A big dilemma about what to do the summer before applying to pharm school. Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

lstarr2002

Hello,

I'm currently a fourth year UC Berkeley student, scheduled to graduate this spring 2010.
I plan to apply this year (in september) and I am having problems deciding what to do this summer... and I was wondering if someone could help me make a decision.

So the only pre-req I have left for pharm school is human anatomy.
I can either take this at Berkeley in the summer or take it at a community college in San Diego during fall 2010.

But here's where my dilemma starts.
I am also planning to take the Pcat this August. I'm going to start taking the PCAT class offered by Kaplan this month... but considering the amount of school work I have to deal with right now, I'm really counting on this summer (late may till august test date) as my hard-core "studying time" to help me prepare for it.

Unfortunately, anatomy at Berkeley during the summer is extremely rigorous. It is an 8-wk course with 6 hours of lecture and 8 hours of lab per week..... So I have a feeling that this course may take a lot of time away that I need to study for the PCAT.

To make things a lot easier on myself and to give myself more time to prepare for the PCAT, I could just take the anatomy course at a community college in San Diego (my hometown) in fall 2010 and dedicate the entire summer just for preparing for the PCAT and volunteering to improve my resume. (staying an extra semester at Berkeley is out of the question for financial reasons).

HOWEVER, I am a bit uncomfortable about obtaining one of my science credits at a community college.... I've just heard so much about pharm schools preferring science courses to be taken at universities.

So...what do you guys think I should do?
1) Take the anatomy class at UC Berkeley
or 2) Take the class at a community college?
Do you think it would really hurt me if i decided to go the "easier" route and take human anatomy at a cc?

Help! please!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats!. I say chill take it at a CC. I'm a 2nd year at berkeley.. im dying.. save me >< chem 3b. bio1b blah
You just need IB131? take it at CC and save $$$..

or. I guess you could take ib131 during summer.. hmm I might be taking it

Hello,

I'm currently a fourth year UC Berkeley student, scheduled to graduate this spring 2010.
I plan to apply this year (in september) and I am having problems deciding what to do this summer... and I was wondering if someone could help me make a decision.

I can either take this at Berkeley in the summer or take it at a community college in San Diego during fall 2010.

I am also planning to take the Pcat this August. I'm going to start taking the PCAT class offered by Kaplan this month... but considering the amount of school work I have to deal with right now, I'm really counting on this summer (late may till august test date) as my hard-core "studying time" to help me prepare for it.

Unfortunately, anatomy at Berkeley during the summer is extremely rigorous. It is an 8-wk course with 6 hours of lecture and 8 hours of lab per week..... So I have a feeling that this course may take a lot of time away that I need to study for the PCAT.

To make things a lot easier on myself and to give myself more time to prepare for the PCAT, I could just take the anatomy course at a community college in San Diego (my hometown) in fall 2010 and dedicate the entire summer just for preparing for the PCAT and volunteering to improve my resume. (staying an extra semester at Berkeley is out of the question for financial reasons).

HOWEVER, I am a bit uncomfortable about obtaining one of my science credits at a community college.... I've just heard so much about pharm schools preferring science courses to be taken at universities.

Do you think it would really hurt me if i decided to go the "easier" route and take human anatomy at a cc?

Help! please!
What schools are you planning on applying to? That's where you will find out all the information you need about courses @ CC's. I think there are actually only like 2 schools (Iowa and one in Oregon) who look down on CC credits. I'd say make this much easier on yourself and just take it at a CC. It's only 4 credits... I doubt a school will deny you based on 1 class. Just do fairly well in it and you'll be all set.

Also, why are you taking the Kaplan course? I have not heard many good things about it preparing people for the PCAT. Save the money and get Dr. Collins!

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to apply to pretty much all the schools in california and a few out of state schools.
My GPA's really not all that great... so i'm not really hopeful about the ca schools... hoping the PCAT will save me and get me into good out-of-state pharm schools.

And about Kaplan... I'm doing the test-prep at Kaplan because that was the only place i could find. Can you tell me what Dr. Collins is????? I've never heard of it..;;;;

Totally get Dr Collins. And one CC course probably won't tip the scale at all unless you fail or do poorly. Save the money. Just make sure the schools you are interested in accept CC credits.

Just looked Dr. Collins up on google. I think It's offered only in Fort Lauderdale and Miami?? So I guess Kaplan is my only option. Or are you taking about the study guide?

I've taken the kaplan course before and I'll say it's kind of a waste of money. If you have the work ethic to read through the study materials yourself, then avoid kaplan and just study. They pretty much tell you all the stuff in the book and just go over all the stuff in their review books. If you need someone telling you to study, then go ahead and give your money to kaplan. But if you can tell yourself to study, then do that and save yourself money.

Dr. Collins has a self study program where you get the material and study by yourself. If you want to take the class, you have to be in Florida.

I am in the same situation as you are. I am a chemistry major and I am about to graduate. I was going to take anatomy in the summer but it is only in summer A, so it is one month of a lot of work.

I took the pcat last january and I studied only for a month and I got a 26 composite. They killed me in verbal and quantitative. It is not an easy test, or at least it is not that hard, but the pace is different from other types of test that one is accustomed to take. It is just practice.

I think you should only dedicate your entire time to study for the pcat. Just like if it were a regular full time load. Every day, every hour...Study like no tomorrow. And get that 90 composite...That I will do. I will take the june pcat and then the august pcat. And as I said I will study a lot... I am already registered for the personal class with doctor Collins down here in ft lauderdale, and I bought the pcat destroyer...

So my advice for you, is to give all your time for these two upcoming tests. If you get over a 90, not body is going to care if you took anatomy in summer or not...A 90 is killer...Let's get that 90.

Bye:thumbup:

Hello,

Help! please!

From my exp I dont think taking 1 CC class is going to hurt you. So as long as you get an A. I took 5 sciences pre req at CC and got into a CA School.

One science course at a community college isn't gonna hurt you especially if you are planning on an A in anatomy :)