$64,000 question....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneStrongBro

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is University of Colorado worth that much per year as as an out of state student?

According to people, I guess so.

Members don't see this ad.

it only costs that much the first year, after which you are able to establish residency. thus it ends up costing about the same as any other out-of-state tuition once you average the four years together.

Yeah but its not that easy to establish residency... you cant just become a resident for going to school in a state for a year.

Most states have special restrictions that state you cant be considered a resident unless you buy property, work without going to school for a year, petition a judge, etc.

So while its possible to get the in-state resident tuition after a year, there are complicating factors and you dont just get de-facto resident status simply for going to school there for a year. You will probably have to jump thru some hoops.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by OneStrongBro
Is University of Colorado worth that much per year as as an out of state student?

According to people, I guess so.

This can only be determined by the people who actually have to make the choice. CU is a great school, highly ranked in both research and primary care (I don't know the exact rankings this year). I grew up and went to college in Colorado and am doing everything possible to remain a resident for tuition purposes while working out of state. I am applying MSTP so the residency/cost will hopefully not be an issue for me, but if it is I can honestly say I would have a hard time justifying $64,000 if even for one year. Not to mention, it is rather difficult to be accepted out-of-state. I agree with something mentioned in another thread that the exorbitant fee serves as a deterrent to those individuals who will not remain in Colorado to practice.

If you have the cash and the stats to get in out-of-state, Colorado truly is a phenomenal place to live and the school is IMHO worth it.

What the &#%$ is their justification for charging that much? That figure definitely kept me from applying, although it would be awesome to go there. Since I'll be paying for everything through loans, $64,000 would require me to take additional private loans, which would accrue interest over the next three years, and so on...not worth it.

If you have the cash, do it up!

I know several out-of-staters who decided to bite the bullet and go to UCHSC--the big kicker is that you'd really want to live in Denver, which these people all did. If you're outdoors oriented, Denver is the best city in the country, in my opinion. It also has the best weather in the country, and so it is an ideal place to live for people with a certain temperment and personality.

MacGyver, you're right but at the interview day the admissions folks seem to imply that pretty much everybody who gets in out of state WILL be able to get in-state after the first year, but since I'm an in-stater I don't know what kind of hoops they have to jump through.

I'm a pretty staunch advocate of Colorado, but interestingly I'll probably be leaving for school . . .

So, I would say that the only reason to come of UCHSC as an out-of-stater is the location, not anything spectacular that the school itself provides, although it is a pretty strong one--TONS of research goes on here, as much (if not more) as at a lot of the bigger name schools, and it's really highly ranked for primary care.

Just my thoughts.

In my situation, I would probably go to a state school and apply for residency in Denver.

The argument that one would love to live in Denver is a good argument. However, if one looks at residency matches, the states are widely dispersed regardless of where you attended medical school.

Lastly, playing devil's advocate. What if you don't receive a match in Denver, then what? It is very competitive. Furthermore, I have heard that affilated hospitals would prefer "outside" residents from other medical schools.

those are good points OneStrongBro, the thing about Colorado is that there are multiple areas to do a residency, not just in Denver. I think the med school likes individuals who will practice in Colorado, not necessarily in Denver. Denver as a city is not medically underserved, however there are areas in the state that are. It is probably likely that someone from an outside medical school would do a residency in Colorado, preferably in Denver. However, physicians who actually went to school in Denver may be more likely to spread out into the state for residencies as they have already trained in Denver and may like a change of pace, or they have been exposed to areas that are medically underserved and wish to practice there; clinical rotations are offered at various hospitals and clinics around the state.

Again I am just speculating, I have no hard facts on the residency trends in Colorado...they would be interesting to know. I think attending medical school outside of Colorado and applying for a residency in Denver is a great way to go. During medical school you won't really have a chance to enjoy all that Colorado has to offer, anyway. Well, you won't during residency either...