9 Months To Go Before Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dinkin Flicka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone admitted planning on doing?

I've never taken Anatomy in college, should I do a course over YouTube or pickup a book to learn the basics? I don't want to be already behind other students who have taken the course already during their undergraduate career.

I am no where near neurotic, but I've heard Anatomy is the killer during the first semester of Medical School.

Recommendations?

Members don't see this ad.

You should enjoy not being in medical school while you can. Don't get me wrong, I love being in medical school, but you're very busy and there isn't time to do everything you want to do, especially things that require a long time commitment. You'll be learning anatomy for the rest of your life. Use those 9 months to do something that you won't be able to do again for a long time. You won't be behind by not taking anatomy before med school, I promise.

Reactions: 8 users
Yes, learn The times of day when your most productive, make a schedule and learn how to stick to it, learn to get up early so you have more time in the day to do things you need to do. Learn how to use anki. Do not study! It is useless you forget everything

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I could see that being helpful, with it being so close to your start date, so it would be fresh. However, I will say - anatomy was a pre-req for my school. I took it my junior year of undergrad and did very well. Things I remembered from it for my neuro block: oh yeah the big hole in the skull is called the foramen magnum, and then the major structures of the brain. The only people who seem to be helped by having a prior background in anatomy are the people who have had a real background in it, like a masters, or if they TAed it for a few years. If it's not even a pre-req in your school, I doubt you would be "behind".

Have a baby, obviously. There's no time for sex once you start

Reactions: 12 users
If only having a baby were limited to the sex part. What do you do with said baby after med school starts?
let the wife handle it?

wow, I sound terrible. for real, just kidding

Reactions: 3 users
I'm trying to enjoy my time by
-reading as much history and other nonfiction as I can. Just finished "The Fall of Berlin" by Antony Beevor
-signing up for a 50m ultramarathon (I've been a strength athlete for a while) to explore something new, my only goal is to finish within the time cap while carrying as much muscle mass as possible
-going into the wild with lots of camping and backpacking trips
-training my pistol and rifle shooting
(Yes I work but I have a flexible schedule and I wake up early lol)

If only having a baby were limited to the sex part. What do you do with said baby after med school starts?

Sell it to a rich sterile couple to pay for tuition. Do you see now how this is the perfect plan?

Reactions: 10 users

I've never taken Anatomy in college, should I do a course over YouTube or pickup a book to learn the basics? I don't want to be already behind other students who have taken the course already during their undergraduate career.

I am no where near neurotic, but I've heard Anatomy is the killer during the first semester of Medical School.

Recommendations?

If you prepare yourself as much as you possibly can, you still won't even have 1% of the anatomy knowledge that med school anatomy will require. You have precious little free time left; enjoy it instead of wasting it on futile pursuits.

Im working in the ER and saving $$. Trying to enjoy my bank account in the positives for now

Reactions: 1 users
Insert evil laugh .... but then again he is NOT a serial killer..... at least that's what the jury thought

What evil? A barren couple gets a cute new baby, OP gets a lot of money and a little bow-chicka-wow-wow, everyone wins! If that's evil, then I'll change my name to @ASerialKiller

Recommendations?

The mistake most pre-meds make is that studying before medical school will make them more competitive, or it may give you an edge. In the words of Yoda "You need to clear your mind!" You've been chosen for the varsity team, and they will teach you medicine. Do NOT waste your last months prior to med school studying. Travel. Sit on a beach. Hike. Swim with whales. Teach yoga, teach children - just do something that means something to YOU and is peaceful. The next 4 years will be a whirlwind. Maybe you've heard the medstudent/resident mantra? "Eat when you can, sleep when you can, crap when you can." Now you have time to enjoy life a bit - do so.

I personally don't see the harm in reviewing some basic stuff before school as long as you don't do it to the point where t stressed you and you can do it in an enjoyable way. I like using apps that quiz you on anatomy. Using those I already knew like ~60% of the terms for my undergrad anatomy class before getting into it and it wasn't really stressful or particularly difficult.

Currently trying to convince myself not to quit my job because I just want to travel and pursue hobbies.

Reactions: 3 users
Currently trying to convince myself not to quit my job because I just want to travel and pursue hobbies.

The struggle is real.

@UNMedGa
Pre-studying sounds awful to me. Especially when I know there's no way I would be reviewing topics consistently enough for it to matter once the time comes.

If it's as a hobby or love of learning, fair enough.

But just to boost your confidence and make yourself feel better? Obviously there are no data on this but that just sounds counter productive.

And obviously you know yourself better but just to chime in my two cents: I wouldn't use your last free spring/summer for studying.

I'm trying out new easy, quick, healthy recipes as much as I can! My friends already in med school have said that their diets completely crashed when they first started, and I want to try to avoid that as much as possible. Also building up a more scheduled workout routine :)

Please do anything else other than medicine. People often forget that medschool is more than just classes; you pick up increased obligations, extracurriculars, etc. You'll have it oozing out of every orifice for the rest of your life. I have moments now where I have to literally take a day or two of not doing anything medically related to remain sane and I'm not alone. Don't exacerbate that by filling your ample free time now with stuff that you'll have to relearn in 9 months anyway.

Recommendations?

I'm always amazed that so many people enter med school without anatomy, but they will teach you everything you need to know. And I feel like the majority of students do not have any anatomy background, so you wouldn't be in the minority.

I took anatomy in college and high school and it's one of my favorite subjects. Idk if you are still in school, but if it was me, I would add it to my schedule. Or look for a coursera course. But only if you think you will enjoy it! Don't stress yourself out about it. If you aren't doing class/work in the next semester, it might be nice to keep yourself busy.

I agree with many people above- do things that you will enjoy!

The struggle is real.

@UNMedGa
Pre-studying sounds awful to me. Especially when I know there's no way I would be reviewing topics consistently enough for it to matter once the time comes.

If it's as a hobby or love of learning, fair enough.

But just to boost your confidence and make yourself feel better? Obviously there are no data on this but that just sounds counter productive.

And obviously you know yourself better but just to chime in my two cents: I wouldn't use your last free spring/summer for studying.

Yeah, it fell entirely into the realm of hobby/love of the material for me. I got actual enjoyment out of it. If it doesn't get into that realm for someone - if it feels more like a chore than an enjoyable activity - then I'd also advise against it.