90% PCAT Scorers who used Dr. Collins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileyman22336

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there. The purpose of this thread is to ask any of you individuals who took the pcat and score a 90% or above on the pcat who used Dr. Collins as your sole study guide, how you did it?

Did you review the notes within the packet, then take the test, then check the solutions manual for each section?

Then did you move onto the next section, and repeat the same process....

Then since there's several tests per packet, how did you do each one? After the other...2 packets a day? Etc...

I'm studying but I wanna know how to study using this packet most efficiently considering I'm taking the September PCAT.

Note that my previous PCAT score was horrible, below 30, so I'm really trying to ace this next one.

Please advise me on how you used Dr. C's material to study, and how often did you study a certain portion of the packet or did the tests, like, your routine in other words you felt is what was an important component of assisting you in scoring a 90% or above.

Also, any other general advice are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there. The purpose of this thread is to ask any of you individuals who took the pcat and score a 90% or above on the pcat who used Dr. Collins as your sole study guide, how you did it?

Did you review the notes within the packet, then take the test, then check the solutions manual for each section?

Then did you move onto the next section, and repeat the same process....

Then since there's several tests per packet, how did you do each one? After the other...2 packets a day? Etc...

I'm studying but I wanna know how to study using this packet most efficiently considering I'm taking the September PCAT.

Note that my previous PCAT score was horrible, below 30, so I'm really trying to ace this next one.

Please advise me on how you used Dr. C's material to study, and how often did you study a certain portion of the packet or did the tests, like, your routine in other words you felt is what was an important component of assisting you in scoring a 90% or above.

Also, any other general advice are welcome.

Moving to PCAT forum for better responses. :thumbup:

I think that people who score above 90 are usually the ones who have aced their pre-requisites.

Let's be realistic, if you scored a 30 on your first run, you probably won't score a 90 the second time by ONLY using Dr.Collins.

Dr.Collins is good for
- a quick summary of the basics
- practice, practice, practice

It won't work any miracles but it might help you get in the 70-80 composite range.

Go through his practice tests until you know all the concepts and how to handle all the different types of problems within the given time for each section.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to get a good feel for what you'll score on the PCAT, definitely invest in these:

http://www.tpc-etesting.com/pcatopt/

It's all computerized, gives you percentages that correlate very well to how you will actually perform on the PCAT, and gives an overview of how to tackle each question. Hope this helps!

YEs I've got them. From now until the test how often should I take one?

I think that people who score above 90 are usually the ones who have aced their pre-requisites.

Let's be realistic, if you scored a 30 on your first run, you probably won't score a 90 the second time by ONLY using Dr.Collins.

Dr.Collins is good for
- a quick summary of the basics
- practice, practice, practice

It won't work any miracles but it might help you get in the 70-80 composite range.

Go through his practice tests until you know all the concepts and how to handle all the different types of problems within the given time for each section.

I really need a 90 or higher is there anything else you'd recommend as well?

YEs I've got them. From now until the test how often should I take one?

It really depends on how you want to use them. I would take one each week before the pcat and add a few practice exams from other sources such as Kaplan or barron's. You want to make sure you study up on each section and balance in taking a practice exam to see where you are at throughout your preparation.

I scored at the 99th percentile using Dr. Collins. As I stated in your other thread, it's going to be completely unrealistic for you to expect a 90+ composite given your first attempt at the exam was below 30. (If you make a 50 point improvement, they're going to hold your exam scores until you can verify your identity.)

However, if you insist on asking this question ... Take each exam, study the questions that you miss and relearn those concepts. It's a very simple formula, but it worked great for me. I scored 499 on Quantitative and Chemistry and I didn't have a section below 90 other than Reading Comprehension (84). Dr. Collins will surely bump up your score, but if you retained such little information previously, his study guide will not get you into the 90s.

I scored at the 99th percentile using Dr. Collins. As I stated in your other thread, it's going to be completely unrealistic for you to expect a 90+ composite given your first attempt at the exam was below 30. (If you make a 50 point improvement, they're going to hold your exam scores until you can verify your identity.)

However, if you insist on asking this question ... Take each exam, study the questions that you miss and relearn those concepts. It's a very simple formula, but it worked great for me. I scored 499 on Quantitative and Chemistry and I didn't have a section below 90 other than Reading Comprehension (84). Dr. Collins will surely bump up your score, but if you retained such little information previously, his study guide will not get you into the 90s.

Thank you for your advice, it means a lot. I really hope I can be able to overcome the odds and get a 90 or above on the test, with that I think it'll help boost my application a lot. Currently I'm taking physics 1 and pre-calculus, hopefully I'll have more time during fall, but I've scheduled 2 hours every day just for studying, especially the math and chemistry sections. The bio I am just trying to memorize facts because that's what i figured the test mostly had on it.

I think it's possible if you're dedicated and commit. Like honestly, I started studying two months ago and first practice test I did (which was the diagnostic from Cliff's), I got only 5 out of 24 chemistry questions right. (I hadn't taken a chem course in 3 years)

and I was honestly considering not taking it. And then a friend of mine let me borrow her collins study guide. And it was just so easy to understand and remember everything again :).

So it is possible. Just study a lot. do a lot of questions. Practice, practice, practice. And know what your weak points are.