1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

A bit of animosity b/w Cornell and Columbia?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Rebs, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Rebs

Rebs Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have not been to the other NYC schools but I noticed that some of the students at both schools seemed to bring up the other. Animosity may be too strong of a word, but perhaps its some kind of competition between the two. Students at both schools seemed interested if I had interviewed at the other and then proceeded to give their 2 cents about the other. Did anyone notice this too or I am way off?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Wouldn't surprise me. Their hospitals merged a few years ago so perhaps they encounter one another far more than back in the old days when they'd meet only for Rugby games.

4. lazygunner

lazygunner Formerly letmein10
    5+ Year Member

Definitely sensed the same thing. Whenever the topic of choosing a medical school came up with students at either interview, they would discuss how they chose their school over a "particular other NYC school." Not too subtle with what they were referring to. Nonetheless I would be extatic to be at either school, let alone have to choose between them.

5. Rebs

Rebs Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What did everone think about Cornell's curriculum of 8-1 PM with nearly all PBL?

6. lazygunner

lazygunner Formerly letmein10
    5+ Year Member

I'm a fan. Of course the PBL part completely depends on the other people in your group, but from what i've seen, students at schools where classes end early in the afternoon are much happier because they have plenty of time to study and pursue their outside interests.

7. soprano

soprano Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm a student at Cornell and I've noticed a lot of talk about our curriculum being "nearly all" PBL. I just wanted to dispel that nasty little rumor... we have PBL for an hour and a half 3 times a week. The remaining time is spent either in lecture (usually no more than 2/day, but sometimes 3) or small group activities (Journal clubs, labs, or problem sets/discussion sections). We are certainly not "all PBL".

And as far as any animosity w/ Columbia, there isn't any, at least as far as I can tell. I think the talk that you hear at either school during interviews is purely to be helpful for the interviewing students. Columbia and Cornell couldn't be more different in terms of curriculum, so it's important to understand the differences between each, if one is choosing between them. The hospital systems are merged, but that's really more of a business issue than an educational one. The students don't see or interact w/ eachother as a general rule. (Our campuses are quite far away from eachother.)

Good luck w/ your decision! Any medical school that you choose will serve you well, especially if you are comfortable where you are.

8. PhotoMD

PhotoMD Rad!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I second the previous poster's comments. I don't think there is any animosity between the schools, and we rarely interact outside of pan-NYC med school mixers. The curricula are very different, and if you are accepted to both schools, I highly recommend you you base your selection completely on the one that better fits your personality or you are likely to be miserable.

9. greets fr. nyc

greets fr. nyc Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    another cornellian here,

animosity?
    haha.. when some of the strongest residents who are teaching on your 3rd year clerkship or 4th year Sub-I are from Columbia, or for that matter from Temple, or NYU, or Cornell, or Wash U, or a Qatari who went to a Russian Med school (this guy was awesome), it's hard to have animosity to any med school. Everyone is so inbred at the clinical level, seriously! Don't forget that. :)

really the question is where do you want to live for the next four years and have the best quality of life. you'll get great training on the medical side pretty much anywhere so long as you are pro-active, work well on a team, and are conscientious. remember, med school is pretty much a general medical education vs. residency, which is much more specialized (the differences can be quite large between residency programs). in the end, pick the place you'll be happiest at. a nice reputation is fine, but if you're miserable, that's a whopping huge amount of sweat, time, and dinero you're spending!

good luck,

MS4 and 5 months counting.... hallelujah!