8 weeks enough to study for step 1 ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kornphan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 8 weeks of study time left for step 1, doing Qbank and FA etc.. I spend about 3 hours a day and all w/e on this. Will I be brepared for the real thing in 8 weeks ?.. thanks for any advise.. greatly appreciated.

korndawg

Members don't see this ad.

Yup, I think that 8 weeks with half a day of studying should be sufficient for step I. You may want to take some more time off 1 month prior to your step I date, and purchase q bank at that time and run through the practice questions then too. If you do the practice questions and read during the same day, and want to finish q bank in 1 month; that may take you more then 3 hrs per day. Good luck!

3 weeks here. 8-10 hours/day.

most students at my school do 3-4 weeks. nobody does 8 weeks because we don't have that much time.

we surveyed the third years and average prep time for our school and I think VCU was 3-3.5 weeks.

8 is more than enough...........i personally think it is way tooo much and a huge overkill.

later

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I'm been studying for Step 1 for the past 2 years. Whoa!! Hold on....before I get flamed....

Isn't going to school first and second year technically studying for boards?? LOL

In all honesty, I'm dedicating 3 weeks from May 16-June 9. I'm taking boards June 10.

MS-2....almost done!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

:wow:

Mossjoh :thumbup:

Moss,

You'd be surprised at how much information is info that quickly goes in and out of your memory. I do agree that working hard in the preclinical years helps out when reviewing for boards later, but some of this stuff I'm studying now (taking it in 10 days) would be really hard to remember for a while. Best of luck on studying.

Oh, to the original poster. You should be fine. I agree that you should step it up for the last month by doing a lot of questions. My study plan was for 5 weeks and I think that by next week, I'll be ready to go! 8 weeks would drive me crazy.

Originally posted by souljah1
Moss,

You'd be surprised at how much information is info that quickly goes in and out of your memory. I do agree that working hard in the preclinical years helps out when reviewing for boards later, but some of this stuff I'm studying now (taking it in 10 days) would be really hard to remember for a while.

Yup, so true! I started my "light review" early in second year (actually, partially in the summer between first and second year), but didn't retain that much. I actually had a very complicated, long study schedule spanning 14 months and involving First Aid, Step-Up, Princeton Review, Kaplan's QBank and Integrated Vignettes, separate review books for each subject, the official NBME "practice tests," etc. :)

I know stuff slips out.....I was just making a point guys. I'll be cramming for boards like everyone else.....

Mossjoh