65 hours during residency??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predodoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a little confused. I was looking on FREIDA for hours of IM programs and most say 65 hr/wk, 30 hours on for longest shift(call) and q4 call and 1 or 2 24hr days off. ok so heres the math

Monday- 6am to 5pm=11hr
Monday night call-5pm-9am=16hrs
tues- postcall 24 hours off(or close to 24)
wed- 6am-5pm= 11hr
thurs-6am-5pm=11hr
friday-6am- 5pm=11hr
fridaynight call- 5pm- 9am-16 hrs
sat- post call
sunday- 6am-9am= 11hr

now that adds up to= 87 hours???
I know that having call every 4th night means you will have 2 calls one week and 1 the next but that still Avgs out to about 75+.
Do post call days not count as days off? or am I just missing how you get 65 hour/wk out of that. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Post call days do not count as days off if you have overnight call and are leaving the hospital between 9 and 12 the next morning. However, what can happen is that if your program doesn't have overnight call, so that you leave your call day by 11PM or so, some programs will then have it that your post call day is your day off if it's on the weekend (In that scenario, it will be the interns who get the day off while the resident has to come in and round on all the patients). Those days suck, because the resident gets a black weekend, and the interns loose out on their evening going into their day off.

so I guess It works more like:

monday with call- 30 hours
tues-post call
wed-6am-5pm- 11hrs
thurs-off
friday with call- 30hrs
sat- post call
sunday off
total 71 hrs

monday work-11
tues-work- 11
wed-call-31
thurs post call
friday off
satwork- 11
sundayoff

=63 hrs

71+63/2= 66.5/wk----close enough

Does this schedule look pretty typical?

but thats 2 full days off a wk, not 1.3 like the program I was most interested in. But I guess their work days might not be 11 hours or their call not 30 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I don't think I would trust FREIDA that much; I have been told by multiple sources (mostly during interview days at various schools) that FREIDA is not updated very often by the individual programs.

Filling out FREIDA questions is a painful experience. On ward months, my residents average workhours in the 70's. On electives, it's in the 40's. I average the blocks over the year to get an average hours/week worked, which is what I put in FREIDA. That's probably why the averages are often in the 50-60 range, depending on how many call vs non-call blocks there are.

Im a little confused. I was looking on FREIDA for hours of IM programs and most say 65 hr/wk, 30 hours on for longest shift(call) and q4 call and 1 or 2 24hr days off. ok so heres the math

Monday- 6am to 5pm=11hr
Monday night call-5pm-9am=16hrs
tues- postcall 24 hours off(or close to 24)
wed- 6am-5pm= 11hr
thurs-6am-5pm=11hr
friday-6am- 5pm=11hr
fridaynight call- 5pm- 9am-16 hrs
sat- post call
sunday- 6am-9am= 11hr

now that adds up to= 87 hours???
I know that having call every 4th night means you will have 2 calls one week and 1 the next but that still Avgs out to about 75+.
Do post call days not count as days off? or am I just missing how you get 65 hour/wk out of that. :confused:

8 months of 75hrs/wk, 1 month of 60 hours (night float) and 3 months of 40 hours (elective)

averages to 65 hrs/wk

don't believe FREIDA. I think there are very few good programs where you are going to be working 65 a week especially as an intern. There are plenty of good reasons to do IM residency, sweet hours is not one of them. my opinion is expect around 80 and then be pleasantly surprised if it is less.

Work hours are really variable throughout the year... My ICU rotations frequently push up to or go over the 80hr limit, while certain electives may struggle to even reach 40hrs. A typical ward month will be in the 70-80 hr/wk range with an average of 1 day off per week (i.e. an average of 4/month - so I might work 14 days in a row to give myself a golden weekend).

If you are concerned about total hours, look at how many call months a given program requires, as there is some variability between programs there. Also look at it over the course of the residency. My program prides itself on a lot of elective time in the 1st year. The fine print is that we have an above average amount of call third year.