9th Edition of Adams and Victor's Neurology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluntdissector

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've read various discussions about 'core neurology texts' and what not. I specifically want to know if anyone here owns the 9th edition of the Adams and Victor's, as I am looking to purchase a good neurology 'reference' textbook. I already own the Harrisons IM (which I love), the Blumenfeld Neuroanatomy and the Mass Gen pocket-book. I have access the most of the Neuro journals through our library. So, as I said, I am looking for a big 'neuro-reference' book, and since the 9th edition is only a month or so old I would assume it would be a good one to get? (The Bradley is too expensive, I'll grab the Brazis later)

Any opinions?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the "old" timers are enamored with Adams and Victor's because it is a...classic? but I personally hated it and most people I know hated it too.

There is plenty of Neurology texts available now that you can use for reference. Personally, I think Bradley's two volumes of Neurology are much better.

Can anyone comment at all on Adams and Victor versus Goetz. I have heard pretty good things about both but just seeing if anyone has reasons that one might be better than the other. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment at all on Adams and Victor versus Goetz. I have heard pretty good things about both but just seeing if anyone has reasons that one might be better than the other. Thanks

Well, I can only answer the question I asked initially - I got the Bradleys, and I've seen some of Adam's in the library and online.

Bradleys is best IMHO.

Bradley's is like Harrison's; too detailed to read cover to cover, but a great reference to have on the shelf.

As for Goetz vs. Adams & Victors? A&V is a MUCH better text in my opinion, but I must honestly tell you I haven't bothered to give the 3rd edition of Goetz a try. We were required to buy the 2nd ed. of Goetz in med school and even at that level I found it incredibly lacking in detail and poorly organized. Once I sat down with A&V I realized I had finally found a good text for both reading entire topics and for quickly looking up stuff PRN. I'm planning on using A&V for our program's weekly reading sessions this coming year because it's a good text for both junior and senior residents. I also found that A&V was cited frequently in the NRITE answer books the last couple years. (~25 times in 2010...0 for Goetz).