SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

9 year old girl who cannot tell the difference between imagination and reality

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by annared, Dec 8, 2010.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annared

annared

Nov 26, 2010
    Hi,

I am not sure if it's the kind of questions you ask here or not; however, I decided to ask anyway, if it's not the right forum, I'd love to be directed to a more suitable forum.

As I mentioned in the title, I have a case of a 9 year old child who believes for instance that fairies actually do exist, even though she admits she never saw one. she also thinks that fairies in movies are real acting fairies....
    I thought about bringing her a movie that has fairies in it, with the exception that it does not strive to make kids believe in fairies....

what do you think? any ideas for such a movie? any other ideas?
    I'd appreciate any piece of advice/information!!

Take care :)

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. erg923

erg923 Psychologist-Health Insurance Operations 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    why/how exactly is this a problem?

4. annared

annared

Nov 26, 2010
    well... it's a stage she should have passed at the age of 5

plus, she acts in a very eccentric way at school. she gets carried away with her imagination, and doesn't really understand the concept of social conduct. I mean she could start barking at her class mates because she thinks she is a dog... once she actually tried to eat cards because she thought they were cookies...

5. erg923

erg923 Psychologist-Health Insurance Operations 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2007
    I am not sure there is much empirical evidence that beliefs such as imaginary friends, make-believe play, etc, ceases at age 5? Where did you get that?

Regarding her other purported behaviors, I do not know what your role in her treatment is, but obviously, if you suspect serious psychiatric/developmental issues (ie., early-onset schizophrenia or autism) then I suggest you refer to a senior mental health provider for proper evaluation. I do not think it wise to engage in case discussions on a public forum.

6. stigmata

stigmata 2+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2010
    cheyenne, wyoming
    Nope this is not appropriate. Hopefully the MOD fairy arrives soon.

7. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    MOD NOTE: I agree. This isn't an appropriate question for the forum, as it seems to seek professional advice about a particular person, which we cannot ethically answer. Closing. -t4c

If there is concern, please refer them to a local mental health professional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.