Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

$64,000 Question...

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by chandler742, Aug 9, 2002.

1. chandler742

chandler742 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2002
    3rd Planet from the Sun
    Just out of curiosity. How many of you guys would pay $64,000 to score a 40 on a future MCAT (let's assume that if you paid the money you would get a 40)?

If you don't have the money, let's assume you can borrow it from a bank at a compound rate of 4% per year over 20 years, and you don't have to start paying until you are a physician (or sooner if you choose).

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Femtochemistry

Femtochemistry Skunk Works 10+ Year Member

May 13, 2002
  4. Mudd

Mudd Charlatan & Trouble Maker 7+ Year Member

Jun 5, 2002
    relocated again
    That is a GREAT question!

Years ago I asked someone if they could start college all over, and not have their previous record open for evaluation, would they do it? Would they repeat four years of college to have a higher GPA and thus a better chance of getting into medical school.

Mind if I tack that question onto yours?

5. DW

DW Fix me some sandwiches Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

dude, dont post this silly hypothetical stuff now, shouldn't you guys be spending your precious last week studying or something?:confused:

6. chandler742

chandler742 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2002
    3rd Planet from the Sun
    let's not assume everyone on here is taking the MCAT next week...Some of us are not...

Not everyone on the MCAT chatboard is taking the exam next week...

7. tBw

tBw totally deluded 7+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2001
    infront of an iMac
    well, I am taking MCAT next week - but I'm still reading and posting on SDN - we all have our own 'de-stress' methods - and it's as vital a part of MCAT prep as any....

in any case - back to the mental masturbation we were originally asked...no, i wouldn't - i believe I can score well enough to get into medical school. The only reason I would want a 40 would be if it got me a scholarship of any description (and thats unlikely even with a 40 MCAT) - but if I had to pay $64,000 to get it, that'de pretty much nulify the scholarship so it's be pretty pointless.

Ask me again in two months when I have my results....I may change my mind!

8. Mike59

Mike59 Sweatshop FP in Ontario 7+ Year Member

Nov 19, 2001
    The inner-net
    I would much rather study my ass off, come out with a 30 or higher and not have to worry about being 64000 in debt to whoever. :D The MCAT score is only a piece of the pie. Several people with 40+ scores get rejected every year, so in my opinion, I'd save the money and buy a couple of years tuition.

9. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat 7+ Year Member

Jan 30, 2002
    California
    If you can get a 30+, which most people should be able to do, why would you buy a 40?

10. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 8, 2002
  11. UCLA Paratrooper

UCLA Paratrooper Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Becuase of my low GPA...I'd do it.

UCLA Paratrooper

12. Street Philosopher

Street Philosopher freebird 10+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2000