6th Annual Conference – A Thoughtful Approach to Pain Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

101N

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oregon Pain Guidance (OPG) Presents:

6th Annual Conference – A Thoughtful Approach to Pain Management

The Diagnosis and Treatment of Centralized Pain Syndrome

Keynote Speaker: Daniel Clauw, MD

May 4, 5, 6, 2017 (Thursday - Saturday)

Ashland Hills Hotel, Ashland, Oregon

• 3 days of in-depth, practical, and leading-edge medical education by world-class pain medicine experts.
  • Become better equipped to meet the challenge of day-to-day interactions with patients who have pain.
  • Learn about current best practices for opioid and non-opioid therapies, psychological issues and communication techniques.
  • Specialty workshops on Thurs., May 4 – Buprenorphine training/certification & how to use conversation as medicine.
  • Interact with national leaders in pain management and enjoy, with your colleagues/family, some of Southern Oregon’s finest attractions (Oregon Shakespeare Festival, outstanding wineries, award-winning dining, abundant natural beauty)!

Who should attend: Physicians, Behavioral Health Providers, Pain Management Providers, Pharmacists, PT, OT, and all interested healthcare professionals.

For More Information:

Visit www.oregonpainguidance.org for conference updates.

Email [email protected] (????) to be notified when registration opens.

The Oregon Pain Guidance is a diverse coalition of healthcare professionals from Jackson and Josephine Counties formed to respond to the crisis of opioid related deaths and disability. Its mission is to improve the quality of life in its communities through the understanding, evaluation, and application of best practices for the treatment of pain to.

Members don't see this ad.

More on the conference...

Attachments

• OPGMeeting.png
    OPGMeeting.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 80
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't see, or maybe didn't look hard enough, how much is the course? I like the looks of it. It's also close.

I think it's going to be $250.00 but I'm not sure.

omg. can they find a more remote site (i mean besides like Iowa or North Dakota...)? the closest major airport is 5 hours drive away...

What level of expertise is it pitched at? I'd like an excuse to visit the area, but I don't really need to attend a conference for PCPs and ARNP's.

The conference is for primary care. But there will a lot of networking amongst the experts there. And there will be a lot of them.
The last couple of years I've got to rub elbows with some really well known pain researchers, it's been priceless.

Attachments

• OPGMeeting.jpg
    OPGMeeting.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 48
What level of expertise is it pitched at? I'd like an excuse to visit the area, but I don't really need to attend a conference for PCPs and ARNP's.

Can't even tel what themeeting is about. Doesn't say much.

Clauw says 70% of women have endometriosis, but only 5% are painful. Curious why you fixate on IPM, if so many other fields follow the same paradigm?

Last edited:
Honesty (Clauw) is powerful stuff.

You might take a lesson from him. He is nowhere near as dogmatic. He acknowledges that peripheral nociceptive pain exists, and that not all pain is central. He distinguishes multifocal from unifocal, localized pain. Women more likely than men. Strong familial and genetic components.

42 % of people with CLBP have FMS. Not all of them.

His argument that opioids are making your pain worse is simplistic. He ignores anything else that might have happened at the periphery over time, and attributes all pain increase to the opioids alone. Despite this, he acknowledges that 20-30% of patients are being prescribed them for appropriate indications.

He clearly misstates the method by which low dose naltrexone works. He suggests it's effective BECAUSE it is a mu receptor antagonist, rather than the rebound phenomenon we know it causes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Clauw says 70% of women have endometriosis, but only 5% are painful. Curious why you fixate on IPM, if so many other fields follow the same paradigm?

Consultant for Pfizer, Eli Lily, Merck, J and J, etc.

Interesting how this guy is the "impartial" source of information on these subjects.

You might take a lesson from him. He is nowhere near as dogmatic. He acknowledges that peripheral nociceptive pain exists, and that not all pain is central. He distinguishes multifocal from unifocal, localized pain. Women more likely than men. Strong familial and genetic components.

His argument that opioids are making your pain worse is simplistic. He ignores anything else that might have happened at the periphery over time, and attributes all pain increase to the opioids alone. Despite this, he acknowledges that 20-30% of patients are being prescribed them for appropriate indications.

He clearly misstates the method by which low dose naltrexone works. He suggests it's effective BECAUSE it is a mu receptor antagonist, rather than the rebound phenomenon we know it causes.

You have to remember, he essentially works for Pfizer, Merck and Eli Lily, so he has to push their most expensive drug options.

Im sure he pushes Lyrica very hardcore and some other RA drugs that have marginal benefit for 1000s/month.

He also knocked basically all surgical procedures including knee replacement that didn't reliably alleviate pain after OA of the knee joint.

Also when it comes to "treatment" of Fibromyalgia, why he pushes garbage like Lyrica which is magically is produced by PFIZER, a company that pays him consultant fees.

http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=8716

What does he give for "fibro"? Magically, he gives Lyrica, Cymbalta, etc that are amazingly made by the companies that give him money.

What "evidence" does he have for Lyrica for fibro? What objective data does he even have for the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia?

If there is any disease state with ZERO objective evidence, it is "fibro". There is no imaging, blood test, etc that can determine this "diagnosis", yet we are more than willing to spend high 100s to 1000s/month on "drugs" to treat this "illness".

Interesting how that works huh?

Last edited: