying for interview expenses, sign on bonuses were rampant, jobs available in super desirable markets, 500K starting was not unusual, partnership tracks were the norm, AMC's were in their infancy......the fields done a 180 in the past 10 years....so I'd assume its easier now so best of luck!

Last edited:
I've spoken to several PDs and worked for one of the big residency programs before I started med school. You can get a good residency spot with just COMLEX. Yes, it would be much easier if you'd taken USMLE, but it is not impossible.

611 comlex is about a 240 Step score. If your grades are good and the rest of your application looks strong I fully expect you will match at a decent program.
That said, some PD at top 10-20 programs may not consider COMLEX if everyone else has a step score for them to compare applicants. So, if you apply to many programs you can expect interviews and ultimately a match in Anesthesiology.

Last edited:
Take step 2 at the least. Doing well will help you with not having 1

611 comlex is about a 240 Step score. If your grades are good and the rest of your application looks strong I fully expect you will match at a decent program.

The big problem with this is that historically program directors don't have a valid means to compare COMLEX to USMLE. Apples to oranges.

No. I work to pay my living expenses, thus cutting that amount down to around $180k. For peace of mind and self-satisfaction, it's worth it.