I am reading a book about getting into residency. It listed that 63% of all US physicians are board certified, and 56% of primary care physicians have their boards. What exactly does it mean to be board certified? If only 63% are certified, are the remaining 37% non-practicing physicians? Or is being Board-certified an extra level of certification that is not required for practicing of medicine?