5+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm an applicant in this cycle. I have a pretty strong overall application:
MCAT: 31R (12P,11V,8B)
sGPA: 3.9
cGPA: 3.7

Four years of work experience in business before doing a post-bacc. Also have 2 years of lab work (one publication in the works), and many years of volunteering.

I'm a NY resident, but applying fairly broadly. Will my 8 in Bio hold up anywhere? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I'm scheduled to retake the Sept 12th exam, would really like to avoid retaking it, but it seems essential. Any thoughts?

TejasMed2009

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm an applicant in this cycle. I have a pretty strong overall application:
MCAT: 31R (12P,11V,8B)
sGPA: 3.9
cGPA: 3.7

Four years of work experience in business before doing a post-bacc. Also have 2 years of lab work (one publication in the works), and many years of volunteering.

I'm a NY resident, but applying fairly broadly. Will my 8 in Bio hold up anywhere? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I'm scheduled to retake the Sept 12th exam, would really like to avoid retaking it, but it seems essential. Any thoughts?
You should be fine with the 8 if you apply broadly. I got in with a 9 and similar stats + story as you. Everything else looks great.

Stratego

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2009
Status
If you take a look at the school selection spreadsheet stickied to the top of this forum (taken from the MSAR), it lists the bottom tenth percentile for the BS for all schools. At the end of the list there are a few schools listing an 8, but none are in NY. I'd probably hold off until you get your new score back. I don't think you have any choice about retaking the test unless you apply to DO schools.