1. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice

9 on Verbal - no chance for MSTP?

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by PhysicianScientist, 09.21.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. PhysicianScientist

PhysicianScientist 2+ Year Member

Would an applicant who took the MCAT once and got a 33 with a retake of 36 (14 PS/13 BS/ 09 VR) and a 3.75 GPA with good research (multiple pubs) have a decent shot at a good MD/PhD program or is the 9 in VR and the fact that they retook a deal breaker?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ValentinNarcisse

ValentinNarcisse 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you will be fine.

PhysicianScientist likes this.
  4. StIGMA

StIGMA Doctor Professor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    PhD
    I agree. Apply on time to at least 15 programs.

5. Maebea

Maebea Member 10+ Year Member

Apply before time. Invitations to interview are released on a rolling basis. Apply early in the cycle to give yourself the best chance.

6. globe199

globe199 2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    As others have said, you should be fine. Remember the MCAT is just one piece of the application; your research LORs are much more important in getting programs to consider interviewing you. Your overall MCAT will at least get you looked at!

I know this is just my own anecdote, but I also applied with a 9 on VR and interviewed at most of the "top" MSTPs on the US News list (for what it's worth). I also didn't submit my application until July and wasn't complete until mid-August due to waiting on LORs. Still, it's a good idea to try to get in your application as early as possible!

7. StIGMA

StIGMA Doctor Professor 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Verified
    PhD
    Of course "on time" implies a timely application- I frequently post that mid-July is a good goal. Mid-July should be a personal deadline to have your AMCAS submitted in full & ideally already verified. I am not aware of an additional benefit to applying the first day/week the cycle opens.

Last edited: 09.22.14

About the ads