A 4.00 student is ...[ share ]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raid KH

SpEcIaL MeMbEr
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hallo everyone ,
lets play a game that would probably help some students with some tips about becoming a good students ,
just describe a character of a 4.00 student :eek:
here I start :
A 4.00 student is the one who never procrastinate :rolleyes:
>

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A 4.00 student is someone who has never gotten any grade below an A.

/end

Hallo everyone ,
lets play a game that would probably help some students with some tips about becoming a good students ,
just describe a character of a 4.00 student :eek:
here I start :
A 4.00 student is the one who never procrastinate :rolleyes:
>

Not true.

A combination of a hard worker and more-than-slightly neurotic.

I used to be a 4.0 student, but then I took a B to the knee. (But really).

A 4.00 student is someone who has never gotten any grade below an A.

/end

This. There is too much variance between students to make definitive conclusions about 4.0 students (except for the above quote).

That said, there is a relatively straightforward road-map to position yourself to achieve a high GPA if that is your only goal:

1) Attend a low tier ranked school so you will be competing with cretin mouthbreathers

2) Major in some bulls*** like sociology

3) Take the minimum amount of credits and spread your tough courses out

4) Do thorough research on courses and profs. Pick ones that give out higher grades

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesnt trust what their teachers tell them.

Someone who works hard, depending on major/difficulty of undergraduate institution.

PS This does not imply state schools < Ivys. And I go to a "top 25" school (put in quotes because the rankings aren't that indicative of difficulty)

This. There is too much variance between students to make definitive conclusions about 4.0 students (except for the above quote).

That said, there is a relatively straightforward road-map to position yourself to achieve a high GPA if that is your only goal:

1) Attend a low tier ranked school so you will be competing with cretin mouthbreathers

4) Do thorough research on courses and profs. Pick ones that give out higher grades

Ehhh... Some can do that, but not all.
My cousin is a chem eng/bio double major with 152 credits doing a bunch of research and goes to a top 40 school.
Although it is a state school (UF) he has managed a 4.0 without ever dropping or retaking a class.

A 4.0 student will die in the end like the rest of us.

Maybe that was too harsh.

My 4.0 character has maxed out Intelligence and Willpower with 0 points in Charisma.

I'm not sure what else 4.00 students do.

I know they don't do drugs. They don't commit suicide either. They don't go to Cornell.

Oh, oh they like to get a full night's sleep (8hrs+)

A 4.00 student is a student neurotic enough to care about that second decimal point. A 4.0 student leads a much more relaxed life.

My 4.0 character has maxed out Intelligence and Willpower with 0 points in Charisma.

I believe wielding a 'letter of acceptance' is worth a +2 charisma augmentation, so no worries.

Good show, sirs.

When I see that someone had a 4.0 in college, it makes me suspect that they didn't really challenge themselves. I think it's important in life to sometimes bite off more than you can chew, to get in over your head, at least a little bit. If you don't from time to time attempt something more than you can comfortably manage, how can you know where your real limits lie?

Why am I sensing lots of stereotyping and jealousy on this thread???

When I see that someone had a 4.0 in college, it makes me suspect that they didn't really challenge themselves. I think it's important in life to sometimes bite off more than you can chew, to get in over your head, at least a little bit. If you don't from time to time attempt something more than you can comfortably manage, how can you know where your real limits lie?

When you hit med school.

I'll admit, I'm not done with school yet but keeping a 4.0 is possible with the right precautions. I consider myself risk averse is some respects because maybe I am apprehensive to bite off more than I can chew. But why would I sign up for a harder professor when there's a more lenient one available, for example?

I'm a chem major, and I know that once I hit classes like Physical Chemistry, I don't know how well (or how badly) I'll do. So for now, I set myself up in a very good position (high gpa) to prepare for any future obstacles. If I overcome those obstacles, great, but If I take a few Bs or potential Cs, my "safe" decisions I took now are going to balance it out.

Oh. Well, then okay.

Arrogant much?

Sent from my medical tricorder using Tapatalk

Don't mean be insulting/arrogant, I go to UT and if you work hard a 4.0 seems very achievable to me. You should definitely be proud of what you've accomplished though.

Don't mean be insulting/arrogant, I go to UT and if you work hard a 4.0 seems very achievable to me. You should definitely be proud of what you've accomplished though.

Regardless, a 4.0 for any major incorporating the pre-med track is very hard to achieve.

When you hit med school.

I'll admit, I'm not done with school yet but keeping a 4.0 is possible with the right precautions. I consider myself risk averse is some respects because maybe I am apprehensive to bite off more than I can chew. But why would I sign up for a harder professor when there's a more lenient one available, for example?

I'm a chem major, and I know that once I hit classes like Physical Chemistry, I don't know how well (or how badly) I'll do. So for now, I set myself up in a very good position (high gpa) to prepare for any future obstacles. If I overcome those obstacles, great, but If I take a few Bs or potential Cs, my &quot;safe&quot; decisions I took now are going to balance it out.

I would encourage you to not just play it safe with an expectation that one day in the future you'll cut loose and challenge yourself. Habits have a way of hardening and becoming quite difficult to shake.

As far why you'd sign up for a harder professor, do it because it'll push you to work harder and learn more. When I was a freshman, a (brilliant) upperclassman friend of mine was bemoaning the difficulty of the notoriously tough modern algebra sequence. It was widely agreed to be, he told me, the hardest math class at the institute. I immediately knew I'd have to take it. Several years later, I did. It was, as advertised, very difficult. The professor was a great teacher, helpful, friendly, cogent, but he expected a lot from us and the material was, in fact, highly abstract and very, very challenging. I worked hard. I contorted my mind into all manner of bizarre shapes. I spent countless sleepless nights, desperately trying to find solutions to the problem sets. I learned so much, and I honed my already pretty good analytical skills to a razor sharp edge. I had a blast. And in the end I earned a B in both semesters, which I considered to be a fine showing.

I did that because I'm the kind of person who sees a challenge and immediately wants to step up to it. Because I don't look for the easier professor, I look for the _hardest_ professor. Because I'm not afraid to take risks. Because I want to be all I can be.

I'd encourage you to reconsider your priorities. Do you really want to go through life looking for the safe, easy route, telling yourself that some day in the future will be the time that you actually challenge yourself and start living for real? Or do you want to push yourself to your limits?

So much yes.

So much no.

Agreed. Harder professors are not necessarily more effective educators (the reverse trend is probably true). And while it may be unhealthy to constantly shy away from challenges, it's equally absurd to make everything more difficult than it needs to be.

Want a challenge? Go skydiving with a large plastic trash bag.

I had a 4.0 at the time of submitting my app (have since gotten a couple B's). I'm a Biology major (obviously not a "bull****" major), I definitely didn't take the minimum number of credits, and my hard courses weren't spread out that much. I didn't cherry-pick the easy teachers, but tried to get the ones that taught the best (often the more difficult classes). No, I'm not at an ivy-league, but at a fairly well-regarded state school. I may have had to sacrifice in other areas of my life, but I'm not the typical neurotic pre-med.

Oh, well, my bad. It sounded like a slam on all schools non-Ivy. My apologies for the mistake. Don't know why I cared about that because I don't.

All it takes is being serious about what you're doing to get the 4.0. In my opinion it's not really a measure of your intelligence, just your maturity and work ethic.

4.0!?!?!? why not 10.0!??!

now-you-can-call-me-father.jpg

Oh, well, my bad. It sounded like a slam on all schools non-Ivy. My apologies for the mistake. Don't know why I cared about that because I don't.

All it takes is being serious about what you're doing to get the 4.0. In my opinion it's not really a measure of your intelligence, just your maturity and work ethic.

A 4.0 student is someone who needs to get out more, and probably needs to get laid.