$80,000 worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So far I have one acceptance at MSUCOM, but the problem is I am OOS and would have to pay $80,000 a year for my tuition. I am waiting to hear back from 3 more MD interviews and have one more interview left at KCUCOM. I really liked east lansing and know that MSUCOM is a good school, but am wondering if it is worth $80,000 per year. If I don't get into the 3 MD schools I interviewed at I am not sure what I will do. I plan on pursuing anesthesiology, but even with that type of salary I am scared of being in so much debt. I am just wondering what other peoples perspectives on this situation are and would like some insight from some senior members if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Is $80,000 only for tuition or is it total CoA?

Reactions: 1 user
worth it, yesssss. you will figure out how to pay off loans eventually

Members don't see this ad :)
Your odds are really to be accepted elsewhere, but otherwise, still worth it. One of the best DO schools and will keep you competitive, even with the merger.

Look into when you can qualify as in-state resident (no idea). HPSP is a thought too if you actually would like to serve in the military.

Otherwise, NHSC is an interesting grant/scholarship but you'd have to commit to primary care.

Your options will be good I think, and if not, MSUCOM is a fantastic school.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

If MSUCOM ends up being the only school that accepts you, it's simply going to come down to if you really want to become a doctor or not. But if you interviewed at 3 other MD schools, the odds are likely at least one of them will accept you.

Reactions: 3 users
$80,000 in tuition would be INSANE

Ya that's what I was thinking but the OP said "$80,000 a year for my tuition" but I wasn't sure. $80,000 in tuition alone would, imo, not be worth it.

NPSLF, IBR,
Back of envelope
500k after residency. 100K towards payment would mean debt free in about 6 years if you continue to live at residency income levels.

Reactions: 4 users
IIRC, USC-Greenville was up around 80k per year with OOS COA over 100k, although they do make it fairly* easy to get IS tuition the last 3 years

NPSLF, IBR,
Back of envelope
500k after residency. 100K towards payment would mean debt free in about 6 years if you continue to live at residency income levels.
Take a fellowship in financial freedom, OP.

If it's 80k vs not going, 80k every time.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
tuition only

Jesus.
I think you're the only one who can decide if it's worth it. But if I was in your situation, I would not be willing to pay $80,000 in tuition only.

Reactions: 3 users
Jesus.
I think you're the only one who can decide if it's worth it. But if I was in your situation, I would not be willing to pay $80,000 in tuition only.
I would be willing, but I'd eat ramen for 10 years haha

Reactions: 5 users
I think if you're looking at 500k debt before even heading into residency you'd need to go into this planning on loan forgiveness options

Reactions: 2 users
Their not the only one, a number of state schools have sky high tuition for their OOS students. They usually do have ways to knock it down a bit though.

Yup. University of Illinois is nearly 80k for OOS tuition alone. And there's no way to knock it down, it's not possible to reclassify as a resident or anything. I'm not sure why anyone would apply to UIC knowing what the out of state tuition is.

Bummer! Allergies are the worst, huh? :/

Whenever I start to complain about my own minor health problems, I just remind myself about how much worse it could possibly be. We've learned about some pretty nasty pathology.

Their not the only one, a number of state schools have sky high tuition for their OOS students. They usually do have ways to knock it down a bit though.
Really? You're actually not the first person I've heard say this, but I've always wondered what those "ways" really could be. Small scholarships here and there over the years?

Really? You're actually not the first person I've heard say this, but I've always wondered what those "ways" really could be. Small scholarships here and there over the years?

In Ohio, you can reclassify as a resident after first year.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm assuming you applied there for a reason, knowing the cost. Any school you apply to could be the only one that accepts you.

If it comes down to being a doctor vs not being a doctor, go to MSU and then do HPSP or FAP or whichever one of those military programs is better

Yeah some schools don't knock it down but some allow you to reclassify as a resident after a year, as mentioned above. Unfortunately you are right and MI isn't one of those states. Over in the class thread someone mentioned that MSU has an OOS scholarship that knocks it down to about 60k, but this is just what they told me I have no idea how many get it or if it's even true.

Reactions: 1 users
NPSLF, IBR,
Back of envelope
what does NPSLF and IBR stand for? and what envelope lol I'm missing something

Hello,

So far I have one acceptance at MSUCOM, but the problem is I am OOS and would have to pay $80,000 a year for my tuition. I am waiting to hear back from 3 more MD interviews and have one more interview left at KCUCOM. I really liked east lansing and know that MSUCOM is a good school, but am wondering if it is worth $80,000 per year. If I don't get into the 3 MD schools I interviewed at I am not sure what I will do. I plan on pursuing anesthesiology, but even with that type of salary I am scared of being in so much debt. I am just wondering what other peoples perspectives on this situation are and would like some insight from some senior members if possible.

Did you apply to any other D.O. Schools?

income based repayment.
Consolidate loans.
Public health loan repayment program.