90 Boots on Ground Policy for Army Reservists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alienman52

Straight from the Mothership
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have searched for information on this topic specifically before on SDN and haven't found much other than some snippets here and there.

I am aware of a 90 day boots on the ground policy for Army reservists during deployments, with 18 months in between deployments. (120 days max for processing etc)

Is this policy still in effect for 2017+? I am very strongly considering joining the reserves post residency, but want to maintain a civilian life as well. I would also like to know if physicians can do voluntary deployments instead of waiting 18 months between 90 day deployments. For example, I may want to deploy as soon as a join, is this a possibility?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Bear in mind that any policy can be rescinded or modified with the wave of a pen. As they say, past performance doesn't predict future results.

--
Il Destriero

I mean that doesn't answer either of my questions, but I appreciate the input nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many MEDAC physicians and soldiers have the opportunity to join another unit when they are deploying, this generally relies on your chain of commands will to not only push for what you want but to also be able to give you up for a certain period.
For reserves it works pretty identical though I have no idea whether the 90 day period can be waived or not, but as they say almost anything can be waived.
And for your question of if you can deploy whenever you wan't/right as you join\ that's a solid no. So all in all there are opportunities but do not rely on them to make your decisions.

Many MEDAC physicians and soldiers have the opportunity to join another unit when they are deploying, this generally relies on your chain of commands will to not only push for what you want but to also be able to give you up for a certain period.
For reserves it works pretty identical though I have no idea whether the 90 day period can be waived or not, but as they say almost anything can be waived.
And for your question of if you can deploy whenever you wan't/right as you join\ that's a solid no. So all in all there are opportunities but do not rely on them to make your decisions.

So the 90 day boots on the ground policy is a thing?

Yes, it's still in effect. As IlDestriero said, it's policy, which means it can be rescinded. That said, it's been around since the Army was deploying at a pretty frightening rate (the Army Reserve Corps supplies about half of the deployed docs, someone mentioned), so I'm comfortable with it not being a flash in the pan.

You can volunteer for deployments of any length, but need approval from your Chain of Command. I can see how that would be a real challenge on the active side, but I looked into deploying as ARNG, and my command has been supportive.

Have you read the Personnel Policy Guidelines? http://www.armyg1.army.mil/militarypersonnel/PPG/PPG_08-Aug-2013.pdf#page=19

There are exceptions to the 90 day policy for doctors assigned to certain positions requiring deployment for the entire cycle. 1-3f is the boots on ground rotation policy.

Deploying as soon as you join would never be quick - you would have to complete the accession requirements, DCC, BOLC, and the pre/deployment training. Your chosen specialty may not even be in need when you try to commission.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, it's still in effect. As IlDestriero said, it's policy, which means it can be rescinded. That said, it's been around since the Army was deploying at a pretty frightening rate (the Army Reserve Corps supplies about half of the deployed docs, someone mentioned), so I'm comfortable with it not being a flash in the pan.

You can volunteer for deployments of any length, but need approval from your Chain of Command. I can see how that would be a real challenge on the active side, but I looked into deploying as ARNG, and my command has been supportive.
1) He didn't say it was a current policy, he said, "any policy." This can imply a past policy that is no longer in effect, etc.
2) Thanks for the answer. I've been searching for this answer all over the place and I'm glad I can finally get some info!

Have you read the Personnel Policy Guidelines? http://www.armyg1.army.mil/militarypersonnel/PPG/PPG_08-Aug-2013.pdf#page=19

There are exceptions to the 90 day policy for doctors assigned to certain positions requiring deployment for the entire cycle. 1-3f is the boots on ground rotation policy.

Deploying as soon as you join would never be quick - you would have to complete the accession requirements, DCC, BOLC, and the pre/deployment training. Your chosen specialty may not even be in need when you try to commission.
I haven't read this, nor did I know it even existed, as I'm not even in med school yet. (Was just accepted this past August.) Thanks for the info. I guess I wont be able to apply as soon as I join, but I can always inquire what is in need/when is the soonest I can deploy upon joining.

Also:

"Officers in key leadership positions of Commander, Deputy Commander for Clinical Services (or equivalent), Officer-in-Charge of a Forward Surgical Team and those Command Surgeon positions at the Corps, Division and Brigade level (including Special Operations Command equivalent), are excluded from this policy and will remain for the duration of the mobilization."

Is this what you were referring to when you mentioned the exceptions to the 90 day rule? Can you think of any other exceptions? I would really love to join the reserves but don't think I would be suited for full deployment length as I'd like to maintain a civilian life as well.

Thanks

Also:

"Officers in key leadership positions of Commander, Deputy Commander for Clinical Services (or equivalent), Officer-in-Charge of a Forward Surgical Team and those Command Surgeon positions at the Corps, Division and Brigade level (including Special Operations Command equivalent), are excluded from this policy and will remain for the duration of the mobilization."

Is this what you were referring to when you mentioned the exceptions to the 90 day rule? Can you think of any other exceptions? I would really love to join the reserves but don't think I would be suited for full deployment length as I'd like to maintain a civilian life as well.

Thanks
The earliest any of this is relevant to you is 2024 after completion of residency. Even if you choose to join the Reserves as a medical student this Policy is subject to change - don't take the risk. Just wait until 2024 to join. Other exceptions - sure, instead of an expected deployment as a Surgeon on a Forward Surgical Team, your assignment is changed to Brigade Command Surgeon and required to serve for the entire deployment.

The earliest any of this is relevant to you is 2024 after completion of residency. Even if you choose to join the Reserves as a medical student this Policy is subject to change - don't take the risk. Just wait until 2024 to join. Other exceptions - sure, instead of an expected deployment as a Surgeon on a Forward Surgical Team, your assignment is changed to Brigade Command Surgeon and required to serve for the entire deployment.
Yep, I wasn't planning on joining until after residency, although I'm pretty sure I read there are no deployments for residents somewhere...could be wrong. It looks like the exception you mentioned was covered in the pamphlet statement above; would you be able to think of any others not included above? If not no worries! How likely is an exception to occur???

Yep, I wasn't planning on joining until after residency, although I'm pretty sure I read there are no deployments for residents somewhere...could be wrong. It looks like the exception you mentioned was covered in the pamphlet statement above; would you be able to think of any others not included above? If not no worries! How likely is an exception to occur???
Med students aren't deploying. No way. We're useless

Lol agreed. I also read something about no deployment for residents either.

It would have to be a ww3 level mess, the damage that would do to recruiting docs in the future would be ridiculous

You could deploy as a medical student or resident if you were in the regular reserve (non medical corps). They're not going to deploy HPSP folks or residents if you join the reserve as a physician.
Global war with China, North Korea, and Russia would be the exception. Though if Nuke Em Donald is at the helm there might not be anywhere to deploy to.

--
Il Destriero