Medical 8 To-Dos for Canadians Applying to U.S. Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Each year, Canadian medical school hopefuls look across the border for their medical education. While there are obvious challenges (adapting to a different healthcare system, returning to Canada after med school to a Canadian residency, and much higher costs), the higher acceptance rates at U.S. programs (about 40% overall for U.S. allopathic programs, as compared to just 17% in Canada) can make an American medical education appealing.

8 tips for Canadian med school applicants
If you’re a Canadian considering going south for medical school, here are some things you should keep in mind:

1. Think about life after medical school
    Your future path will be determined by choices you make now. Do you want to return to Canada for your residency training? In that case, you should pursue allopathic medicine; Canadian graduates of U.S. osteopathic programs are classified as international medical graduates, which puts them at a serious disadvantage when it comes to applying to Canadian residency programs.
    On the other hand, if you’re happy to stay in the U.S. for your residency, an osteopathic program could be a good fit. American-trained DO residents are recognized by the College of Family Physicians of Canada, smoothing the path for your return after residency.
  2. Apply selectively
    Not all medical schools accept applicants from Canada, and those that do, look at Canadian applicants in different ways.
    Some allopathic programs consider Canadians but not other international applicants. Others classify Canadians without U.S. permanent resident status as international applicants. This requires demonstration of funding for the entire course of study (some even require that funds be placed in escrow). Using the Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR), you can filter the schools’ admissions policies.
    Although you do need to consider your future residency prospects, osteopathic schools can be a good option, especially if your stats aren’t particularly high. Some of them welcome Canadians, and MSUCOM even offers a special program for Canadian applicants.
    When considering the competitiveness of your profile for a particular school, looking at the out-of-state numbers will give you a better idea of what to reach for.
    To discover the specific requirements for schools that interest you, use the MSAR and contact individual schools. (Although there are lists online, don’t rely solely on them. Some are too old to have the newer schools, and many schools have changed their policies.) Doing your research up front ensures that you don’t waste your time and money.
  3. Timing is critical
    The U.S. application season starts much earlier and runs much longer than the Canadian one. This means you need to:
    • Take your MCAT at the latest in the spring of the year you intend to apply. Exam dates offered during the summer can be used, but delay consideration of your application.
    • Create your primary application early so you can submit at the start of the season. For allopathic schools, the first day to submit is May 30, 2019, and schools start receiving applications on June 28, 2019. For osteopathic schools, you should aim to have your application in around the same time; schools start receiving applications on June 14, 2019.
    • Turn around your secondary essays promptly (within 10-14 days of receipt). It’s a grueling schedule, but one that proves very important in acceptances. If you’re accepted, it also allows time (which can be extensive) to secure the I-20 visa required for study in the U.S.
  4. Present a well-rounded profile
    Successful applicants have exceptionally high GPAs (American programs consider both science and non-science GPAs). Even DO schools, which tend to be less competitive, will require higher than average GPAs for non-U.S. applicants.
    Strong extracurricular activities (research, community service, and especially clinical experience) are also critical. Since legal restrictions can limit what Canadian undergraduates can do in the medical arena, you’ll need to think creatively. Pursuing clinical missions abroad is a good way to gain clinical experience; working as an EMT or paramedic is another; volunteering in nursing homes is yet another way to gain meaningful patient contact. And if you have any opportunity to gain U.S. experience, take it.
  5. Choose references wisely
    Find referees who both know you well and are prepared to write about you in glowing terms. Evaluation letters are no place for Canadian self-deprecation. When you request a letter of recommendation, provide a list of your highlighted accomplishments as well as a CV, and be as direct as possible about any specific areas that you’d like your recommender to address. In most cases, they will appreciate such guidance.
  6. Apply for an MD-PhD
    Although these are very competitive, they are a good option if you have meaningful research experience and hope to pursue a career in academic medicine. Medical Scientist Training Programs (MSTP) typically welcome international applicants. These are fully funded positions, which will help mitigate the current exchange rate.
  7. Show your fit
    When secondaries roll around, be ready to show the schools some love. It’s not enough to cite generic facts like “early clinical exposure” and “outstanding faculty.” Dig deeper into their mission and philosophy, facilities, and specific offerings. If you can’t figure out what makes the school unique, then you aren’t ready to apply.
    It’s also a good idea to highlight any connection to the school/area. Did your research supervisor do postgraduate work there? Do any family members reside there? Citing your knowledge of the program as well as your local support network can help show your fit.
  8. Prepare for interviews
    Unlike Canadian schools, most U.S. programs use a traditional interview formatthat requires you to talk about yourself. If this is not something that you’re comfortable with, adding it to your early preparations will make a significant difference.
Bottom line
Applying to U.S. medical schools can be a tricky proposition, but if you follow these steps, you’ll be in the best shape possible.

Do you need help applying to medical school, in the U.S. or anywhere else? Explore our Medical School Admissions Services and work one-on-one with a seasoned application expert who will guide you to acceptance at the best med school for YOU.

A former admissions committee member and administrator at the University of Washington School of Medicine, Cydney Foote has successfully advised healthcare applicants, including those applying to medical school, dental school, nursing and PA programs, veterinary school, public health and hospital administration programs, post-baccalaureate medical programs, residencies and fellowships. Since 2001, she has brought her marketing and writing expertise to help science-focused students communicate their strengths. Want Cyd to help you get Accepted? Click here to get in touch!

Related Resources:

Navigating the Med School Maze, a free guide
International Students: How to Finance Your U.S. Education, a podcast episode
What Do the Medical School Admissions Teams Say About Admissions?

This article was originally posted on blog.accepted.com.

Applying to medical school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants like you get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, working on your AMCAS application, working on secondary essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away. Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

How about a similar list for Canadian residents who would be IMG and want US residencies?

How much would having a doctorate degree from a top Canadian school help a Canadian when applying to US md schools?

How much would having a doctorate degree from a top Canadian school help a Canadian when applying to US md schools?
It would help somewhat, assuming good grades. However, I can't quantify the impact. The impact would also depend on how related the PhD i sto medicine. your grades in the program, and how well qualified you are in terms of clinical exposure, community, MCAT, etc. Nothing is looked at in a vacuum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not getting a PhD, I am getting an optometry degree and apparently aamcas doesn’t count those grades towards my gpa. I’m gonna go with the I like optometry but want to be an OMD for an expanded scope reason for switching careers.

I’m not getting a PhD, I am getting an optometry degree and apparently aamcas doesn’t count those grades towards my gpa. I’m gonna go with the I like optometry but want to be an OMD for an expanded scope reason for switching careers.
I assume you mean that you want to become an MD and focus on ophthalmology with its expanded scope as your reason for switching careers. Makes sense.

There are a few alumni from my program that got into MD with that reasoning, so it has worked. How do you think US schools would view this?

My Ugpa is 4.0 and I will get around a 520 on the mcat.

Mr. Donald Mouse,

Those are pretty impressive stats! As long as you are otherwise competitive and apply to programs that are open to non-U.S. residents, I'm optimistic about your chances.

Best,
Linda