1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

7,8,9 VS The Real Deal

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by jpostbac, Aug 12, 2006.

1. jpostbac

jpostbac Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey, so for those who've taken the MCATs and prepped with AAMC practice tests 7, 8, 9 - which test was most comparable to the real deal, and did most of you score HIGHER or LOWER on the real thing than on the practice tests?

given that we should prepare for the worst, should we assume that we will score LOWER on the real test than our AAMC practice tests (esp 7, 8, 9), due to the added pressures of Test Day? and if so, how much lower? are we talking, a range of 3-5 points?

what's the general consensus?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Real deal was slightly harder than 7, 8, and 9, esp. the BS. My real score was my AVERAGE (when rounded) score on 7, 8, and 9, and was 2 points (total) lower than my HIGHEST score on 7, 8, and 9.

4. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My actual MCAT had a harder PS, easier VR, and slightly harder BS compared to AAMC 8.

The general consensus is that the AAMC practice exams are slightly easier than the actual MCAT, but the scores turn out about the same.

5. jpostbac

jpostbac Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks - that's what i figured. i've just heard random stories about people scoring highest on the Real Deal than on their practices. how that happens is beyond me.

anyone else have any insight?

also, does anyone else think that - for those of us who just have the basic prereqs down and nothing else - this test is more of a crapshoot than anything else?

after scoring, i always look at what i got wrong and figure out how to improve - and i'd say that maybe 98% of the questions i get wrong deal with stuff i never knew or material i just didn't brush up on (eg, 10% wt/wt question on 7R PS).

it seems like the test was designed to allow only the students with the most knowledge/experience in bio, physics, g chem to score 12+

which, understandably, works to the advantage of people who lived/breathed this material for their 4 years in college - ie, bio majors or folks who've taken extra physics courses.

6. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I disagree with the last two paragraphs. There is very little, if any, material on the MCAT that is not covered in pre-reqs. Advanced science courses go into much more detail than is necessary. I would make the argument that more than half the material on the exam you learn in HS.

If you feel that the questions you are getting wrong are on material you haven't seen before, then you might be missing something in the passage.

7. AWhitehair

AWhitehair EM PA-C. MD wannabe
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Ha, not if you went to HS in Florida. :laugh:

8. jpostbac

jpostbac Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

cool

9. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

I remember that qestion....

The lumen is the tract itself.. so if you poke a hole in a wall that prevents substances from getting out of the intestinal lumen onto the other side then that hole wouldn't cause a leak of substance into the lumen...

simply because the substance is already in the lumen

10. jpostbac

jpostbac Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks - that helps!

11. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There's a difference between the content of the exam and the skills needed to take the exam. The CONTENT of the exam is very basic science. The skills needed are critical reading skills acquired in intensive science/humanities classes (this is why non-science majors score better on the MCAT on average). Problem solving skills are also acquired in college. But if you look at the CONTENT of the exam, it's very basic.

12. Knickerbocker

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    D was the only one that I could eliminate. I had no idea what the other choices were. Fortunately, the statistics would show that you aren't too badly disadvantaged. Humanities majors score better than biology majors. While biology majors may get trivia questions correct, they aren't getting the reading comprehension as well. You said you generally did well on those, so you'll be ok.

13. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

hahah i didn't know what perineum was......
    and I just looked up....
    The MCAT basically used a glorified word for choda.... to trick us...
    lol those perverse test writers....

14. Brandon81081

Brandon81081 OBGYN
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

any thing with "Perineum" always deals with Abdominal cavity. Pleural always deals where the thoracic cavity(where the lungs are). Parietal and visceral have there meanings here too.

15. Gabujabu

Gabujabu Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Some people do worse b/c of the added pressure but some do better. I personally did 1 point less than my best practice (AAMC 9 - 39), though some people have done +1, +2 compared to their best practice. I found that 7-9 were the most like the real thing.

16. WilliamsF1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I forgot what stereogenic center meant on AAMC 8, lol. After getting it wrong and looking at the solutions, I should kick myself. It would've made it easier of they used "chiral" or "stereo center" for the question instead of stereogenic, wtf.

Btw, I got that one ulcer question right. It was the only term that looked familiar to me.

17. doyourealize1

doyourealize1 Member
    2+ Year Member

It says all over the Digestive System portion of the AAMC topics list that you have to know "gross structure" of its components, so it's a valid question...they're not required ask you whatever is in the prep companies' books, you know.

18. 87138

87138 Guest

Medical Student

Um, no, it doesn't. You're thinking of "peritoneum." Huuuuge difference, as supafield can now attest to.

19. Knickerbocker

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The OP's point was that they felt that the test was geared toward students with advanced classes and that his prereqs didn't truly cover everything needed.

They simply said they chose an answer from something they remembered seeing in an EK book, nothing about expectations.

20. DrVanNostran

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I thought the the sciences on 7,8, and 9 were pretty comparable to the real deal. I scored 3 points less than I did on 9 because I strayed from verbal strategy on Test day (I don't want to get into it, but a huge mistake on my part).

At this point, stay confident people. You are gonna rock the beast.

21. pandulce321

pandulce321 Member
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Its weird you mention that question on 7 because I got it right due to the fact that my mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and it spread throughout her peritoneal cavity. I also knew about the Taxol passage because its a drug she had to take. I really think that if you want to know medicine, and have familiarized yourself with research in medicine then the Bio is very inviting to you. I am still an undergrad, and knew nothing about cancer prior to my mom's diagnosis, but reading research articles for her has been some of the best practice for the Bio section of the MCAT. The MCAT is more than just doing well in these subjects, and I think people lose sight of that. It sucks because I wish my mom hadn't been diagnosed and that I didn't know these things, but I guess it is all relative. :(

22. Brandon81081

Brandon81081 OBGYN
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Ha, thanks for the clarification....o'well I still got the right answer

23. oxeye

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I thought 8 was most comparable in terms of content - 9 most comparable in terms of score.

I scored 3 points lower than 7, 1 or 2 points higher than 8 (can't remember my actual score on it but know the range), and 1 point lower than 9. I say 9 most accurately predicted my score because I was one question shy of getting one point lower in VR on 9. If I had missed just that one question, 9 would have predicted my actual score in all sections.

24. NewKidin2block

7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I can't tell you about my real score compare to 8 and 9, because they weren't even published yet. But I practice with 4-7, and my real score is 34 (13,9,12), my highest score was like 35. My practice score fluctated between 32-35. I guess the real overall score is like +/- 2 the practice score.

I have an impression the practice test is becoming tougher every year. Wondering if anyone seen 1R and 2R.

25. lala83

lala83 Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i was under the impression that the practice aamc tests were actually old mcats previously administered. i guess i was wrong? so aamc just made these up to sell as practice tests and the curves aren't the curves used in reality?

26. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The AAMC tests are combinations of previous MCATs. They are not necessarily one complete administration, but are actual MCAT questions.

27. Kikaku21

Kikaku21 Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    And possibly the easiest ones. :eek: :scared: :eek: :eek: