This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Futuredentist9105

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Look into UoP. They have combined 5, 6, and 7 year programs as well that you can apply to right out of high school.

Reactions: 1 users
I am currently a junior in high school, and I am considering applying to a 7 or 8 year direct dental program.

My superscore for my SAT is a 2240. (670 CR, 800 Math, 770 WR). My highest SAT score is a 2190 (620 CR, 800 Math, 770 WR).

I currently have a 3.6 weighted GPA (I know it isn't the best, but I struggled in freshman and sophomore year. However, this year for the first Marking period quarter, I did well and got a 94.5 unweighted GPA. I took several honors and AP classes, so I am assuming that my weighted GPA is over a 100.

I am involved in several extracurriculars: piano since 1st grade, president of a volunteering club at my school, member of varsity model UN team, 3 year varsity tennis team, president and founder of a dental club at my school, volunteer at a local hospital, intern at a dental office, and member of Decision for Dentistry program for high school students.

What are my chances of getting into a 7 or 8 year dental program? I am currently considering Nova Southeastern University, Boston Univeristy, NYU/Adeplhi, and UCONN, but that is because I don't really know any other programs. If you know any dental programs I have a high chance of getting into please let me know!

Thanks!
Marquette has a direct admit 7 year program also

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can do it, go for it. I had a lot of friends who tried to do similar programs for medicine and burned out really quickly. The Med program at my undergrad left no room for a minor, study abroad, or other fun electives. It's a trade off you will have to consider. But hey, if you can save money by shaving off one year and getting a direct admittance, then it may be totally worth it for you. I'd suggest talking to some advisors at the schools you are applying. Maybe they can tell you a little bit more what it's like than the websites do. Worst comes to worst and you just apply like a standard applicant :)

@Incis0r is correct. We have some pretty amazing combined programs at Pacific!

Lehigh, Villanova, and Penn all do 7-yr programs with Penn dental. Case western has 6 and 7 year programs I believe. You can also do NYU with NYU dental. UConn says that their program is really 8 years, but you can do it in 7 (guaranteed admission sort of thing).

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get info on a lot of these programs. I was in one of these 7-years before transferring to a different undergrad. You can message me if you have any questions about it.

I looked into these programs when I was applying to undergrad. The schedule is very tight, no room for error, you have to maintain a pretty high GPA in college, 3.5 minimum at most programs I looked into, and you had no life outside of classes. Besides, what is the rush? You only have a few more years to be a kid, so enjoy these last few years. Find an undergrad school that has generous scholarships, your SAT scores should get you some very good money at many schools, pay as little as possible for your undergrad and it will likely end up costing you less in the long run to do 8 years.

Pitt has one. You have to maintain like a 3.7 science GPA or something though.

Last edited:
Temple has a 7 year program as well. It isn't a guaranteed acceptance but the class schedule is pretty laid back and the requirement to stay in the program through college is around 3.3 gpa.

Njit/Rutgers has one too its honestly not too bad depends on what major you have. defenetly worth it if you can keep up the GPA and follow everything correctly. no need to worry like crazy about getting accepted some have better than other where you have guaranteed acceptance.

Temple's 7-year has a laid back schedule. Hardest classes you'll have are the core classes, however, the minimum GPA required is a 3.75 to even apply. I believe they dont look into SAT scores because Temple doesnt even require SAT scores to apply anymore. I think if you have that 3.75, you'll more than likely be accepted

You just need to maintain a sGPA/oGPA of 3.2 and probably a 20 on the DAT

I am just worried that my GPA is too low to get accepted into any direct dental programs... Is that true?

What is your unweighted GPA. Most colleges remove that weighting and use that. I'm guessing that yes, your GPA is too low. Most of the programs I looked at you needed at least a 3.5 unweighted GPA in high school.

I think you can get in I had a 90 average as a senior graduating. that included 10% on honors classes which most of my classes were honors or ap. I took alot of aps and did well in the sciences Physics 5 chem 4 bio 4 i did really well in my sats 2s in chem and some other ones i took forgot tbh lol its been a while. I got in the program. but my luck when I applied transcript got lost and I wasnt following up on everything long story short i got rejected and am reapplying this year got in 2 schools so far and doing my masters. defenitly doable if you try. I also had a lot of volunteering and clubs that probably helped. and my sats math/reading was 1340. It might be harder to get in now but also depends on how they like you in the interview.
Best of luck lmk if you have any question

Status
Not open for further replies.