SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hey guys-

please take the seconds to fill this out. If this bill is passed (I think Illinois is the first) it will set precedent as to who can claim to be a 'doctor'.

Misrepresentation by Chiros vs Dentists vs CRNA or anyone else who claims to be a 'medical' doctor will seize. On the ASA website they claimed for example how 71% of people polled believed a dentist was a medical doctor. I think this is particularly important in the Pain world where everyone under the sun claims to be a 'pain doctor'. IF you dont believe me, time in Pain Doctor onto google and see how many chiros pop up.

http://www.capwiz.com/asa/issues/alert/?alertid=14813846

Please do this!

Last edited:

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Good job bringing this to our attention! This is an issue I very much believe in.

I've sent the link to all my partners.

ampaphb

Interventional Spine
10+ Year Member
May 13, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Status
Attending Physician
Hey guys-

please take the seconds to fill this out. If this bill is passed (I think Illinois is the first) it will set precedence as to who can claim to be a 'doctor'.

Misrepresentation by Chiros vs Dentists vs CRNA or anyone else who claims to be a 'medical' doctor will seize. On the ASA website they claimed for example how 71% of people polled believed a dentist was a medical doctor. I think this is particularly important in the Pain world where everyone under the sun claims to be a 'pain doctor'. IF you dont believe me, time in Pain Doctor onto google and see how many chiros pop up.

http://www.capwiz.com/asa/issues/alert/?alertid=14813846

Please do this!
So, according to my reading, a chiro would now have his name tag read Dr. John Smith, D.C., a PT Dr. John Smith, DPT, etc. Can still call themselves doctor, just now have to have alphabet soup after their name. Unless I am misreading, doesn't address who can call themselves a doctor at all.

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
So, according to my reading, a chiro would now have his name tag read Dr. John Smith, D.C., a PT Dr. John Smith, DPT, etc. Can still call themselves doctor, just now have to have alphabet soup after their name. Unless I am misreading, doesn't address who can call themselves a doctor at all.
Actually it does. This is from the ISA:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Take action now and let your voice be heard! The Illinois Society of Anesthesiologists has introduced S B. 3509, "Truth in Health Care Professional Services Act." This bill would require an advertisement for health care services to identify the type of license held by the health care professional pursuant to the definitions, titles and initials authorized under his or her licensing Act. Further, it would require a health care professional to conspicuously post and affirmatively communicate the professional's specific licensure.

Please contact your state senator today and ask the legislator to support S.B. 3509. It is imperative that the legislators understand this is a consumer safety issue rather than a scope of practice battle. A copy of S.B. 3509 can be accessed here: Text of S.B. 3509.

Below are points you may wish to discuss in a letter to your state senator. An editable form letter is also provided on the ASA Capwiz page.

This is a consumer protection bill:
Many patients come to their physicians having done their homework. They know about their medical qualifications, publications and research interests. Not all patients do their research or may be mislead by advertisements and claims regarding health care services.
We want patients to know whether their "doctor" is a physician, nurse, podiatrist, chiropractor, physical therapist, psychologist, etc.
This bill is about educating our patients:
Patients confuse medical doctors with non-physician providers.
The AMA conducted a study of the general public and the results show that patients are confused about who is a medical doctor. The survey indicates that 77% of the general public believes a dentist is a medical doctor.
We want patients to be able to make informed choices about their health care.
This bill will improve patient safety:
We are asking that providers be truthful and transparent about presenting themselves to patients. Truthful and transparent about: who they are, what credentials they are entitled to use according to their licensing act, and what they are qualified / licensed to perform.
Patients look to medical doctors to treat serious conditions and care for their families. When non-physicians advertise that they can treat conditions without the education and training, it put patients' lives at risk.
Identification badges serve as a critical part of a health care facility's overall security plan.
This bill answers the public's demand for transparency:
93% of those surveyed supported legislation requiring all medical advertising materials to clearly designate the level of education, skills, and training of all health care professionals promoting their services.
Requiring providers to wear identification badges would enhance patient safety by reducing potential for confusion, both for the patient and amongst facility employees.
Please use the following CapWiz link to email your state senator to urge support for S.B. 3509: http://www.capwiz.com/asa/issues/alert/?alertid=14813846&type=st

Thank you for participating in this vital effort.

Ralph Glaser, M.D.
President, Illinois Society of Anesthesiologists

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Good job bringing this to our attention! This is an issue I very much believe in.

I've sent the link to all my partners.
Great. I emailed his to almost EVERY physician I know. If you dont have an illlinois address...just use someone's. This is very important to all of us! Again, especially to Pain Docs.

ampaphb

Interventional Spine
10+ Year Member
May 13, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Status
Attending Physician
Last edited:

SleepIsGood

Support the ASA !
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Actually, it doesn't. It would probably help if you read the bill (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=76&GA=96&DocTypeId=SB&DocNum=3509&GAID=10&LegID=51435&SpecSess=&Session=), rather than the spin

I spoke to the bill's sponsor, who agreed that the bill will not force non physicians to remove the word "doctor". They hope to accomplish that through the Illinois State Medical Board sometime down the road
I just called their office. Agreed.

Regardless it's a great start. I urge everyone here to support it. I think it would set a great precedence. As you all know, in law it's all about setting precedent.

Last edited:

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Actually, it doesn't. It would probably help if you read the bill (http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=76&GA=96&DocTypeId=SB&DocNum=3509&GAID=10&LegID=51435&SpecSess=&Session=), rather than the spin

I spoke to the bill's sponsor, who agreed that the bill will not force non physicians to remove the word "doctor". They hope to accomplish that through the Illinois State Medical Board sometime down the road
You cannot stop the use of the word "doctor." They are doctors and have doctorate degrees. The intent, as I read it, is to stop these doctors from implying they are physicians, particularly that they are, or are equivalent to MD/DO.