Oct 15, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I've pretty much settled on my schedule for my 6th semester, with one exception:Calc III. My freshman year was a low point motivationally, with my C+ in Calc I being the nadir. Since then I've had a 4.0 each semester. Now I'm about to start my 6th semester, which I view as my last semester of classes before applying to med schools. Is there any logic to taking Calc III to try and "offset" my iffy Calc I grade? My work ethic has improved leaps and bounds since then, so I have no doubt I'd do well in there, I just wonder if anyone has any insight as to whether or not I'm over thinking this, and if my time would be better used elsewhere. For what it's worth I am interested in the class, however I acknowledge it'd be a bit of a time commitment, and could potentially cut into my time spent shadowing and/or volunteering.

IncognitoGuy

life of leisure
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Unless you need it for your major, don't take it. Your multiple 4.0 semesters speak more to your academic ability and will do the offsetting for you. Good luck!

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you're interested in it, go ahead and take the class. But it's really not worth it to "offset" a grade in a different math class. You've obviously proved that you can do well by getting a 4.0 since then, which I'm assuming included Calc II. At this point, an A in Calc III would probably look no different than an A in any other substantial class.