khybs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
The low:
So I woke up today, logged on to nrmp... got the "Congrats! You ranked into a ONE year program!" Thanks, so I didn't get rad onc huh? Damnit... at least I got my transition year program... Ok, time to get drunk and drown my sorrows, right?

The high:
One hour later, I get a call... the AMA has awarded me my research grant I applied for 6 months prior for Prostate cancer research... yea! So now my app is even stronger for the scramble... for the 2 spots which are probably mistakes anyway...

Another low: Then I got a flat tire...

what a strange day... I'm scared to wake up tomorrow...

anyone else have an interesting story?

k

UHS05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2001
Philly
Visit site
Status
No interesting story, but congratulations on the grant and I wish you te best of luck in the scramble...hope you have another "high" today.

khybs said:
The low:
So I woke up today, logged on to nrmp... got the "Congrats! You ranked into a ONE year program!" Thanks, so I didn't get rad onc huh? Damnit... at least I got my transition year program... Ok, time to get drunk and drown my sorrows, right?

The high:
One hour later, I get a call... the AMA has awarded me my research grant I applied for 6 months prior for Prostate cancer research... yea! So now my app is even stronger for the scramble... for the 2 spots which are probably mistakes anyway...

Another low: Then I got a flat tire...

what a strange day... I'm scared to wake up tomorrow...

anyone else have an interesting story?

k

OP
K

khybs

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2005
Status
Thanks! I hope so!

UHS05 said:
No interesting story, but congratulations on the grant and I wish you te best of luck in the scramble...hope you have another "high" today.

SimulD

15+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2001
Alexandria, VA
Visit site
Status
Didn't match, as well, but I'm praying for the Rochester spot. Unlikely, but had to give it a shot. Ended up scrambling for a prelim at UPitt, with the program director being very enthusiastic about helping me with research and promising to advocate for me for rad-onc spots in the coming year. In the meanwhile, he said he'd allow me to stay on as categorical and try to convince me to do hem-onc, as that is his specialty :)

I guess all this will work out in the end ... got to stay enthusiastic. I will say this - scrambling for anything (in my case prelims) is a pretty awful experience, and I'd suggest that people but prelim backups so they don't have to spend Tuesday on the phone begging for spots. It is a very frustrating ordeal ...

Anyway, whoever matched, let us know where you end up on Thursday!

Simul