Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr hawkings

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I want to ask a couple of teachers at my medical school to see if this is possible. However, I am planning to only do research when I have time available, so I have to tell them that I may be gone for long periods of time...how would I address that in a letter?
If they know you are a med student, they will understand. They are probably used to that. In the same token, you will have to understand that you will probably end up being assigned to some non-essential duties. I wouldnt put it in the letter/email.

You should speak to them personally about this after you know that they may possibly have a spot in the lab for you. Then they can decide if they still want you.
If you start out talking about how little time you are going to have, they are less inclined to make the effort to take you on. its just too much of a hassle for them.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status
Medical Student
To answer that question, you've got to ask yourself... why do some residency programs want to see applicants with research experience?

Here's a hint: applying to residency is not the same as applying to medical school. You're not just trying to load your CV up with a bunch of bull**** so that it will be 10 pages long. These programs are looking for qualities in prospective residents that will be USEFUL to them.

So what do you think that is?

It probably depends on the program, although I would guess that most of them would rather see clinical research. On the other hand, it may not matter that much. They want to see, first and foremost, that you have skills they can use, and an interest in using them. So what they're looking for:

Have you done research?

How much experience do you have with it?

Is it something you'd be interested in doing as a resident?

Do you like it?

What has your role in the research been?

Do you understand the inner-workings of various aspects of research, from enrolling patients to using SPSS to IRB proposals to whatever else might be applicable to a given research project?

So put yourself in the shoes of a program director. What would you want to see from your applicants if you had a few projects going, and you're looking for help with them?

Zoom-Zoom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
California
Status
Medical Student
I want to ask a couple of teachers at my medical school to see if this is possible. However, I am planning to only do research when I have time available, so I have to tell them that I may be gone for long periods of time...how would I address that in a letter?
They know med students are busy. A couple med students rotated through my lab as an undergrad and my PI was very understanding of them basically never being around. He was always respectful and grateful for their help, albeit minimal. Just be honest so you don't come off like a flake. It will depend on the professor, of course, and I'm sure some expect more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.