80 hours: when to blow the whistle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean wilson

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a prelim leaving for another institution and am being way overworked to the tune of 90-100 hours/week. This program, which I will not be naming as of now, does not seem to be interested in doing anything about the situation. Many of the interns are upset, but most are here as categoricals and are naturally worried that a complaint would hurt them by hurting the program. Regardless, the situation is unfair and something needs to be done. If we were to be caught breaking the rules, we could be thrown out. The program ought not to be able to do this, either.

Who else is in this situation and what are you contemplating about it?

Members don't see this ad.

sean wilson said:
I'm a prelim leaving for another institution and am being way overworked to the tune of 90-100 hours/week. This program, which I will not be naming as of now, does not seem to be interested in doing anything about the situation. Many of the interns are upset, but most are here as categoricals and are naturally worried that a complaint would hurt them by hurting the program. Regardless, the situation is unfair and something needs to be done. If we were to be caught breaking the rules, we could be thrown out. The program ought not to be able to do this, either.

I hope that is not your real name, posted on this thread. Do you know how easy it is to find a name, and match it to a residency prog?
I do agree with you as far as hrs, but I would take your name off of this thread, before they(Prog) dosnt make your life hell. There are many PD's who vist these sites, on a daily basis.

Good luck, and PM me if you have any questions regardrding this matter.

sean wilson said:

Are you in a "FMG dominated" program? If you are, then I am not impressed by the hours at all. I have followed many interns (IM and General Surgery) at FMG infested programs who worked 100+ hours/week.

Usually FMGs are very reluctant to report "abuse" for fear of not being able to get another spot somewhere else.
Good Luck.

Leukocyte said:
Are you in a "FMG dominated" program? If you are, then I am not impressed by the hours at all. I have followed many interns (IM and General Surgery) at FMG infested programs who worked 100+ hours/week.

Usually FMGs are very reluctant to report "abuse" for fear of not being able to get another spot somewhere else.

I would have to not agree with you, regarding FMG's not reporting work issues. In many cases, programs that are reported or a program has issues; the residents are placed in different program. In many cases if the hospital is affiliated with a University, the new residents are placed in one of their affiliated programs. So in some cases, it could work to your advantage. I would not use this as a way to get into a better program, although I would make sure that your program is following by the rules.
I do know that if a program is shut down, the PD has a responsibility to find new positions for his/her residents.

So FMG or not, it is our ethical responsibility to follow suite in this humanistic approach to modern medical training.

Well, if the PD of a "shut-down" program is required to find spots for his residents, then SUPER!!!, especially since one of the most important concerns of the FMGs I worked with was not being able to find a spot IN THE SAME SPECIALTY, if their program gets shut-down.

If your program is going over 80 hours, what are you doing about it? It takes an effort of everyone involved to whittle those hours down to 80. Not just the attendings, but the residents and chiefs need to get together and come up with a solution, whether it be a night float system, better cross coverage, or residents basically helping each other out.

"Who else is in this situation and what are you contemplating about it?"

I was an EM intern working on a trauma rotation that was struggling to get under the 80 hours limit. The head of the trauma division told us to come to him with problems, not the RRC. At the end of the rotation I had averaged about 90 a week (not bad, but over the limit.) So I sent him a letter, CCed it to the surgery PD and my PD and within two months my colleagues rotating on the service (and the other interns as well) were under 80 hours. No one got in trouble and the problem was solved.

sean wilson said:

If you want to blow the whistle "just because" you aren't under the "80 hours rule," then you should get a life -- perhaps in some other field.

If you want to blow the whistle because you feel your performance is suffering because of lack of sleep/rest, you have made mistakes, you are resisting "the right thing to do" because you are too tired, feel aggression towards your colleagues or patients, fall asleep at stop lights, can't concentrate on your academic studies, etc., then have the balls to talk to your program director before going to the ACGME. If your program doesn't seem to be interested in change (and I don't really know what that means by your post), then talk to your hospital/university's residency director/representative/whatever.