70+ hours volunteering at big brother big sister

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagleye2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys I was wondering if medical schools will "forgive" a lack of volunteer hours if the volunteering is extra meaningful or signficiant. I will have around 70 hours of big brother big sister direct mentoring by the time I apply. I know the time is a little bit low but since its a respected volunteering position is there any leeway there?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys I was wondering if medical schools will "forgive" a lack of volunteer hours if the volunteering is extra meaningful or signficiant. I will have around 70 hours of big brother big sister direct mentoring by the time I apply. I know the time is a little bit low but since its a respected volunteering position is there any leeway there?
I'm a believer in quality over quantity, but if 70 hrs is all you have, you will be crowded out by candidate with more impressive apps.

Reactions: 1 user
Typically BBBS volunteering is only about 1 hour a week by nature. I was a big brother all four years in college and I only finished with about 140 hours, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's more than some applicants have on their application.

It's more than some applicants have on their application.

I'm a believer in quality over quantity, but if 70 hrs is all you have, you will be crowded out by candidate with more impressive apps.

sorry, to qualify, this would be all the NON-CLINICAL volunteer hours that I have. I have over 100 at the same hospital over 4 years

sorry, to qualify, this would be all the NON-CLINICAL volunteer hours that I have. I have over 100 at the same hospital over 4 years
Yes, you have more than the total of many applicants for nonclinical volunteering hours. I'd consider it a positive that all the hours are for one organization. And that they were meaningful to you. Even better if you eventually assumed a peer leadership position there.

On a separate note, your 100 hours of hospital clinical volunteering are below average, but above the minimum acceptable.

There are mitigating factors for low volunteer hours, but without knowing more about your application, I can't tell if you have them. Do you have a WAMC thread with more info?