This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattrex35

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake your DAT. You need a "wow" factor in your application, and it doesn't seem like you have it.
Your GPA is mediocre. Your DAT is mediocre to concerning. I know a lot of schools don't put much emphasis in the QR, but any sections less than 18, in a year where people are studying like crazy because of COVID, will make you less competitive as compared to your peers.
DAT studying is expensive, but just a drop in the bucket compared to the money you'll be spending on a dental education. Don't cheap out now.
I would borrow/save 2 months of living expenses along with DAT testing + prep cost, study 10-12 hours a day for 2 months, and aim for a score 21+ AA. You're so close to getting there with all these interviews, so if you don't get in this year, put yourself in the best possible situation to get in next year. Good luck.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't see a big issue with your DAT score. I wouldn't retake. If you did submit your application early, then you just gotta work on your interview skills more. I hate to say this but I think the concept of "be yourself" is irrelevant when it comes to dental school interviews. To me, don't be yourself but be whoever the interviewers look for in an ideal candidate. Do your research on each school and give them the answers that they want to hear. For the lack of a better term, fake it till you make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Retake your DAT. You need a "wow" factor in your application, and it doesn't seem like you have it.
Your GPA is mediocre. Your DAT is mediocre to concerning. I know a lot of schools don't put much emphasis in the QR, but any sections less than 18, in a year where people are studying like crazy because of COVID, will make you less competitive as compared to your peers.
DAT studying is expensive, but just a drop in the bucket compared to the money you'll be spending on a dental education. Don't cheap out now.
I would borrow/save 2 months of living expenses along with DAT testing + prep cost, study 10-12 hours a day for 2 months, and aim for a score 21+ AA. You're so close to getting there with all these interviews, so if you don't get in this year, put yourself in the best possible situation to get in next year. Good luck.
I really like your critical honesty, I was hoping the dental schools I called responded like this lol. Thanks! Yes, for the past months now, I was planning to retake the DAT, until I called a few dental schools a few days ago, with some schools saying I can reuse my scores but need to add more extracurriculars. I will keep what you said in mind. The DAT is the sure "wow" factor that I can try to achieve, but that is only one factor of my application. I know of a few people with AA-23 and still and only waitlisted (somehow). Is there anything else you can think of other than the DAT that can improve my application?

I don't see a big issue with your DAT score. I wouldn't retake. If you did submit your application early, then you just gotta work on your interview skills more. I hate to say this but I think the concept of "be yourself" is irrelevant when it comes to dental school interviews. To me, don't be yourself but be whoever the interviewers look for in an ideal candidate. Do your research on each school and give them the answers that they want to hear. For the lack of a better term, fake it till you make it.
I feel like my predec interviews could have gone a bit better. Then when the postdec interviews came, I was more prepared, but postdec means less seats anyways, making it harder for me to get in a school in general. Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I will definitely improve my interview skills for the next round. I just hope reusing my DAT scores will not hurt me for some schools.

I feel if you are getting waitlists and interviews then your stats are fine, at least according to those schools. Some people get flat out rejected if their GPA/DAT scores are not impressive. Your stats are fine and I don't think its worth retaking the DAT if you are managing to get interviews

agree with this. On top of this, get some leadership experiences. I think this sets some applicants over others.

Nothing glaring to me, but you haven't shown or disclosed anything to make me excited about your application. Granted you should keep your privacy, so your feedback will only be as good as that.

I don't think it's that late but you should plan on a stronger application. You'll have more hours and a more complete transcript. Maybe that's all you need. Your DAT got you your interviews and I won't recommend a retake but you could if you think your score does not reflect your preparation.

Status
Not open for further replies.