A bit concerned about reviewing certain material...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlecalvaria

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So from what I've gathered, you need to know Gen Chem, Physics, Bio, and O-Chem for the MCAT. I think I could do fine on the Physics+Bio+O-Chem part (bc i'll be taking it this year and it will be more fresh in my mind). But I hated Gen-Chem and I hated how much math was involved in some of the work. So when you take the MCAT, how advanced are the Gen Chem questions? I really don't know how I'm going to relearn all that stuff I hated doing before.

Also as far as Bio goes, what courses would I need to take to make sure I'm adequately prepared? So far I've taken Gen Bio, Genetics. In another year I will have taken O-Chem and Gen Bio II (they dont call it this at my school but I think that's it, it says it focuses on cellular structure+function?).

What else would I need to make sure I do well?

Members don't see this ad.

So from what I've gathered, you need to know Gen Chem, Physics, Bio, and O-Chem for the MCAT. I think I could do fine on the Physics+Bio+O-Chem part (bc i'll be taking it this year and it will be more fresh in my mind). But I hated Gen-Chem and I hated how much math was involved in some of the work. So when you take the MCAT, how advanced are the Gen Chem questions? I really don't know how I'm going to relearn all that stuff I hated doing before.

Also as far as Bio goes, what courses would I need to take to make sure I'm adequately prepared? So far I've taken Gen Bio, Genetics. In another year I will have taken O-Chem and Gen Bio II (they dont call it this at my school but I think that's it, it says it focuses on cellular structure+function?).

What else would I need to make sure I do well?

I haven't taken the MCAT yet but I learned a lot in molecular cell biology; and its an interesting class too.
From reading others` posts on here, TBR Gen chem and EK Bio are good review for the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also you can search SN2ed's post in the forum on the best books that will prepare you for the MCAT.

IMO, its very difficult to half-a** any section of the exam, especially the gen-chem. portion, and expect a decent score as it makes up 45-50% of the average MCAT physical sciences section. Not only that, but many of the problems on the exam arn't always clear cut between one subject and the other. The material for the general chemistry portion is broad based and ranges from simple atomic interactions and periodic table trends and goes all the way up to energy of reactions and nuclear phenomena.

Also, keep in mind that all sciences are built upon physics. So, if you can understand physics, it shouldnt be too much of a stretch to get the general-chemistry portion down.

I personally didnt give much attention to the O-Chem portion of the exam as its usually a small part of the biological sciences portion of the MCAT. But, I ended up having 3 straight passages on it during the June 18th exam...its gonna hurt :D

If you want to do well...know it all...and then some.

Yes I heard a couple other people on here that did not take O.Chem seriously and ended up seeing 3,4 passages in the MCAT. I think the beginning subjects to review would be Physics, O.Chem, and then other science sections (IMO)

Ok so when should be a good time to take it? I think by the end of junior year I will have taken all the courses necessary to cover all the material but is that too late?

Ok so when should be a good time to take it? I think by the end of junior year I will have taken all the courses necessary to cover all the material but is that too late?

People that I've talked to take it between January - May so that they can get their scores back soon and apply by summer. But the bottomline is, take it whenever you're ready.

Most websites I've read that it's best to take it 12-18 months before you plan to start med school. So since I'd probably start in Fall of 2012, I should probably take it in Spring of 2011 or Fall of 2011, does that sound good?

Also what level of Physics is it on the mcat? Is it Calculus based physics?

Also what level of Physics is it on the mcat? Is it Calculus based physics?

From the practice tests I've taken so far, I don't really think any knowledge of calculus is necessary, beyond understanding that dx/dt = velocity, and such. It might help if you have to derive an equation, but ideally, you should have those memorized anyway. Just your basic 1st and 2nd semesters of intro physics... more here: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/pstopics.pdf
And keep in mind that difficult or complex calculations are unlikely, what with no calculators being allowed and all.

Yeah I don't think there's any calc involved either. I have to take physics calc based though since I'm a chemistry major.

No calculus need at all. Not much math at all either. It's all simple math but you have to be great at it. G. Chem is not that bad if math is all you're worried about because the MCAT is mostly concepts and not too much MATH based.

Hope this helped,

-LIS