A bittersweet day...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khybs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The low:
So I woke up today, logged on to nrmp... got the "Congrats! You ranked into a ONE year program!" Thanks, so I didn't get rad onc huh? Damnit... at least I got my transition year program... Ok, time to get drunk and drown my sorrows, right?

The high:
One hour later, I get a call... the AMA has awarded me my research grant I applied for 6 months prior for Prostate cancer research... yea! So now my app is even stronger for the scramble... for the 2 spots which are probably mistakes anyway...

Another low: Then I got a flat tire...

what a strange day... I'm scared to wake up tomorrow...

anyone else have an interesting story?

k

Members don't see this ad.

No interesting story, but congratulations on the grant and I wish you te best of luck in the scramble...hope you have another "high" today.

khybs said:
The low:
So I woke up today, logged on to nrmp... got the "Congrats! You ranked into a ONE year program!" Thanks, so I didn't get rad onc huh? Damnit... at least I got my transition year program... Ok, time to get drunk and drown my sorrows, right?

The high:
One hour later, I get a call... the AMA has awarded me my research grant I applied for 6 months prior for Prostate cancer research... yea! So now my app is even stronger for the scramble... for the 2 spots which are probably mistakes anyway...

Another low: Then I got a flat tire...

what a strange day... I'm scared to wake up tomorrow...

anyone else have an interesting story?

k

Thanks! I hope so!

UHS05 said:
No interesting story, but congratulations on the grant and I wish you te best of luck in the scramble...hope you have another "high" today.

Didn't match, as well, but I'm praying for the Rochester spot. Unlikely, but had to give it a shot. Ended up scrambling for a prelim at UPitt, with the program director being very enthusiastic about helping me with research and promising to advocate for me for rad-onc spots in the coming year. In the meanwhile, he said he'd allow me to stay on as categorical and try to convince me to do hem-onc, as that is his specialty :)

I guess all this will work out in the end ... got to stay enthusiastic. I will say this - scrambling for anything (in my case prelims) is a pretty awful experience, and I'd suggest that people but prelim backups so they don't have to spend Tuesday on the phone begging for spots. It is a very frustrating ordeal ...

Anyway, whoever matched, let us know where you end up on Thursday!

Simul