7 year requirement for Step 1 scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelpy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, I am an MD student who decided to take a leave absence from the medical school to do a PhD at the same institution (technically MD/PhD) after the first two years of medical school. I took the Step 1 right before starting my PhD. I heard that the Step 1 scores stay in the system for 7 yours before getting deleted. If I take 5 years to do my PhD, that means that my step I scores would no longer be there by the time I finish medical school. How would I go about fixing that? Thanks!

USMLE scores are not deleted; they follow you to the grave. The time limit for completing all parts of the USMLE varies by state. You can find specifics at http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

deleted

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am an Illinois resident, does that mean that I have to take Step 1 again, since it will take more than 7 years for me to take Step 1, 2 and 3 if I complete my PhD in 5 years.

you have to apply to a specific state's medical board when you take Step 3, but it doesn't make any difference which state you apply through when you ultimately apply for licensure. it also doesn't matter where you take the exam. ie i applied to the Delaware state medical board because there is no stated time limit for the three step exams, unlike Connecticut . Most states that have the time limit make an exception for a delay due to pursuing a biomedical phd. Much more importantly, neither CT nor DE require you to apply and pay for a license in that state just to take Step 3, like NY does. So in short, you can apply to one state's medical board to sign up for step 3, take the exam in a second state, and apply for a license in a third one.

There should be no problem with your situation. Exceptions to the 7 year limit can and are granted to med students whose progress throught the system is delayed because of pursuing a PhD in a field of biomedical science.