Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Its nice to see some stuff happening in Oregon and new specialties.

WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Psychiatry Residency Psychiatry Corvallis OR

Largo Medical Center - Dermatology Residency Dermatology Largo FL
Largo Medical Center - Anesthesiology Residency Anesthesiology Largo FL
Largo Medical Center - Surgery-General Residency Surgery-General Largo FL

Botsford Hospital - Plastic & Reconstructive Surg Residency Plastic & Reconstructive Surg Farmington Hills MI

NYCOM/South Nassau Communities Hosp - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Oceanside NY

Tahlequah City Hospital - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Tahlequah OK

Edward W. Sparrow Hospital - Family Practice/OMT Residency Family Practice Lansing MI

UMDNJ/SOM/Kennedy Mem Hsp/Our Lady of Lourdes - Sleep Medicine Residency Sleep Medicine Stratford NJ

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok my Wowness is taken back LOL.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know Western U is making a big push in Oregon so expect things to be happening there.

PunkmedGirl

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
That's good. I love the Northwest. I thought all the new ones were in Oregan LOL.. But it is a nice list of residencies that are available to students like me on the up and coming, though not my preferred states LOL except one.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA/ST. CLOUD HOSPITAL FACULTY POSITION -The University of Minnesota/St. Cloud Hospital Family Medicine Residency, a 4-4-4 community-based program in St. Cloud, Minnesota, is seeking a BE/BC family physician. Our residency will be starting its 12th year in July. We have seasoned faculty that all have great passion for teaching. Our patient population is diverse in socioeconomic status and ethnicity. Faculty responsibilities will include teaching and supervision of residents, direct patient care, and administrative responsibilities commensurate with the position. As we are in the process of becoming a dually accredited residency, D.O. applicants are strongly encouraged to apply. We offer a highly competitive salary and benefits.
About St. Cloud, MN- Located on the banks of the Mississippi River in the heart of Minnesota lake country, St. Cloud, Minnesota, is a family-oriented community with an area population of 125,000. The community offers numerous four-season recreational activities, sporting and cultural events. It is located just 60 miles (one hour) northwest of Minneapolis/St. Paul. As the center of Minnesota's fastest growing metropolitan area, St. Cloud serves as a commercial hub for over 250,000 people. In addition to our strong economic environment, St. Cloud offers very ample and diverse opportunities in education, recreation and the arts. It is a wonderful place to live, work and raise a family. A variety of public and private schools provide high quality options for elementary and secondary education, as well as four local colleges for a wide range of higher education opportunities.

About St. Cloud Hospital- St. Cloud Hospital is Central Minnesota's largest regional medical center. Licensed for 489 beds, the hospital was designated a Magnet hospital in 2004 and puts pride in retaining caring, skilled professionals who are committed to quality. St. Cloud Hospital has 3,645 employees, and its 380 physicians represent 40 medical and surgical specialties. St. Cloud Hospital has six times been named a "Top 100 Hospital" and seven times been named a "Top 100 Heart Hospital" by Thomson, the nation's leading health care data firm.

Cpt Starbuck

Finally on Earth!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
On the way back to Earth!
Status
Post Doc
Can you please publish the links for that? (list of new residencies) Thanks.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just went to the DO opportunities website and noticed an increase into total programsfrom 693 to 702 and then I arrange the programs by program# and the higher the # the newer the program (normally)

http://opportunities.osteopathic.org/index.htm

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Its nice to see some stuff happening in Oregon and new specialties....
Yes, but it's not a new thing. New osteopathic residencies and fellowships have been created at a pretty constant basis in the last few years. And, it's not just primary care spots that are being increased. Other specialties are growing. Compare just the last few years and look at the changed from 2005 to 2007. While some of them still don't have a lot of spots, the percentage of these residencies and fellowships have all increased:

anes 4.29%
anes & pain mgt 900.00%
derm 13.68%
em 13.75%
em/im 22.02%
fp 6.80%
fp/em 100.00%
geriatrics 75.00%
im 32.38%
cardiology 31.40%
cards (interventional) 200.00%
critical care 116.67%
gastro 16.67%
hem/onc 150.00%
nephro 100.00%
onco 100.00%
pulmonary 250.00%
pulm/critical care 41.67%
rheum 33.33%
nmm/omm 16.13%
ob/gyn 8.75%
optho 35.71%
ortho 10.76%
ent 10.87%
pm&r 211.11%
psych 21.43%
surgery 17.63%
nerosurg 65.38%
plastics 100.00%
urology 21.62%

Plus, there are fellowships that didn't exist in 2005 but do now:

endocrine
cardiac electrophysiology
forensic pathology
hand surgery
ortho spine surgery

The total number of available positions has increased 15.87% in that two-year time span. Say what you will, but there IS work being done on osteopathic GME.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, but it's not a new thing.
Sorry if I sounded like the AOA doesnt create OGME. I keep a close eye on their development, I merely post activity for the know-it-all on SDN that think they are building schools with out increasing OGME.

francais7979

french7979
10+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Does this mean that these residencies are just for DO students?? Are these residencies equivalent to the Allopathic residencies?

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Does this mean that these residencies are just for DO students?? Are these residencies equivalent to the Allopathic residencies?
Yes, they are only for DO students. There really is no way to measure equivalency. There will be some good ones and probably some bad ones in both ACGME and AOA residencies. The majority of people seem to be of the opinion that, overall, ACGME residencies will better prepare you. That's a decision that each individual really has make on his or her own. I'm not ready to make a statement of opinion on that yet.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I'm really glad to see very specialized residencies being created. I hope this trend continues, and in great numbers!!

fabu1ous

Wow, it is so clear...
10+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2007
Looking into the sky :)
Status
Pre-Medical
:thumbup: Always good to see more opportunities opening in FL as well!

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
More Oregon and Washington added

182483 MSUCOM/Oakwood Annapolis Hospital - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Wayne MI

182480 MWU/AZCOM/Yavapai Regional Med Ctr - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Prescott AZ

182474 NSUCOM/Largo Medical Center - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Largo FL

182473 PCSOM/Central WA Family Medicine Residency Program - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Yakima WA

182472 EVVCOM/Bluefield Regional Medical Center - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Bluefield WV

182471 EVVCOM/Montgomery Regional Hospital - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Blacksburg VA

182469 WVSOM/Ruby Memorial Hospital - Occupational Environmental Med Residency Occupational Environmental Med Morgantown WV

182467 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Corvallis OR

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Actually, these aren't new residencies, they're just filed under the new name of the hospital. They used to be at Suncoast, which went bankrupt, was bought by HCA and is now part of "Largo Medical Center". They're probably just listed as new programs since the accreditation had to be changed to LMC.

BobBarker

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Tahlequah, OK?? Tahlequah is way too small to get a full experience. I know OSU's goal is primary care in rural communities, but that just isn't a good spot for a residency.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Tahlequah, OK?? Tahlequah is way too small to get a full experience. I know OSU's goal is primary care in rural communities, but that just isn't a good spot for a residency.
It doesnt show the Rotation list yet, but im sure the specialty months will be somewhere else. Standard procedure for FM residencies.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Actually, these aren't new residencies, they're just filed under the new name of the hospital. They used to be at Suncoast, which went bankrupt, was bought by HCA and is now part of "Largo Medical Center". They're probably just listed as new programs since the accreditation had to be changed to LMC.
Well the program essentially gained 256 beds to work with the way I read it, for a 456 total.

Cpt Starbuck

Finally on Earth!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status
Post Doc
Why would you say that? How is Durant any different (other of the other FM residencies)? Community hospitals are where alot of FM programs are training, especially if they are unopposed (no other residents). I think its actually quite a good area for training. Its ashame that its not at the indian hospital instead of city since its bigger.

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Durant is a freaking 6'10" wing player with guard skills, and a great Texas Longhorn. He is a future NBA superstar.
future?

Edit: spooky thread, since Durant will be playing in Oklahoma next year...

primadonna22274

10+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2005
The Sunny South but homesick for the Best Coast
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Really? In Corvallis? Wow, I may get to come home after all.
Hadn't really considered Western U/COMP although I probably should with the NW track and all. Hmmm...another one to add to the list....

182467 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Corvallis OR

Baller Status

10+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2008
Mississauga,Ontario
Status
Pre-Medical
Its nice to see some stuff happening in Oregon and new specialties.

WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Psychiatry Residency Psychiatry Corvallis OR

Botsford Hospital - Plastic & Reconstructive Surg Residency Plastic & Reconstructive Surg Farmington Hills MI

NYCOM/South Nassau Communities Hosp - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Oceanside NY

Tahlequah City Hospital - Family Practice Residency Family Practice Tahlequah OK

Edward W. Sparrow Hospital - Family Practice/OMT Residency Family Practice Lansing MI

UMDNJ/SOM/Kennedy Mem Hsp/Our Lady of Lourdes - Sleep Medicine Residency Sleep Medicine Stratford NJ
Good Stuff!

Cpt Starbuck

Finally on Earth!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
Status
Post Doc
Durant is a freaking 6'10" wing player with guard skills, and a great Texas Longhorn. He is a future NBA superstar.
Not what I was going for but thanks for the derail!

;)

BobBarker

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Why would you say that? How is Durant any different (other of the other FM residencies)? Community hospitals are where alot of FM programs are training, especially if they are unopposed (no other residents). I think its actually quite a good area for training. Its ashame that its not at the indian hospital instead of city since its bigger.
Not a big fan of the "Dooo-rant" residency either. Most of the nitty gritty in Tahlequah is at the Indian hospital, and what heavy cases that come through will get punted to Fayetteville or Tulsa lickity split. Hopefully, both places turf out their residents to other institutions for several months to help get some variety/broader experience. I know at OSU CHS several of the programs send the residents out to Cleveland, Miami, KC, etc because CHS just doesn't have the case profile/patient makeup necessary for the best training.

scdocusc

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status
Great!!! more programs in states that already have a crap load already!!!!

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
182514 OSUCOM/St. Francis Hospital South - Internal Medicine Residency Internal Medicine Tulsa OK

182511 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Pulmonary-Critical Care Residency Pulmonary-Critical Care Monterey Park CA

182509 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Interventional Cardiology Residency Interventional Cardiology Monterey Park CA

182507 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Cardiology Residency Cardiology Monterey Park CA

182505 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency Internal Medicine Monterey Park CA

182503 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Interventional Cardiology Residency Interventional Cardiology Corvallis OR

182502 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency Internal Medicine Corvallis OR

182500 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Gastroenterology Residency Gastroenterology Corvallis OR

182499 MSUCOM/Sinai-Grace Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency Internal Medicine Detroit MI

182497 Wilson Memorial Reg Med Ctr - Endocrinology Residency Endocrinology Johnson City NY

182496 Metro Health Hospital - Cardiology Residency Cardiology Grand Rapids MI

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
182514 OSUCOM/St. Francis Hospital South - Internal Medicine Residency Internal Medicine Tulsa OK

182511 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Pulmonary-Critical Care Residency Pulmonary-Critical Care Monterey Park CA

182509 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Interventional Cardiology Residency Interventional Cardiology Monterey Park CA

182507 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Cardiology Residency Cardiology Monterey Park CA

182505 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Internal Medicine Residency Internal Medicine Monterey Park CA

182503 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Interventional Cardiology Residency Interventional Cardiology Corvallis OR

182502 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Internal Medicine Residency Internal Medicine Corvallis OR

182500 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Gastroenterology Residency Gastroenterology Corvallis OR

182499 MSUCOM/Sinai-Grace Hospital - Internal Medicine Residency Internal Medicine Detroit MI

182497 Wilson Memorial Reg Med Ctr - Endocrinology Residency Endocrinology Johnson City NY

182496 Metro Health Hospital - Cardiology Residency Cardiology Grand Rapids MI
hmmm ... nice.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
182520 WesternU/COMP/Good Samaritan Reg Med Ctr - Cardiology Residency Corvallis OR

182518 WesternU/COMP/Garfield Medical Center - Diagnostic Radiology Residency Monterey Park CA

182517 WVSOM/WVUH Children's - Pediatrics Residency Morgantown WV

182516 Mercy General Health Partners - Neuromusculoskeletal Med/OMT Residency Muskegon MI

182515 St Barnabas Hospital - Neuromusculoskeletal Med + 1 Residency Bronx NY

nlax30

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Was just going to ask about this as I've been hearing "stuff" about Suncoast for some time now. Are they taking over the Suncoast facility or just transferring things over to Largo Med?

Nice to know they're at least keeping the programs around. At least they'll have a little more stability behind them because of HCA. Now if we only get a DO EM program in the area. Bayfront would be nice, trauma center and all.

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Was just going to ask about this as I've been hearing "stuff" about Suncoast for some time now. Are they taking over the Suncoast facility or just transferring things over to Largo Med?

Nice to know they're at least keeping the programs around. At least they'll have a little more stability behind them because of HCA. Now if we only get a DO EM program in the area. Bayfront would be nice, trauma center and all.
Suncoast is now a facility of Largo Medical Center...not sure if that answers your question. Starting next month I'll be spending a lot of time there :eek: so feel free to pm w/ any questions about the program.

JaggerPlate

10+ Year Member
May 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
ToohotinVegas .... your 'SDN' moron list makes me laugh. I'm going to do all that I can do avoid that list (you handsome devil) :laugh:.

OP
Toohotinvegas33

Toohotinvegas33

Currently Glasgow 3
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2006
Penal Colony
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ToohotinVegas .... your 'SDN' moron list makes me laugh. I'm going to do all that I can do avoid that list (you handsome devil) :laugh:.
Im glad a someone appreciates it. enjoy it while its up, ill will probably get banned for it soon :p.

Donvb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Any other news on new residency positions coming into Oregon?