90.8% of the USC School of Dentistry Class of 200

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc Ock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am pleased to announce that 90.8% of the USC School of Dentistry Class of 2009 has officially graduated on-time.

'Nuff said.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
how'd they do on the boards?

USC in recent years has done well on part 1. Last I saw in writing, just shortly before I got here, reported that the students that year scored in the top quintile of all schools (~top 11). WREB's are also a strong point. However I also heard before arriving and a little since being here that we don't fair as well on part 2 boards.

Wish I had numbers but all I can offer you is this: "This year, over 90 percent of our senior class will graduate on-time, excelled on the National board Examinations, and did exceptionally well in their licensure examinations." http://www.usc.edu/hsc/dental/update/june09/DEANSREPORT.html

So 14 people didn't graduate on time? I'd ask for my 400K back! :laugh:

It's worth noting that those 14 students only missed the on time check out day this spring and only need to stick around long enough to finish their clinical requirements (not necessarily an entire year). Could be a day, week, month, or summer. Additionally they do not have to pay tuition over the summer. They just miss out on the money they could be making. :thumbdown:

This is not an excuse, but just a clarification. ;)

Thanks to the guy above who clarified a bit. Regardless, maybe I'm missing something but is a number like 90.8% something to be pleased about? Maybe relative to the past several years of academic turmoil at USC but among other dental schools I'm fairly sure that number is still staggeringly low. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Thanks to the guy above who clarified a bit. Regardless, maybe I'm missing something but is a number like 90.8% something to be pleased about? Maybe relative to the past several years of academic turmoil at USC but among other dental schools I'm fairly sure that number is still staggeringly low. Correct me if I'm wrong...

higher than NYU according to my graduating buddy

Eh I should have left NYU exempt from that statement probably. They've had a little trouble with graduation rates too but I feel like that probably comes with the territory when your class is so large. Besides NYU, is that number still pretty awful?

From what I've heard at dental education conferences, above 90% ON TIME graduation for a class is good. From what I remember there are very few schools that have 100% out ON TIME. Think about it, our deadline was June 15th for on time graduation at SC. Some students may be a week away from getting done, so it was maybe 11-13 students that didn't make it out by the deadline.

A school can only do so much for its students, you still have to be the one to complete your requirements, get stuff signed, pay your dues, etc, to get out on time. I would say that nearly 91% of the class being done on time is great. I would venture to bet that another 6-9 students will probably finish with in the next few weeks, and then there will be those 3-4 students that linger for a while.

"Eh I should have left NYU exempt from that statement"

Why? Regardless of the size of the class, there should be enough resources for all students to graduate on time. If not, then the class size needs to be smaller. Especially with the tuition private dental schools charge. And NYU was touted as having this huge clinical up to date facility. Remember, the important qualification is ON TIME. You can eventually have a 100% graduation rate, but this doesn't necessarily mean on time. Would you exempt smaller schools then from this analysis because they might have more resources per student? How can you cherrypick what schools to include and which schools to exclude? Doesn't make any sense.

I didn't mean they shouldn't be held to any different standards. I previously said I didn't think 90.8% is something to be pleased about among dental schools. Maybe I should have just said this statement doesn't apply to nyu since they apparently suck at graduating people on time. Excuse my improper contextual use of exempt.